Casimir

07/21/2017 8:10pm Detroit Tigers @ Minnesota Twins

Live from Minneapolis, Minnesota...

5989642016.gif peii986yf4l42v3aa3hy0ovlf.gif

Detroit Tigers (43-51) @ Minnesota Twins (48-46)

TV on FSD.  Radio on 97.1 the Ticket and your MLB At Bat app.

July 21, 1936 - Tigers player-manager Mickey Cochrane suffers a nervous breakdown and is replaced as manager by coach Del Baker.  Baker will manage 34 games before Cochrane returns to the team, posting a record of 18-16.  The Tigers will finish the season with a record of 83-71, good for second in the American League but 19.5 games back of the first place New York Yankees, who win 102 games and the '36 World Series.

July 21, 1945 - The Tigers play the longest game in their history by innings, tying the Philadelphia Athletics 1-1 in 24 innings.  The game is called on account of darkness after each team has gone 17 innings without scoring.  Tigers pitcher Les Mueller throws 19 2/3 innings and faces 74 batters, both single game records for the team.  No major league pitcher has gone that far since.

July 21, 2008 - The Tigers become the first team in 58 years to score 19 or more runs 3 times in a season as they pound the Kansas City Royals 19-4.  Miguel Cabrera has 6 RBI, Matt Joyce has 5, and Gary Sheffield has 3 in the Tigers romp.  Royals pitcher Jimmy Gobble is hit hardest, giving up 10 earned runs in a single inning of work.  Backup infielder Tony Pena pitches the 9th inning for the Royals, setting down the Tigers in order, including a strikeout looking against Hall of Fame catcher Ivan Rodriguez.  The team had previously scored 19 runs against the Twins on May 24 and the Rangers on April 23, making them the first team to do so 3 times since the 1950 Boston Red Sox.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BoomGaspar said:

July 21, 1936 - Tigers player-manager Mickey Cochrane suffers a nervous breakdown and is replaced as manager by coach Del Baker.  Baker will manage 34 games before Cochrane returns to the team, posting a record of 18-16.  The Tigers will finish the season with a record of 83-71, good for second in the American League but 19.5 games back of the first place New York Yankees, who win 102 games and the '36 World Series.

July 21, 1945 - The Tigers play the longest game in their history by innings, tying the Philadelphia Athletics 1-1 in 24 innings.  The game is called on account of darkness after each team has gone 17 innings without scoring.  Tigers pitcher Les Mueller throws 19 2/3 innings and faces 74 batters, both single game records for the team.  No major league pitcher has gone that far since.

July 21, 2008 - The Tigers become the first team in 58 years to score 19 or more runs 3 times in a season as they pound the Kansas City Royals 19-4.  Miguel Cabrera has 6 RBI, Matt Joyce has 5, and Gary Sheffield has 3 in the Tigers romp.  Royals pitcher Jimmy Gobble is hit hardest, giving up 10 earned runs in a single inning of work.  Backup infielder Tony Pena pitches the 9th inning for the Royals, setting down the Tigers in order, including a strikeout looking against Hall of Fame catcher Ivan Rodriguez.  The team had previously scored 19 runs against the Twins on May 24 and the Rangers on April 23, making them the first team to do so 3 times since the 1950 Boston Red Sox.

I gotta say, I really appreciate these posts.

A few things...

1. A nervous breakdown, in 1936?!? Black Mike was a snowflake? 

2. 19 2/3 innings. You know, just under the number of innings that some closers work during the season.

3. The Thread of 1000 Runs? How many runs will the Tigers score in 2008? Well, not as many as you might think. You hear that they scored nineteen or more runs three times in the same season, you might think that they were a juggernaut. They were often naut. 

I still think of Jimmy Gobble being left out there to dry, though.

24 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Is there a game today?

Yes, Virginia, there is a game today. This game exists as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist. Alas! How dreary would be this day if there were no game! It would be as dreary as if there were no Virginias. There would be no childlike faith then, no poetry, no romance to make tolerable the annihiating meaninglessness of this Hades in which we abide, that covers all its inmates with its gloomy vapors, and casts shadows upon even the holiest of eyes.  Yes Virginia, there is a game, a game which we are certain to lose, a loss that will make our journey through this interminable darkness yet more painful still. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

I wonder how much flack he took for trying to get on top of his mental health during those days. 

