Casimir

07/27/2017 Guaranteed No Loss Today

4 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I don't disagree with you, honestly.  You should be trying to score.

But realistically a player should know that at some point the other team is going to take exception even if it is irrational.  Alternately, when the actual benefit of scoring increases your odds of winning by less than 0.00001%, I think it is ok to take other factors into consideration.

I understand.  From my perspective, it just seems like an insult to the other team to let up and play differently with a big lead.  When I played baseball, I never expected the other team to let up with a big lead.  I was always more disappointed in my own team.  

It's hard to say exactly. No one expects the hitters to try to make an out or anything. 

On the play in question here, in addition to the game being out of reach, upton didn't even attempt a throw home even though the ball was hit hard and right to him, with no real incentive for upton to not attempt a throw. It doesn't matter if hosmer got to second on the throw. But upton sort of held it, double clutched, and lobbed it in. 

If I had to guess, upton saw the stop sign and figured the play was over, and then upon seeing Cain run through it he did the double clutch before realizing it was too late at that point. 

16 minutes ago, Shelton said:

It's hard to say exactly. No one expects the hitters to try to make an out or anything. 

On the play in question here, in addition to the game being out of reach, upton didn't even attempt a throw home even though the ball was hit hard and right to him, with no real incentive for upton to not attempt a throw. It doesn't matter if hosmer got to second on the throw. But upton sort of held it, double clutched, and lobbed it in. 

If I had to guess, upton saw the stop sign and figured the play was over, and then upon seeing Cain run through it he did the double clutch before realizing it was too late at that point. 

That is Upton's fault then.  

40 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

It's not a good look for the Tigers to give up 16 runs.  

At what point do you think it's OK for a team to let up and take it easy on the opponent?

Hmmmm...letting up?  I would certainty say in the 9th inning of a 14 run game.  My barometer is about 10 runs going into the 9th...right around there and you should probably ease up a little.  This is not to say you stop at thiiird when the ball is still bouncing around the corners, but if your thiiird base coach is holding you at thiiird in that scenario and you run through it....just not a good look.

I still try to get hits, hit a HR etc whatever, but running through a stop sign at thiird base in that scenario is not needed. The coach is waving you in...then you go.

This is not really about letting up IMO.  Not this specific scenario anyway.

Let's just put it this way: If the Tigers were up 99-0 on the White Sox with 2 outs in the 9th, the bases were loaded, and Miguel Cabrera was up, would you like him to hit a grand slam, or intentionally strike out?

He better hit the damn grand slam, and anyone who disagrees hates freedom, America, and the ghost of Ty Cobb

And if he has to ignore a take sign from the dugout, then all the better

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, pyrotigers said:

Let's just put it this way: If the Tigers were up 99-0 on the White Sox with 2 outs in the 9th, the bases were loaded, and Miguel Cabrera was up, would you like him to hit a grand slam, or intentionally strike out?

He better hit the damn grand slam, and anyone who disagrees hates freedom, America, and the ghost of Ty Cobb

He better not forget to flip his bat and strike a pose, too.

14 minutes ago, pyrotigers said:

Agreed, 

10 minutes ago, Casimir said:

He better not forget to flip his bat and strike a pose, too.

No reason to show boat, but no reason to hold back. When people held back on me, I always thought it was a bit insulting. If I suck, I deserve to know just how much. Maybe it ends up being motivating in the end. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Walewander said:

No reason to show boat, but no reason to hold back. When people held back on me, I always thought it was a bit insulting. If I suck, I deserve to know just how much. Maybe it ends up being motivating in the end. 

I agree for the most part, but I'm willing to look the other way if the opponent is Chicago.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

That is Upton's fault then.  

Not really. If there is no good reason to think that cain will be heading home (and when it's a hard hit single with the coach signaling to stop there isn't much reason to think he will be doing it), there is no reason to throw it and allow hosmer to waltz to second. 

It's also possible that upton figured he had little shot regardless and wasn't paying attention to the coach at all. 

Either way, Cain blew past the stop sign in a blowout and rondon got pissed. Guys get pissed for all sorts of reasons. I'm fairly certain most of the guys in the royals clubhouse have wanted a pitcher to retaliate for some perceived breach of baseball etiquette before. 

I think rondon had a right to pissed. I just wish he would have decided to get over it rather than retaliate. 

3 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Either way, Cain blew past the stop sign in a blowout and rondon got pissed. Guys get pissed for all sorts of reasons. I'm fairly certain most of the guys in the royals clubhouse have wanted a pitcher to retaliate for some perceived breach of baseball etiquette before. 

And I would have disagreed with them too.  

54 minutes ago, diaspora04 said:

Which brings up the question:  where are the trades?

Good question. I'm starting to think that we might really clean up on the Justin Wilson trade, though, if it happens. There are like fifteen teams in on him and we don't actually have to trade him, which puts us in a great position. 

