Motor City Sonics

Where will JV be playing this September?

Justin Verlander's team on September 1st.   

27 members have voted

1. 1. Where will Justin Verlander be playing this September?

• Boston Red Sox
    • Chicago Cubs
    • Detroit Tigers
    • Houston Astros
    • Los Angeles Dodgers
    • New York Yankees
    • Washington Nationals

I included two teams he hasn't been linked to yet -  Washington - because I think they could surprise people with a move - trying to win it all this year and Boston - because never underestimate Dave Dombrowski.     I don't really see a scenario where he ends up in Arizona, Colorado or Milwaukee and I don't think the Tigers would trade him in the division.   

He'll stay. They'll work a deal out with L.A. and it won't be good enough. The only one with any sense, JV,  lets AA know he's getting ripped off and vetos the weak trade.

He goes to LA and we eat Kazmir to get a nice prospect package. No Verdugo or Buehller but we get Stewart, Calhoun and Sheffield or something like that.

It might be the homer in me, but I don't think he goes anywhere.  I don't think clubs want to give up the prospects for him and I don't think the Tigers want to eat too much salary.

8 hours ago, Nastradamus said:

He goes to LA and we eat Kazmir to get a nice prospect package. No Verdugo or Buehller but we get Stewart, Calhoun and Sheffield or something like that.

I think its bigger than that.  I think JV and J-Wil go to the Dodgers and we do get Verdugo and Calhoun and a couple of their top pitchers and even a fifth, somewhat lower, prospect.     And we have to eat a third of JV's money.    

JV stays. The writing is on the wall. Avila will trade J Will for almost nothing and Avila/Ausmus will all be gone by October.

Chris I sells the team in December.

Two years from now Mark Zuckerberg sells the Tigers and the new owner moves them to Vegas.

5 minutes ago, thefunk said:

JV stays. The writing is on the wall. Avila will trade J Will for almost nothing and Avila/Ausmus will all be gone by October.

Chris I sells the team in December.

Two years from now Mark Zuckerberg sells the Tigers and the new owner moves them to Vegas.

NEVER.    MLB is pretty consistent with it's anti-gambling stance, they'd never allow a team in Vegas..............they move to St. George, Utah.  

the team is going to be sold, that much is true, the kids never cared about it and probably all shuddered when they saw their inheritance going towards the player payroll.  

4 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

NEVER.    MLB is pretty consistent with it's anti-gambling stance, they'd never allow a team in Vegas..............they move to St. George, Utah.  

the team is going to be sold, that much is true, the kids never cared about it and probably all shuddered when they saw their inheritance going towards the player payroll.  

It's been a tremendous investment. They may sell, but I'm sure they are happy Dad bought it.

12 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Actually, they are hypocritical about gambling.  They are more than willing to turn the other way if they can profit from it, thus their partnership with DraftKings.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I'd be curious to know how much money the team is losing due to payroll.

It wouldn't surprise me to learn they are not losing money.

I am also curious, but I think they probably do lose money this year. I don't think it is a lot though. Their tv contract isn't great. The fans hate the team and aren't going to games and buying 5 dollar pizzas that cost 12 bucks and 2 dollar beers that cost 10. They aren't getting fans to purchase playoff strips up front and then making money on the interest while they wait to refund it. They are selling fewer advance season tickets. They are still paying off the financing for comerica park. 

It wasn't that long ago that the tigers were a revenue sharing receiving team. 

But I also think it's ok for a team to lose money, because franchise values keep going up across the board. 

I'm sure if the NHL team and potential NFL team in Vegas do well, MLB would be more than willing to put a team there. 

7 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I'm sure if the NHL team and potential NFL team in Vegas do well, MLB would be more than willing to put a team there. 

I've only seen one 51's game in Vegas, and it was pretty hot.  Lack of humidity helps, but I can't imagine day games in that 110 degree heat unless it was a domed stadium.  A domed stadium is a bit of a waste, though, because it hardly ever rains there.

I'm unsure of how well MLB would draw in Las Vegas, but it seems to be only a matter of time before expansion hits there.  NBA Summer League--a different animal for sure--sold out Thomas and Mack this summer for good money, so it seems people want to see sports--especially the large number of LA transplants.

