Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Brian

Fangraphs think Manning is an ace in the making.........

21 posts in this topic

There is a subtle story behind the headline of the article.  

16 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

There is a subtle story behind the headline of the article.  

What is that?

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

What is that?

Ace does not mean what it usually means.  Look at the name of the person quoted in the article.  

13 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Ace does not mean what it usually means.  Look at the name of the person quoted in the article.  

I did see that. But I was hoping the explanation was something else, because then it would be suggesting that manning is going to be a future pitching coach for a short season team. 

Manning,Fulmer,Burrows,Funkhouser,and Alexander don't look too shabby in '19

Faedo will be up before Manning 

A lot could change in 2018 with manning. I assume he will start the year in west Michigan, but he could move quickly. You never know. 

Didn't porcello only spend one year in the minors? Started his career in Lakeland and then was in MLB the next season. Manning won't do that, but still.  

verlander started his career in Lakeland and was in the majors that same season. Faedo won't do that either. 

Still, it's fun to think about the potential for any of these guys tontake big steps forward. 

I saw Manning pitch last week and I hope I got him on a bad day because he did not impress.  He was sitting at 90 MPH and never went above 92.  He had good control but was very hittable with few swings and misses.  It is possible that the gun was slow.    

13 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I saw Manning pitch last week and I hope I got him on a bad day because he did not impress.  He was sitting at 90 MPH and never went above 92.  He had good control but was very hittable with few swings and misses.  It is possible that the gun was slow.    

You should tell all the internet scouts what you saw. 

39 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I had read that Keith Law was down on him because he said this was his velocity. otoh I've read where scouts said his stuff was crazy good his first outing when he struck out everybody. So who knows, it's possible he's working on things, it's possible his fastball really is down.

His numbers and peripherals are all really good for a 19 y/o so I'm not worried either way.

36 minutes ago, Shelton said:

You should tell all the internet scouts what you saw. 

Didn't he just do that?

Maybe the Tigers instructed him to ease off the gas a bit and work on other things.  I mean what's the sense of pumping max effort 98mph fastballs by people that have no chance of touching them? 

1 minute ago, ballmich said:

Didn't he just do that?

Nah, they are all on Twitter and BYB these days. 

56 minutes ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

I had read that Keith Law was down on him because he said this was his velocity. otoh I've read where scouts said his stuff was crazy good his first outing when he struck out everybody. So who knows, it's possible he's working on things, it's possible his fastball really is down.

His numbers and peripherals are all really good for a 19 y/o so I'm not worried either way.

I am not worried either, just adding my low weight data point to the discussion.  There are different reasons why his velocity could be down as people said here.  

1 hour ago, ballmich said:

Didn't he just do that?

I was going to say the same thing

On 7/14/2017 at 5:20 PM, tiger337 said:

I assume you saw him in Connecticut? The Dodd Stadium gun is very slow. Always has been. You have to sit behind the plate and peek at the scouts' guns if you want to know how hard a guy is actually throwing. I was at Manning's start a few days ago. His fastball sat 92-94 and touched 96.

3 people like this

2 hours ago, sbcaptain2 said:

I assume you saw him in Connecticut? The Dodd Stadium gun is very slow. Always has been. You have to sit behind the plate and peek at the scouts' guns if you want to know how hard a guy is actually throwing. I was at Manning's start a few days ago. His fastball sat 92-94 and touched 96.

Yes I saw him it CT and Thanks!

On 7/14/2017 at 5:20 PM, tiger337 said:

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2017/07/16/nothing-wrong-tigers-matt-manning-despite-velocity-dip/103752874/

Looks like the gun was accurate.

He's healthy, throwing strikes, the results are good, nothing to worry about. When they held him back from a full season assignment I was little concerned, but he seems to be on track.