RatkoVarda

JD Traded to Arizona

28 minutes ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

Was Brennan Boesch's hot streak better than Shelton's?

I do not think so, but it was close.  I was all on the Boesch train back then.  I thought for sure we had the next guy.

7 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

I do not think so, but it was close.  I was all on the Boesch train back then.  I thought for sure we had the next guy.

Me too. His swing looked so quick, until it didn't.

1 hour ago, Yoda said:

Not to be overlooked, it was really fun to watch what your namesake Shelton did for half a season plus 2 weeks. 

Indeed. I remember going to a game at wrigley that summer after he had cooled down. The Tigers hit like 37 home runs in the game, and Shelton had one. It was almost as if it didn't count. Then we were forced to add Casey just to stop the bleeding. 

8 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Post streak Shelton > Sean Casey

I only said "stop the bleeding." Shelton had become a gushing artery. Casey showed up without any major wounds, so at least it cut down on cleaning costs.

Between his minor-league numbers and his production for a little over a half season, I was convinced that we had found the poster boy for the Moneyball "it doesn't matter how he looks in blue jeans" in Chris Shelton. I actually thought that he was going to finish 2006 hitting. 300 with 30 home runs and it was only going to be the start of 10 pretty good years before he would age quickly and be remembered as one of the better Rule 5 guys ever. 

And yes, post streak Chris Shelton was still better than Sean Casey. 

I remember hearing that Boesch really felt he benefitted from training with fellow West Coast Baseball School alum Ryan Braun during the off-season.  It seems like Boesch was never the same (at the plate or in the field) after Braun tested positive for PEDs in Dec of 2011.

There very well may not be a correlation between the two, but Boesch sure was bad after 2011.

1 minute ago, mickeyb105 said:

I remember hearing that Boesch really felt he benefitted from training with fellow West Coast Baseball School alum Ryan Braun during the off-season.  It seems like Boesch was never the same (at the plate or in the field) after Braun tested positive for PEDs in Dec of 2011.

There very well may not be a correlation between the two, but Boesch sure was bad after 2011.

Just for fun, I'd like to imagine that Brennan Boesch has a really dry sense of humor. 

10 minutes ago, Walewander said:

Between his minor-league numbers and his production for a little over a half season, I was convinced that we had found the poster boy for the Moneyball "it doesn't matter how he looks in blue jeans" in Chris Shelton. I actually thought that he was going to finish 2006 hitting. 300 with 30 home runs and it was only going to be the start of 10 pretty good years before he would age quickly and be remembered as one of the better Rule 5 guys ever. 

Depends on where you draw the line for post streak shelton, and whether or not continuing to play him would have been better than Casey. 

Casey did not perform well for the tigers that year. But I suspect that he was better than what shelton would have given us. 

1 minute ago, Walewander said:

Just for fun, I'd like to imagine that Brennan Boesch has a really dry sense of humor. 

He may very well, as he comes from  prominent family--his father and grandfather are/were somebodies.

1 hour ago, Walewander said:

Shelton's was a weird case. Yes, he cratered after that hot April. Of course he had been great in 460 PAs the year before, posting an 870 OPS. When he got sent down in July he finished the year with a .812 OPS and in 2007 at AAA put up an .800 OPS with 14 HRs (while Casey hit all of 4 HRS). Then at 28,  Shelton gets traded to Texas and rakes at AAA OKC (yes PCL inflated) with a .970 OPS. Texas gives him 100 PAs and he flops (.660 OPS). At 29 he becomes a free agent, signs with Seattle and rakes at AAA Tacoma, posting a .905 OPS. Seattle gives him a meaningless 26 PA that season. He retires after 2010 never sniffing the majors again. My point is that after that April swoon in 2006 he was never given a real chance again, despite continuing to hit at the AAA level. He seems like a guy who should have been given 400-500 PAs on a non playoff contender sometime between 2007-2010. He seems like the kind of cheap sign the Tigers should be looking for in 2018 (perhaps at DH/1B). 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, SeattleMike said:

Shelton's was a weird case. Yes, he cratered after that hot April. Of course he had been great in 460 PAs the year before, posting an 870 OPS. When he got sent down in July he finished the year with a .812 OPS and in 2007 at AAA put up an .800 OPS with 14 HRs (while Casey hit all of 4 HRS). Then at 28,  Shelton gets traded to Texas and rakes at AAA OKC (yes PCL inflated) with a .970 OPS. Texas gives him 100 PAs and he flops (.660 OPS). At 29 he becomes a free agent, signs with Seattle and rakes at AAA Tacoma, posting a .905 OPS. Seattle gives him a meaningless 26 PA that season. He retires after 2010 never sniffing the majors again. My point is that after that April swoon in 2006 he was never given a real chance again, despite continuing to hit at the AAA level. He seems like a guy who should have been given 400-500 PAs on a non playoff contender sometime between 2007-2010. He seems like the kind of cheap sign the Tigers should be looking for in 2018 (perhaps at DH/1B). 

Great take.