RatkoVarda

JD Traded to Arizona

382 posts in this topic

J.D. Martinez is out of the lineup. He said his hand still hurt, was still sore.

2 hours ago, rhino said:

Interesting interview with JP Morosi on the ticket this morning. Of course he was talking about the trade. Basically he said, we can't really judge this trade in regard to if Avila should have waited it out or if he could have gotten more for JD unti lafter the deadline on August 1st. If when everything is said and done and there were additional trades made for lesser players that yielded more, then to criticize this trade might be fair, but as it stands now, unfortunately, when AA says the market just wasn't there for JD that was probably the case.

But again, not trading JD was an option as well.  We don't really need to evaluate other deadline trades in order to come to the conclusion that we were better off standing pat. 

On 7/19/2017 at 8:57 AM, Shelton said:

After sleeping on it I would say that I like it more than I don't like it. 

But I tend to take a pretty deferential approach to trades that deal veterans for prospects. To me, there is too much of an information gap to criticize it. 

This

7 hours ago, djhutch said:

After mulling it over for a while I'm of the opinion we did not get what JD is worth, however we got market value when you consider he is a 3-month rental, & MLB GMs knew the Tigers needed to not let him walk for nothing.  That impedes your negotiating position. I would not be surprised to see someone like Wilson get a similar haul, in spite of the fact JD is far more valuable as a player.

I agree.  He has 2 elite tools, but doesn't give you much else beyond that.  Edwin Encarnacion, assisted by the world's stupidest agent, found out about that market last winter - there basically isn't one.  JD's got the additional problem of seeming to have difficulty staying healthy.  You aren't going to get much value in return for someone like that as a half-season rental.  Lucky to get much at all, really. 

This trade just depressed me so much I really don't know what else to say that hasn't already been said by others. F It.  It's almost football  season. 

1 hour ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

I guess you could say we won the trade.

Yay for 2023.