11 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

I've only seen one 51's game in Vegas, and it was pretty hot.  Lack of humidity helps, but I can't imagine day games in that 110 degree heat unless it was a domed stadium.  A domed stadium is a bit of a waste, though, because it hardly ever rains there.

I'm unsure of how well MLB would draw in Las Vegas, but it seems to be only a matter of time before expansion hits there.  NBA Summer League--a different animal for sure--sold out Thomas and Mack this summer for good money, so it seems people want to see sports--especially the large number of LA transplants.

It would look like Tampa part 2

I'm in the Verlander stays camp. 

For the record, I would hate to see him leave the organization. 

1 hour ago, mickeyb105 said:

Arizona has a roofed stadium. It doesn't rain there much does it?

2 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Arizona has a roofed stadium. It doesn't rain there much does it?

I haven't logged nearly the amount of time in PHX that I have in LV, but I got caught in one of the worst rains I've ever experienced when I was downtown near Majerle's.  It was tropical storm-bad, but absent the wind.  Likely a very large outlier, but something like that has never happened to me in about eight total months in Las Vegas over a decade.  Small sample size for sure.

Retractable roof seems likely for a Vegas stadium, or else I would suspect they would have a hard time drawing like they needed to.  The stadium built in Miami is probably what they needed in Vegas, and it certainly would look more in-place there.

Still feels like Montreal and North Carolina probably lead for any potential new MLB sites. 

Just now, Shelton said:

Still feels like Montreal and North Carolina probably lead for any potential new MLB sites. 

MTL makes a ton of sense, they miss baseball according to the few people I've met from there over the years.

yes, Montreal!  Bring back the Expos and I will forgive them for whatever stupid playoff structure they come up with.  

Rosenthal made a good point about a Verlander trade, in that if it is going to happen it will need to be agreed to with time to spare. For one thing, he has the right to decline a trade. I don't know how much time is given to a player, but I don't think it will be as simple as him just saying ok. For another thing, it's going to involve the tigers including cash, and the commish office has to approve that when it is more than a million. 

As for JV's ability to reject a trade, it wouldn't be surprising if he tried to use that to demand something to his benefit. For example, if he is traded he would lose his trade veto power. He might insist that he is given a no trade clause by his new team. There is the other thing regarding his vesting option. Could he insist that it is made into a simple player option? 

I don't know how long these things would take to hash out, but it probably means that we won't see something go down right at the deadline. 

28 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I would hate to see NC get a MLB team. We have 11 minor league teams here which we have enjoyed visiting over the years. Attended two day games just this week. 

7 minutes ago, 1776 said:

I would hate to see NC get a MLB team. We have 11 minor league teams here which we have enjoyed visiting over the years. Attended two day games just this week. 

Sounds like a good market for baseball. 

Help me understand something about the potential trade of Verlander. I'm assuming a primary reason for moving him is that we do not want to pay the rest of his contract in its entirety. Based on what we've heard, I would think that's maybe the main reason we would move him, even though we want to get a nice haul of prospects, too.

But if we REALLY don't want to pay the whole contract, then at some point, isn't it better to pay ANY amount short of the entire thing if it results in a trade that brings good talent back? I get that AA is negotiating and posturing at this point, saying we'd only pay the rest of JV's salary this year. But I mean if it takes us paying $30M+ of what is left, we are still saving more than half of what we owe him. How is that a bad thing?

8 minutes ago, VaBengal said:

Help me understand something about the potential trade of Verlander. I'm assuming a primary reason for moving him is that we do not want to pay the rest of his contract in its entirety. Based on what we've heard, I would think that's maybe the main reason we would move him, even though we want to get a nice haul of prospects, too.

But if we REALLY don't want to pay the whole contract, then at some point, isn't it better to pay ANY amount short of the entire thing if it results in a trade that brings good talent back? I get that AA is negotiating and posturing at this point, saying we'd only pay the rest of JV's salary this year. But I mean if it takes us paying $30M+ of what is left, we are still saving more than half of what we owe him. How is that a bad thing?

I've said before that a star pitcher is a unique asset because you are going to sell tickets for his games even if your team has a losing record, maybe even more so if you have a losing record. So it depends on how good they believe JV can remain over the life of his contract. They may judge he is worth as much to them here as paying his salary to play somewhere else.