RatkoVarda

JD Traded to Arizona

Seems like we could have gotten more if we had traded him within the AL. The point about injury history is well made, and we all know JD, while having a strong arm, is not what you would call an all star outfielder defensively. That is going to show itself much more quickly in the NL than the AL, where a team like the NYY or BOS could hide him at DH for a few years when necessary. He'd rack tremendous offensive stats in those two tiny parks too. 

Having said all of this, every team in baseball knew we had to trade him, they knew it was a buyer's market and it would likely only get worse the closer it got to the deadline. I know zip about the prospects, but on the surface, it looks like a pretty bad return. I too share the concern for allowing Avila to be the one to blow this up and put it back together. He hasn't been all that successful in his decisions so far. Too many missteps and this franchise goes off the rails for many, many years. 

23 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

Where does Christian Stewart play eventually?  Who tells Miggy he's moving to DH because of Castellanos?

I see it more as Castellanos moves to first because Miggy moved to DH out of necessity

I don't care if it's his back or his family stuff (although I care about their well being), after this season you tell Miggy he's doing whatever we need. He's lost leverage.

4 minutes ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

Not sure how reliable this dude is.

Hookslide seems to like Avila as a talent evaluator. 

2 minutes ago, thefunk said:

I don't care if it's his back or his family stuff (although I care about their well being), after this season you tell Miggy he's doing whatever we need. He's lost leverage.

When hasn't Miguel done what the team asked?

3 minutes ago, thefunk said:

He definitely hasn't.

8 minutes ago, ROMAD1 said:

Hookslide seems to like Avila as a talent evaluator. 

Hard to say without knowing exactly how he was involved under DD. Generally I think he's a good evaluator of youngish talent, but he didn't seem that involved with drafts under DD and we never spent a lot of money internationally.

6 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

According to the Tigers website they made this trade FOUR times.   FOUR freaking times!    

Did they win any of the trades?

18 minutes ago, Buddha said:

after what we got for jd, i dont think i want avila in charge of trading wilson...

RELAX MAN....RELAX...ITS ALL GOOD!

I've seen multiple interviews with MLB insiders saying that GMs around baseball are saying the price for rental players has...."cratered".

1 hour ago, IdahoBert said:

Is this just a bad deal? Or did the Tigers just have to dump him no matter what, everybody knew it, and it was a perfect storm to benefit someone else? 

Yeah, but they had time. A similar deal would have always been available at the deadline. Why not wait to see if you can get more. I agree with the posted who said this is a panic move as a result of the back tightness.

3 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

I was outside washing my car when the news broke. Squirted all over the place in reaction. Not in a good way.

How did the poem reading go last night, or was that the night before? 🤓

11 minutes ago, TigerNation said:

He definitely hasn't.

Not unusual at all for even the best players to have a combination of up and down years after 30. The crepe hanging over Miguel is premature. The doesn't mean it isn't still awfully disappointing that he hasn't been an offensive centerpiece this season, but it is what it is with older players. I'm more interested in what he decides he wants his future to be based on what he does this off season.

23 minutes ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

Not sure how reliable this dude is.

Hey, in four or five years, we might see if he pays off!

3 minutes ago, 1776 said:

How did the poem reading go last night, or was that the night before? 🤓

I stood up and read from Yeats, in anticipation of Avila's rebuild:

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;"

• Like 1

It's clear to me that the Tigers need to fire Avila and hire Trump in order to renegotiate this trade agreement. 

• Like 2