RatkoVarda

JD Traded to Arizona

11 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

If the Tigers have such a bad system, how does Lugo go from #4 in the Arizona system to #11 in ours?

Lugo is higher than #11; closer to top 5.

3 minutes ago, Scottwood said:

They probably view King like Willy Adames from a few years ago or something.

It does seem like a really underwhelming return though.

If Al is right on Lugo, it's fine. He said he's good defensively at 3B and more power is coming. That's a pretty good player, obviously. minorleagueball says scouts differ on Lugo, so I think this will be a good barometer of Avila's evaluation prowess.

Obviously saw something he liked in King too.

I'm just going to pretend that JD's back tightness kept him out of the lineup the rest of this season.

An injury is easier for me to handle than a fire sale.

white sox gm just pantsed avila.  again.

what the ****?  seriously?  todd frazier and robertson pull in better prospects than jd martinez?  justin wilson better get some serious players or avila should be fired.

1 hour ago, IdahoBert said:

“We did our research and our homework quite well,” he said. “If you see what’s reported, you might think there were 29 clubs out there knocking the door down — it wasn’t like that. The options were somewhat limited. You have to go with the teams that you feel really want to deal and are willing to put forth the effort to get him.

“We like this package. To risk going to the last couple of days before the deadline to see if something better develops for us wasn’t that important because the deal we got is a good deal.”

avila quoted in detnews

this sounds like an excuse.  hey, i tried and this was the best i could do its not my fault.

4 minutes ago, Buddha said:

white sox gm just pantsed avila.  again.

what the ****?  seriously?  todd frazier and robertson pull in better prospects than jd martinez?  justin wilson better get some serious players or avila should be fired.

Isnt Tommy Kahnle also going to the Yankees ? He looked like like a closer in the making earlier this year,

47 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

How many HR did Alan Trammell or Lou Whitaker hit before their 21st birthday? Focus on HR in young IF is misplaced. Assuming the glove is there I;\'m much more interested in K and BB rates.

It's a different era.  Back in those days, you could make it on strong defense and slap hitting.  Unfortunately, it is hard to get anywhere without power today.  

if the excuse for this trade is that "welp, the rental market isnt great this is all we could get," then its an example of avila failing to read the market correctly and not trading jd over the offseason.

its management failure.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

It's a different era.  Back in those days, you could make it on strong defense and slap hitting.  Unfortunately, it is hard to get anywhere without power today.  

that's not my point. They are both examples of guys that did get stronger and hit for more than adequate power though their careers for any era. You don't know how much stronger a lithe young IF might get. It's not knowable when he is that age but you throw away too many potential good players if you look for power in IFs at that that age - they generally are not big enough guys to show power that young, unless you have a 6' 4" guy still playing short like ARod or Cabrera - but like Cabrera those guys are mostly fated to play somewhere else anyway, and for that matter they are are no less outliers being at MIF at that size than an Altuve is for hitting HRs at his.

the LIONS are the best run franchise in this town right now.  THE FREAKING LIONS!

the apocalypse is upon us.  dogs and cats, living together...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Buddha said:

if the excuse for this trade is that "welp, the rental market isnt great this is all we could get," then its an example of avila failing to read the market correctly and not trading jd over the offseason.

its management failure.

He did this with a few players last offseason.  That, or they were never interested in dealing them in the first place.  Either way, Avila is a buffoon.

the centerpiece of this amazing trade was once dealt straight up for cliff pennington.

2 minutes ago, Buddha said:

the LIONS are the best run franchise in this town right now.  THE FREAKING LIONS!

the apocalypse is upon us.  dogs and cats, living together...

And one of their guys just got suspended for the third time in a year. 

It's gonna be a fun couple of years for us that like the various drafts. 

6 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

that's not my point. They are both examples of guys that did get stronger and hit for more than adequate power though their careers for any era. You don't know how much stronger a lithe young IF might get. It's not knowable when he is that age but you throw away too many potential good players if you look for power in IFs at that that age - they generally are not big enough guys to show power that young, unless you have a 6' 4" guy still playing short like ARod or Cabrera - but like Cabrera those guys are mostly fated to play somewhere else anyway, and for that matter they are are no less outliers being at MIF at that size than an Altuve is for hitting HRs at his.

You never know for sure, but I think they can tell which players are not likely to ever hit for power.  For every Whitaker and Altuve, there are a 100 Ramon Santiagos.  

2 minutes ago, Buddha said:

the centerpiece of this amazing trade was once dealt straight up for cliff pennington.

they gave up that for a guy that was a minor league free agent?!!

6 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

You never know for sure, but I think they can tell which players are not likely to ever hit for power.

There are certainly a lot more misses than hits. but frankly I don't agree they are very good at knowing who is going to do what. I can't say I ever remember anyone ever predicting when they came up that Trammell or Whitaker would ever be 20+ HR guys or that Altuve could even break into the majors. The guys who are good are always one in a hundred. I just don't think an 18 yr old that K's 100 times to hit 7 HR is any better bet than one with 1 HR but 50 Ks in 400AB. At that age I'd much rather see the contact and strike zone skills in <180 lb guys - but I've long thought that the Tigers spent too much time chasing power in young guys instead of bat skills.

the white sox got giolito for adam freaking eaton.  we got **** for jd martinez.

white sox have 10 of the top 70 prospects by trading parts from a team that finished with like 70 wins the last two seasons.  we sat and did nothing this offseason and now get **** for our best player.

10 minutes ago, Buddha said:

the white sox got giolito for adam freaking eaton.  we got **** for jd martinez.

Eaton was 6.2 WAR in the season before his trade. JD was 1.8 last year and only 1.7 so far this season. We loved JD, We have also probably overvalued him.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

There are certainly a lot more misses than hits. but frankly I don't agree they are very good at knowing who is going to do what. I can't say I ever remember anyone ever predicting when they came up that Trammell or Whitaker would ever be 20+ HR guys or that Altuve could even break into the majors. The guys who are good are always one in a hundred. I just don't think an 18 yr old that K's 100 times to hit 7 HR is any better bet than one with 1 HR but 50 Ks in 400AB. At that age I'd much rather see the contact and strike zone skills in <180 lb guys - but I've long thought that the Tigers spent too much time chasing power in young guys instead of bat skills.

but they were right about the other 100 guys that didn't develop power.   And yes, the guys that are good are always one in a hundred, that is why they shouldn't be used as examples.