Casimir

07/27/2017 Guaranteed No Loss Today

Since we can't lose on the field today the organization is going to surely make up for it by getting ripped off in a trade(s).  They have our backs when it comes to misery.

Didn't much care for all the comments from the royals players after what apparently happened last night (I did not bother tuning in). I get it. Your guy got hit. Our guy got ejected. 

Rondon isn't the first player and won't be the last player to lose his cool. 

None of the Tigers will say it, and they shouldn't, but it sounds pretty bush league to run through a stop sign from the third base coach in the ninth inning of a blowout. Yada yada should have pitched better. I know. 

Anyway, keep the criticisms to rondon and his decision. His actions are his own. Reading the quotes from the royals throwing shade at the entire Tigers team was annoying. 

yeah in that situation you have the scoreboard and the rings to do your talking.  No need to expand on it further than that.

Can't move up in the draft today. But can close the gap. Wins by Oakland and SD move us a half game closer, 1 behind, them for 5/6

The bigger issue with Rondon, if I have the facts right, was his decision not to give a full effort in his appearance.  If that is true, I hope we never see him again.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Since we can't lose on the field today the organization is going to surely make up for it by getting ripped off in a trade(s).  They have our backs when it comes to misery.

Maybe one of our underperforming players bizarrely will be busted today as taking PEDs.

2 hours ago, Shelton said:

None of the Tigers will say it, and they shouldn't, but it sounds pretty bush league to run through a stop sign from the third base coach in the ninth inning of a blowout. Yada yada should have pitched better. I know. 

I did not hear about any of this until this morning, but it is never bush league to try to score a run.  Base running is the Royals game and there is no reason to stop. 

I think Rondon is a bush league player in general.  I do not believe he is serious about the game and I would not lose any sleep if they just released him and stopped making him the future closer year after year.  

• Like 2

July 27, 1938 - Tigers slugger Hank Greenberg hits home runs in his first two at bats against the Washington Senators, which, combined with his two home runs in the previous game, allows him to tie the major league record with home runs in four consecutive at bats.  Thirty-five players in major league history have hit home runs in four consecutive at bats - no one has hit home runs in five.

July 27, 1968 - Pitcher Denny McLain earns his 20th win of the season as the Tigers crush the Baltimore Orioles 9-0.  He is the third pitcher in major league history to win 20 games before the end of July, joining Rube Marquard in 1912 and Lefty Grove in 1931.

July 27, 1997 - Hall of Fame pitcher Hal Newhouser has his number 16 retired by the Tigers during a pregame ceremony at Tiger Stadium.  It is the 44th anniversary of the Tigers releasing Newhouser during the 1953 season. Unfortunately, the Tigers lose to the Milwaukee Brewers 11-7 as relievers A.J. Sager and Mike Myers combine to allow 5 ninth inning runs.  MotownSports poster BoomGaspar attends the game.

3 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I did not hear about any of this until this morning, but it is never bush league to try to score a run.  Base running is the Royals game and there is no reason to stop. 

I think Rondon is a bush league player in general.  I do not believe he is serious about the game and I would not lose any sleep if they just released him and stopped making him the future closer year after year.  

Of course a player should try to score. It's more about the fact the coach told him to stop. I don't know what Cain knew about where the ball was, but with the lead that big, trying to score when the coach is telling you to stop seems like a guy trying to run it in. It doesn't matter if he makes an out, so it's like he took the risk of making the kit and didn't care because another meaningless run to run it in was more important.

I agree that rondon is bush league. I don't like pitchers retaliating, but it's not a surprise when it happens. 

I don't think you should just cut him. The potential that he is good is still worth it. 

47 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I don't think you should just cut him. The potential that he is good is still worth it. 

first time next season he gets on a decent run, trade him (prolly too late for this year). Get the worth, lose the headache.

1 minute ago, Shelton said:

I agree that rondon is bush league. I don't like pitchers retaliating, but it's not a surprise when it happens. 

It seems like he is always involved in some sort of controversy - not trying hard enough, not staying is shape, etc. If he is not a distraction and they still think he is going to be good, they shouldn't cut him.  However, I don't expect he will ever change and I wouldn't care if they did cut him.  

• Like 1

Just now, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Rube

It all starts with the GM.  If you have a rube GM, you will have rube players.  

35 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I did not see the play, but I would say running through a stop sign at thiiird when you are up over 10 or so in the 9th inning...if not bush league is at least VERY poor form.

Just running hard with the thiird base coach waving you in...sure no big deal...the stop sign (I did not see it, but if that is what happened) is what would make it a big deal IMO.

29 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

It all starts with the GM.  If you have a rube GM, you will have rube players.  

Qft

1 hour ago, diaspora04 said:

The bigger issue with Rondon, if I have the facts right, was his decision not to give a full effort in his appearance.  If that is true, I hope we never see him again.

I'm fine with just releasing him.  They've suspended him once before.  His maturity was again questioned by management last night.  Just get rid of him.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

I did not see the play, but I would say running through a stop sign at thiiird when you are up over 10 or so in the 9th inning...if not bush league is at least VERY poor form.

Just running hard with the thiird base coach waving you in...sure no big deal...the stop sign (I did not see it, but if that is what happened) is what would make it a big deal IMO.

Do the unwritten rules suggest that the proper punishment for scoring a run is a bean ball?

16 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Do the unwritten rules suggest that the proper punishment for scoring a run is a bean ball?

I think it's relatively common to use a HBP as retaliation for breaking an unwritten rule. I don't know what all of the unwritten rules are, but they obviously exist. 

I think if you bunt in the 9th inning of a no hitter when the game is also out of reach, that can earn you a HBP. 

I think if you talk trash at a pitcher while rounding the bases you will get a HBP. 

Stealing bases late in a game when the game is out of hand probably qualifies. 

A batter looking at the catcher's signs. 

I don't think the retaliatory HBP is going anywhere. But they could reduce them if they start handing out bigger suspensions for doing it.