RatkoVarda

JD Traded to Arizona

J.D. Martinez is out of the lineup. He said his hand still hurt, was still sore.

2 hours ago, rhino said:

Interesting interview with JP Morosi on the ticket this morning. Of course he was talking about the trade. Basically he said, we can't really judge this trade in regard to if Avila should have waited it out or if he could have gotten more for JD unti lafter the deadline on August 1st. If when everything is said and done and there were additional trades made for lesser players that yielded more, then to criticize this trade might be fair, but as it stands now, unfortunately, when AA says the market just wasn't there for JD that was probably the case.

But again, not trading JD was an option as well.  We don't really need to evaluate other deadline trades in order to come to the conclusion that we were better off standing pat. 

On 7/19/2017 at 8:57 AM, Shelton said:

After sleeping on it I would say that I like it more than I don't like it. 

But I tend to take a pretty deferential approach to trades that deal veterans for prospects. To me, there is too much of an information gap to criticize it. 

This

7 hours ago, djhutch said:

After mulling it over for a while I'm of the opinion we did not get what JD is worth, however we got market value when you consider he is a 3-month rental, & MLB GMs knew the Tigers needed to not let him walk for nothing.  That impedes your negotiating position. I would not be surprised to see someone like Wilson get a similar haul, in spite of the fact JD is far more valuable as a player.

I agree.  He has 2 elite tools, but doesn't give you much else beyond that.  Edwin Encarnacion, assisted by the world's stupidest agent, found out about that market last winter - there basically isn't one.  JD's got the additional problem of seeming to have difficulty staying healthy.  You aren't going to get much value in return for someone like that as a half-season rental.  Lucky to get much at all, really. 

This trade just depressed me so much I really don't know what else to say that hasn't already been said by others. F It.  It's almost football  season. 

7 hours ago, ud363 said:

2 of the 4 with nobody on. Selfish.

....and Robbie Ray was the winning pitcher; 7.2 IP, 3H, 0R, 14K, 0BB.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, davidsb said:

....and Robbie Ray was the winning pitcher; 7.2 IP, 3H, 0R, 14K, 0BB.

And at the time of the trade, Ray wasn't even a top 100 prospect.

At least that's what I've gathered reading some old articles about that deal.

Houston gave up on Martinez.

We gave up on Ray.

Hindsight is a heck of a thing.

4 hours ago, Turnbuckle said:

And at the time of the trade, Ray wasn't even a top 100 prospect.

At least that's what I've gathered reading some old articles about that deal.

Houston gave up on Martinez.

We gave up on Ray.

Hindsight is a heck of a thing.

The difference of course is that we did trade Ray for a good return in Greene (even if Greene ultimately couldn't stick as a starting pitcher due to his injuries). 

I don't think there were many in baseball that thought Ray would become as good as he has turned out to be. If that were the case, you would have done a lot better in a trade for him. 

I bet the Yankees are happy with gregorius. But I wonder whether they would prefer to have Ray and leyba right now. I would think so. 

This type of stuff happens to every team. How many teams would have liked to trade for fister in 2012?

30 minutes ago, Shelton said:

The difference of course is that we did trade Ray for a good return in Greene (even if Greene ultimately couldn't stick as a starting pitcher due to his injuries). 

I don't think there were many in baseball that thought Ray would become as good as he has turned out to be. If that were the case, you would have done a lot better in a trade for him. 

I bet the Yankees are happy with gregorius. But I wonder whether they would prefer to have Ray and leyba right now. I would think so. 

This type of stuff happens to every team. How many teams would have liked to trade for fister in 2012?

Yes, Gregorious has been solid for them, but Ray + Lebya is seems to me, a far more valuable package, and one the Yankees would love to have. Gregorious has been worth 2.9 WAR this year. Iglesias, who could be had for a little more than a bag of peanuts has been worth 2.2, so they could have found a replacement pretty easily. And of course, they have Gleybor coming next year.

11 minutes ago, socaltiger said:

So can we call this the bottom  and its all uphill from here ?

Not quite at the bottom yet, but pretty close. Once Kinsler is gone, then we probably hit bottom. But there are enough young guys in place that I expect us to be on an upward swing by the middle of next season. 

11 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Not quite at the bottom yet, but pretty close. Once Kinsler is gone, then we probably hit bottom. But there are enough young guys in place that I expect us to be on an upward swing by the middle of next season. 

I think that there is a better chance that we end up with the worst record/first pick for next year's play than seeing any kind of upswing. And if it comes, it's probably more about Miggy, Castellanos, Boyd/Norris/Zimm improvement than help from the farm... Though seeing Jimenez, Jeimer and Gerber contributions would be nice. 

6 minutes ago, irvink said:

I think that there is a better chance that we end up with the worst record/first pick for next year's play than seeing any kind of upswing. And if it comes, it's probably more about Miggy, Castellanos, Boyd/Norris/Zimm improvement than help from the farm... Though seeing Jimenez, Jeimer and Gerber contributions would be nice. 

I meant to compare the state of the team today vs the state of the team during next season. I think by midseason next year a guy like Jeimer and some of the pitchers like Boyd and Norris will be playing better than they are now or at the beginning of next season. 

But the record next year will be bad. I think the second half record next year will be better than the first half. 

14 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I meant to compare the state of the team today vs the state of the team during next season. I think by midseason next year a guy like Jeimer and some of the pitchers like Boyd and Norris will be playing better than they are now or at the beginning of next season. 

But the record next year will be bad. I think the second half record next year will be better than the first half. 

It'd be great to see some LB rebounds and the emergence of some of our young players at all levels.

Excited to see Faedo pitch for first time at pro-level, guessing he starts in Lakeland.

Manning will probably start at WM - he did not get much time there and is still raw - but hopefully, he gets bumped to Lakeland at some point.

Burrows probably goes to Erie with Perez. 

Stewart at Toledeo. Gerber should get a chance in Detroit, either to start the season or soon after, depending on what moves they make.

Gerber, Stewart and Funkhouser are the guys we could see by late summer. 

9 hours ago, irvink said:

It'd be great to see some LB rebounds and the emergence of some of our young players at all levels.

Excited to see Faedo pitch for first time at pro-level, guessing he starts in Lakeland.

Manning will probably start at WM - he did not get much time there and is still raw - but hopefully, he gets bumped to Lakeland at some point.

Burrows probably goes to Erie with Perez. 

Stewart at Toledeo. Gerber should get a chance in Detroit, either to start the season or soon after, depending on what moves they make.

Gerber, Stewart and Funkhouser are the guys we could see by late summer. 

Doubt we see Funkhouser next year, his injury set him back. He's gonna start in Lakeland, probably too much to climb from Lakeland to the majors.

On 9/5/2017 at 11:32 PM, TigerNation said:

Doubt we see Funkhouser next year, his injury set him back. He's gonna start in Lakeland, probably too much to climb from Lakeland to the majors.

I don't know how much funk's injury set him back.  He was pitching very well in Lakeland after his promotion. The lack of innings this year hurts of course.

I think he starts in Lakeland again, but could be promoted to AA quickly if he picks up where he left off. And once you hit AA and perform, the majors are not far away. but there is also no rush. 

I think he probably reaches Toledo, but they bother calling him up. He could be in play for a rotation spot in spring 2019 depending on our other options. 

2019 rotation of Fulmer Norris Burrows Boyd seems possible. Maybe Zimmermann is in there. Maybe Perez. Maybe funkhouser. Even faedo if he moves quickly.