RatkoVarda

JD Traded to Arizona

1 minute ago, pyrotigers said:

"We're really disappointed in Jose Iglesias and Dixon Machado's development"

"What if, get this, we had 3 more of them?"

Chances are none of them will be as valuable as Iglesias.  I am hoping one of them is.  

1 minute ago, tiger337 said:

I pretty much agree.  They sound like future utility infielders. Hopefully, one of them hits well enough to be a starter.    

Lugo isn't a slap hitter. He had 17 hrs last season and probably has more power potential in the tank.

Just now, Who is the Drizzle? said:

Lugo isn't a slap hitter. He had 17 hrs last season and probably has more power potential in the tank.

I will admit he is the only one of the three who looks interesting (hard to judge King given that he's 12 or whatever) but it's still hard to get fired up about a guy who has a .750 OPS in AA being the center piece of the 1.000 OPS in MLB guy trade

It was reported on the Tigers pregame show that JD was hitting .500 against lefties up to a few days ago. If that is correct...wow!

Dan and Jim are parroting the company line on this trade. 

2 minutes ago, 1776 said:

It was reported on the Tigers pregame show that JD was hitting .500 against lefties up to a few days ago. If that is correct...wow!

It would have been nice if the Tigers were left handed enough that anyone ever wanted to pitch a lefty against us.

1 minute ago, pyrotigers said:

I will admit he is the only one of the three who looks interesting (hard to judge King given that he's 12 or whatever) but it's still hard to get fired up about a guy who has a .750 OPS in AA being the center piece of the 1.000 OPS in MLB guy trade

I'm not fired up about it either, fwiw. Alcantara seems like a why bother type due to zero power, and King is only 18. Seems like a good 18 y/o, but still.

But I would trade JD for this rather than keep him for 200 ABs that only help us win a game or two. I guess the market for more wasn't there.

2 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Dan and Jim are parroting the company line on this trade. 

They are company men who have no interest in rocking the boat. 

7 minutes ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

yeah, he does have some power potential although most of his 17 homers were in the California League with is like the PCL for offense.  

1 minute ago, tiger337 said:

yeah, he does have some power potential although most of his 17 homers were in the California League with is like the PCL for offense.  

Hey, more power than Verdugo :cheeky:

He is young for double-A, and Al feels he has more power in him. If he does fill out a bit, he makes enough contact for it to play.

13 minutes ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

I'm not fired up about it either, fwiw. Alcantara seems like a why bother type due to zero power, and King is only 18. Seems like a good 18 y/o, but still.

But I would trade JD for this rather than keep him for 200 ABs that only help us win a game or two. I guess the market for more wasn't there.

Alcantara is a terrific defender, and while he doesn't have power, he does have good hitting skills. 

1 minute ago, Longgone said:

Alcantara is a terrific defender, and while he doesn't have power, he does have good hitting skills. 

But still, what player approaches being an average MLB player if he can't hit more than 5 hrs a year? He's going to have to be Iggy with the glove to get close.

18 minutes ago, Euphdude said:

They are company men who have no interest in rocking the boat. 

It's all relative. Mario and Rod are true company men. Dan and Jim tell the truth and bemoan poor play and everything that The TV guys don't. I think they are giving Avila the benefit of the doubt on this one because they're making the best of a bad situation.  I don't think that makes them the lapdogs that Rod and Mario are 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

But still, what player approaches being an average MLB player if he can't hit more than 5 hrs a year? He's going to have to be Iggy with the glove to get close.

How many HR did Alan Trammell or Lou Whitaker hit before their 21st birthday? Focus on HR in young IF is misplaced. Assuming the glove is there I;\'m much more interested in K and BB rates.

2 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

How many HR did Alan Trammell or Lou Whitaker hit before their 21st birthday? Focus on HR in young IF is misplaced.

Looks like each of them hit exactly 5 up until the year they turned 21. Why would you expect either of them to stray far from what the other had done....

Just now, Gehringer_2 said:

How many HR did Alan Trammell or Lou Whitaker hit before their 21st birthday? Focus on HR in young IF is misplaced.

He's only 5-9 tho. Altuve and Pedroia are exceptions to the rule.

11 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

It's all relative. Mario and Rod are true company men. Dan and Jim tell the truth and bemoan poor play and everything that The TV guys don't. I think they are giving Avila the benefit of the doubt on this one because they're making the best of a bad situation.  I don't think that makes them the lapdogs that Rod and Mario are 

I agree, and my comment wasn't meant as slight. Dan and Jim have two of the best jobs you can have - I don't blame them for staying relatively straight and narrow on the company line. 

6 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

If the Tigers have such a bad system, how does Lugo go from #4 in the Arizona system to #11 in ours?

Arizona's is that much worse

They probably view King like Willy Adames from a few years ago or something.

It does seem like a really underwhelming return though.

Just now, Scottwood said:

They probably view King like Willy Adames from a few years ago or something.

It does seem like a really underwhelming return though.

That's what I was thinking as well.