3 hours ago, tiger337 said:

It is bush league for a team to give up 16 runs.  

Yes.  The Tigers deserve no free passes and no sympathy.  When you can't compete you should be ashamed, not resentful of those who can.  In the greater scheme of thing, players who underperform by even their own baselines of mediocrity - and make millions of dollars in the process - have forfeited the right to have hurt feelings when they under perform.  I don't care if it's "human nature."  They need to toughen up and grow a couple and stop expecting that a juice box labeled "sympathy" is a part of the deal. 

And the royals shouldn't complain and blame the entire organization when a pitcher hits a guy in the butt. 

2 hours ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

Honestly, I thought Bruce hit Moosetahkas because the Royals are a bunch of assholes. I'm fine with that.

Why are the Royals assholes?  If that 10 cent headed pitcher would have actually pitched, perhaps none of this happens.  Maybe if he tried a little professionalism at the end of a blow out instead of just offering up meatballs, he might have gotten 3 outs before the Royals scored again.  But no, that lazy bum just tosses up 90 mph fastballs because that's what he does.

Next time the Tigers are in Kansas City, that lazy bum needs to be put into the leadoff spot as a DH.  Let Kansas City pitch to him how they want.  After that lazy bum gets up from being on the receiving end of the HBP, the pinch runner comes in to relieve that lazy bum and brings along a pink slip for that lazy bum.

Booo friggin hooo, Kansas City is scoring too many runs.  Stop them from scoring.  It's an actual part of the game.  I think it's in the written rules.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Shelton said:

And the royals shouldn't complain and blame the entire organization when a pitcher hits a guy in the butt. 

You're right.  Moustaks should have charged the mound and knocked that lazy bum onto his lazy bum.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Why are the Royals assholes?  If that 10 cent headed pitcher would have actually pitched, perhaps none of this happens.  Maybe if he tried a little professionalism at the end of a blow out instead of just offering up meatballs, he might have gotten 3 outs before the Royals scored again.  But no, that lazy bum just tosses up 90 mph fastballs because that's what he does.

Next time the Tigers are in Kansas City, that lazy bum needs to be put into the leadoff spot as a DH.  Let Kansas City pitch to him how they want.  After that lazy bum gets up from being on the receiving end of the HBP, the pinch runner comes in to relieve that lazy bum and brings along a pink slip for that lazy bum.

Booo friggin hooo, Kansas City is scoring too many runs.  Stop them from scoring.  It's an actual part of the game.  I think it's in the written rules.

They have a guy that aims at heads with 99....crickets. Someone gets hit in the thigh and Duffy loses his ****.

Plus as Shelton pointed out in his link Hosmer and Moosetakhas are dicks.

8 minutes ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

They have a guy that aims at heads with 99....crickets. Someone gets hit in the thigh and Duffy loses his ****.

Plus as Shelton pointed out in his link Hosmer and Moosetakhas are dicks.

What does the interview have to do with last night?

Good grief, this probably doesn't escalate if that lazy bum pitches professionally from the beginning of the inning.  Or maybe you and others would prefer if MLB institutes a mercy rule.  And if you lose by the mercy rule, no orange slices for you after that game.

Just now, Casimir said:

What does the interview have to do with last night?

Good grief, this probably doesn't escalate if that lazy bum pitches professionally from the beginning of the inning.  Or maybe you and others would prefer if MLB institutes a mercy rule.  And if you lose by the mercy rule, no orange slices for you after that game.

You asked me why I thought the Royals were assholes.

Speaking of less than stellar acts of character.....

Francisco Rodriguez is being sued by his former landlord

John Wisely of the Detroit Free Press reports that current free agent reliever Francisco Rodriguez is being sued by his former landlord for damage to the rented property as well as missing artwork. The landlord is asking for $80,000 after having kept Rodriguez’s $15,000 security deposit.

The lawsuit says that Rodriguez damaged a bedroom TV, a crystal floor lamp, glass shelves in the bar, glass tiles in the master bath, and a Moroccan mirror in the powder room. Additionally, the suit claims that the bedding is stained and paint has chipped, as well as other damages. And the piece of art that is allegedly missing, which depicts a tiger, is valued at more than $10,000.

Rodriguez has not yet been served with the suit, but the landlord has been speaking to his managers.

The Nationals released Rodriguez, 35, two weeks ago after having signed him to a minor league contract in late June. He started the season with the Tigers, but struggled to a 7.82 ERA over 25 1/3 innings before being released.

Follow @Baer_Bill

Mud Hens just pulled off the 2-4-8-4-2 failed stolen base pick off attempt at 2B, CF retrieves the errant throw, overthrows it himself getting it into the IF and then a nice recovery of the second overthrow to get the runner easily at home.

2 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Did someone turn the MTS auto-censor off?

why shouldn't we all be able to use the language the White House does?