RatkoVarda

JD Traded to Arizona

7 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Eaton was 6.2 WAR in the season before his trade. JD was 1.8 last year and only 1.7 so far this season. We loved JD, We have also probably overvalued him.

war is a **** stat.

eaton is also a clubhouse **** who everyone hates and gets on their nerves.

1 minute ago, tiger337 said:

but they were right about the other 100 guys that didn't develop power.   And yes, the guys that are good are always one in a hundred, that is why they shouldn't be used as examples.  

by the law of averages all MLB propects are failures.

5 minutes ago, Buddha said:

war is a **** stat.

No argument about the problems of WAR, but a 3 to 1 margin covers a lot of weakness in the details of the stat. And it really doesn't matter anyway. Those are the numbers that set the perception.

Ask the Red Sox how much they care that Sale is nutcase in the clubhouse.

My biggest issue as of now with the trade is the timing of it.  I can't say whether any of these prospects are going to pan out so I don't think its fair to call it a crap trade just yet but at the same time I have a hard time believing that they could not have gotten any of these guys or comparable guys a week from now.  

I mean was Avila that concerned about possibly losing Lugo to another team or the dbacks deciding not to buy that he had to pull the trigger right now?  It seems like he could have waited atleast a week to not only see where our team is sitting and whether we even want to sell or see where other teams are sitting.   I could understand if it was a blow away offer and you didn't want to miss it but this just doesn't seem like such an offer. 

26 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

by the law of averages all MLB propects are failures.

which is why I don't usually like these kinds of trades!

28 minutes ago, Buddha said:

war is a **** stat.

Eaton is under contract through 2019 with two option years.

His trade value far exceeded JDs, not even in he same stratosphere really.

Just woke up to the trade news (I work nights). Seems that the national media pretty much across the board thinks the return the Tigers received was minimal. 

36 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Eaton was 6.2 WAR in the season before his trade. JD was 1.8 last year and only 1.7 so far this season. We loved JD, We have also probably overvalued him.

His low WARs are due to his injuries.  When healthy, he is an outstanding hitter which is why we love him.  His value depends on whether you think he is fragile or whether you think the injuries were flukes.  

1 minute ago, tiger337 said:

which is why I don't usually like these kinds of trades!

Morosi just on - thinks they are moving Avila, Wilson, JV. Keating wondering if JV is worried where he is making his next start. Which actually is pretty silly because JV doesn't have to worry about making a start for anyone he doesn't want to. The media guys seem to be losing a little perspective I think, And to be honest, I'm not sure that as disappointing as McCann has been and given the dearth of catching depth in the system if they really are in much of a hurry to move Alex - though I guess they can always sign him back next year

39 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

My biggest issue as of now with the trade is the timing of it.  I can't say whether any of these prospects are going to pan out

It's just unavoidable. No one gives away young established talent - despite the silly calls to trade Fulmer - if you have to roll over your roster and have to get younger you have to risk your success on your ability to evaluate unproven talent - because that is all you are going to get for guys that are either long in the tooth or close to free agency. I don't know if Avila is any good at this or not but none of us are going to know for a couple of years at least.

What a piece of sh@# trade.  Why is Al Avila being allowed to "re-build" this team?  This is a playoff team if only the bullpen was shored up.  They had one horrific 9 game losing streak, otherwise they'd be right in contention.  And, all this with Cabrera having an awful (for him) year, and Victor as well, and missing JD for 33 games.  What a joke...3 prospects, none of whom will likely pan out and if they do it'd be 2-5 years down the road.   JD only requires a salary bump of about $10+ million next year...it would not break the books, especially with Anibel and Victor coming off the books in the next 1-2 years.  So disgusted by this garbage trade.  Fans are always clamoring for players who can produce like JD and we get him and then toss him out for a side salad.  I miss the old man, Mr I...I don't think this would've ever happened if he was alive and healthy in his earlier days. 

10 hours ago, mickeyb105 said:

I can't see Nick playing a good 1B, and I think Avila should move him before they have to pay him his next contract.

Well, hold on now.  I simmed my OOTP through 2024 and Castellanos has over 300 HRs, and hit for the triple crown in 2024.

Farm system still sucks.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Buddha said:

the LIONS are the best run franchise in this town right now.  THE FREAKING LIONS!

the apocalypse is upon us.  dogs and cats, living together...

I thought there was a soccer team in Detroit?  I figured it'd be that team.

Hey, Dakich to OSU.  That's kid of fun stuff, too.

The fact that the career .774 OPS guy is 3x more valuable than JD Martinez probably shows that WAR should not be used in a vacuum

Also, JD is a lot less injured than Adam Eaton!

• Like 2

This trade reminds me of the home buyer who immediately pays full price for a house because the seller told him "there is someone else interested in the home."

I get that this may have been the market price for a three month rental, but you could probably get something equivalent next weekend and keep the lure in the water in case someone gets a little desperate.

• Like 2

J.D. Is a solid player. Singing guys like Upton to long  monster contracts and not players like J.D. Is how you get a last place team. 

21 minutes ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

J.D. Is a solid player. Singing guys like Upton to long  monster contracts and not players like J.D. Is how you get a last place team. 

The upton contract isn't hurting the team. 

11 hours ago, pyrotigers said:

I would literally rather get to enjoy watching JD Martinez have 200 more at bats for the team than have this pile of crap on the roster next year. This is why rebuilding is not fun unless you have a brilliant GM

I kind of like Lugo to be honest and I'm interested in what king might do down the road but I'm still in agreement with this opinion.

26 minutes ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

J.D. Is a solid player. Singing guys like Zimmerman to long monster contracts and not players like J.D. Is how you get a last place team. 

FTFY

Avila probably wanted to move JD before there was any chance for this winning streak to change peoples' minds and get them thinking we needed to keep him for a playoff run.

If any of these guys pan out down the road I don't think we will have to go back and find this thread to see what everyone's opinion of the trade was, I think we will all remember that it was unanimously panned. 

1 minute ago, RandyMarsh said:

If any of these guys pan out down the road I don't think we will have to go back and find this thread to see what everyone's opinion of the trade was, I think we will all remember that it was unanimously panned. 

It's certainly possible someone will pan out. Just like it's possible they could have traded him for amazing prospects and they all would have busted. In the end we're all just spitballing, but the issue is that Avila probably is too. These types of trades are risky no matter the return, throw in that it's universally considered a weak return and meh

2 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Does anyone like this trade?

It's a two prong deal for me.

I am trying to rationalize the return for a rental.  Its a darn good rental.  I just don't know what the market should be for it.

I am trying to understand the prospects coming over.  I like that the prospects themselves are position players.  I like that the early word is that they have defense that will play in the majors.  I like that Lugo seems to be progressing a bit as he is climbing through the minor league levels.

If the Tigers have identified talent that the media might be undervaluing in terms or prospect rankings, I am fine with that.  The offense statistics from the trio seem a bit lackluster.  But again, it somewhat goes back to what the return should be.

Can the Tigers develop these guys into useful parts?

It all comes back to identifying, acquiring, and developing.