I wish I would have asked my grandfather on my dad's side about this when he was still alive.

I wish my grandfather on my mom's side was still alive when I was born. My mother is named after Mickey Cochrane and she named me after him as well, since he never got to name a boy after him.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Walewander said:

I gotta say, I really appreciate these posts.

A few things...

1. A nervous breakdown, in 1936?!? Black Mike was a snowflake? 

2. 19 2/3 innings. You know, just under the number of innings that some closers work during the season.

3. The Thread of 1000 Runs? How many runs will the Tigers score in 2008? Well, not as many as you might think. You hear that they scored nineteen or more runs three times in the same season, you might think that they were a juggernaut. They were often naut. 

I still think of Jimmy Gobble being left out there to dry, though.

2008 was a disaster because of the pitching. Offense was still pretty good from what I remember. 

26 minutes ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

lol, the cubs are tigersing their win streak. up 3-2 entering the 8th, it's now 11-3, *nobody* out.

This is a game that is going to make all the horrible Cubs fans start bitching and moaning as if they didn't just win the World Series in dramatic fashion last October. 

And it's the cardinals doing it! So nice. 

30 minutes ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

lol, the cubs are tigersing their win streak. up 3-2 entering the 8th, it's now 11-3, *nobody* out.

Apparently it's Rondon's fault.

With the Dodgers' loss last night, they need 4 straight wins to be 35-5 in their last 40. 

Has any team, regardless of doing so to start season or not, come that close since 1984?

58 minutes ago, Shelton said:

2008 was a disaster because of the pitching. Offense was still pretty good from what I remember. 

The Tigers were picked to win the World Series by many, and perhaps even score 1000 runs! What a cruel turn of events. 

The problem with the 2008 projections were that most of the people that predicted them just assumed guys like Granderson and Magglio would just repeat their performances from the year prior and that just wasn't likely to happen.  Couple that with the down year from Renteria and the relatively down year from Miggy and that's why the offense while still great wasn't historically great like many predicted. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

With the Dodgers' loss last night, they need 4 straight wins to be 35-5 in their last 40. 

Has any team, regardless of doing so to start season or not, come that close since 1984?

Found this

http://seamheads.com/blog/2013/11/26/scalding-50-game-stretches-in-mlb-history-and-how-teams-did-immediately-before-and-after/

2008 was the year Sheffield joined the Tigers wasn't it?   He was supposed to make a big difference. Why does adding one more "big bat" never seem to do the trick? That happened with Prince too.

Sheffield was actually the year before and if memory serves me right he struggled for a few months to start the year.  Honestly though Sheffield's Tigers career is like a blur to me, there's really no moments or anything of him that I really remember. 

3 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

Yes, Virginia, there is a game today. This game exists as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist. Alas! How dreary would be this day if there were no game! It would be as dreary as if there were no Virginias. There would be no childlike faith then, no poetry, no romance to make tolerable the annihiating meaninglessness of this Hades in which we abide, that covers all its inmates with its gloomy vapors, and casts shadows upon even the holiest of eyes.  Yes Virginia, there is a game, a game which we are certain to lose, a loss that will make our journey through this interminable darkness yet more painful still. 

That's just beautiful.  If you ain't a bit teary eyed after reading this, you ain't go a soul. 

Just now, RandyMarsh said:

Sheffield was actually the year before and if memory serves me right he struggled for a few months to start the year.  Honestly though Sheffield's Tigers career is like a blur to me, there's really no moments or anything of him that I really remember. 

Me either. 

It was probably a mistake for Miguel to lose weight during the season. He is trying to use a very cut down style and he just looks like he isn't strong enough to command it right now. He is swinging without his body and has no bat quickness. If he is trying to get back into the body he had as a younger man to save his back and ankle, he needs to look back at the load he used when he had that body, which was probably bigger than what he could get away with in recent seasons at >250lb. Or else his back is just still too stiff for him to be playing and they should give him the time off needed for it to heal. What's going on now is not helping the team.

2 dingers for Victor. Who'da thunk it?  Now if Cabrera could only straighten himself out.

and Mahtook continues to hit