RatkoVarda

JD Traded to Arizona

This is what happens when you ignore the obvious warning signs and wait two years to start the sell off.  Clown show.

• Like 2

They did not retain any salary...im sure if the tigers paid down half of his deal they could have bought a better prospect

Is this just a bad deal? Or did the Tigers just have to dump him no matter what, everybody knew it, and it was a perfect storm to benefit someone else? 

15 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

I would rather have 2.5 months of JD + the comp pick in 2018 instead of that.

THat's really just a comp pick so that makes no sense

5 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

Is this just a bad deal? Or did the Tigers just have to dump him no matter what, everybody knew it, and it was a perfect storm to benefit someone else? 

I think it's a mistake to dump somebody no matter what two weeks before the deadline.  

This trade looks underwhelming. Dombrowski got ripped for his return on Fister but had he actually kept Ray, that would have been a good deal for the Tigers. I'm guessing they see something in these prospects that other don't. I am surprised though with three middle infielders. 

Are the Tigers thinking Lugo at 2nd perhaps to replace Kinsler (either in the future or now if Kinsler get moved)?

This appears to be highway robbery. I still think the team should have been blown up in 2014 at the latest. But , if a frog had wings it wouldn't land on its azz after evey time it jumps.

Maybe ownership has ordered Big AA to get the team ready for sale? I still dont understand this deal.

1 minute ago, RedRamage said:

Are the Tigers thinking Lugo at 2nd perhaps to replace Kinsler (either in the future or now if Kinsler get moved)?

No doubt. I mean the team needed middle IF depth

Just now, HeyAbbott said:

This appears to be highway robbery. I still think the team should have been blown up in 2014 at the latest. But , if a frog had wings it wouldn't land on its azz after wvey time it jumps.

Maybe ownership has ordered Big AA to get the team ready for sale? I still dont understand this deal.

They won the division in 2014 and made it to the ALCS in 2013. Why would they blow up the team in 2014? Nobody knew in 2014 whether JD was a fluke or not. Perhaps they hold off on signing Victor Martinez to an extension. 

Just now, Nastradamus said:

No doubt. I mean the team needed middle IF depth

Unless maybe Nicholas gets moved to OF or 1B or something and Lugo is slated as 3B of the future?

I don't really get it... I mean IF there's a bigger plan here that Kinsler gets move and Lugo moves there (assuming Machado isn't seen a long term answer) or perhaps Cabrera gets moved and Lugo goes to 3rd... or maybe Iggy gets traded?!?

This makes more sense IF more deals are coming... but... I have zero faith right now that more deals are coming that will make this make more sense.

• Like 1

His underlying frailty is something the Tigers just didn't feel they could commit to long-term.  He only played 120 games last year and he will play barely more than that this year and he will be 30 years old next year.  This situation won't get better; it will in fact get worse. Everybody knows this and that's why they got so little. Heck he even had to be pulled out of the lineup the day before he was traded! 

8 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

he sounds more like a 3B to me.

2 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

AA said Lugo will be a 3B and is 2 years away. So think a Nicholas replacement down the road. Seems like his defense is above average there.

I'm not sure what to say about his hitting. He's young for AA and hasn't been overwhelmed at all. The hope is that either his power grows as he fills out or his ability to take walks grows with more experience.

You look at his stats and age and defense and it seems like he should be a top 100-150 prospect, but I don't have any paid info so I don't know.

I would also assume this is the official white flag on the season. 

7 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

His underlying frailty is something the Tigers just didn't feel they could commit to long-term.  He only played 120 games last year and he will play barely more than that this year and he will be 30 years old next year.  Everybody knows this and that's why they got so little. Heck he even had to be pulled out of the lineup the day before he was traded! 

The injury history is actually good point. He was also hurt both seasons in Texas, which may have been part of why they didn't have that much patience with his development. And the comp to Cespedes is a stretch. The bloom may be off the rose a little, but when we moved Yoenis he was everyone's idea of a real 5 tool player.

• Like 2

I would guess Lugo slots in close to or above Christin Stewart in the Tigers rankings. Both at AA, Stewart the better hitter, Lugo the far better defender at a tougher position.

Alcantara seems like a Machado type. Maybe a bit stronger, but not going to hit many home runs ever.

Jose King was a BA top 20 prospect in the DSL league. Little data but not a total throw-in.

Unless Lugo magically learns a changeup err hits with power, none are superstar types.

It seems like Nicholas should be trade bait going forward, as it seems like the scouting report posted earlier in the thread seemed to really like Lugo at 3B.

JD has been a consistent offensive force since coming here, as well as the best interview on the team--I'll miss him more than any Tiger in a few decades.

Keep on trading, I guess, until you get a few more top 100 guys in the system?

MartinezJD seemed awfully bummed, I think.  Kept his Detroit stuff on for the interview.  Appreciative of the organization and the fans.  Acknowledged the opportunity that the Tigers gave him with the original minor league deal.  Understanding of the situation that the Tigers are in.  Wouldn't rule out a return, but I kind of doubt that the Tigers will be buying.

I don't know anything about these prospects.  But I do know that I'd feel a heck of a lot better if Dave Stewart was still in charge of Arizona.

• Like 3