Sign in to follow this  
Sydney_Fife

Pistons sign Anthony Tolliver

a) Ellenson isn't going to be ready, and

b) Signing Tolliver doesn't make the team markedly better despite a).

By markedly better, I mean how many more games are they really going to win because Tolliver is on the roster?

13 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

By markedly better, I mean how many more games are they really going to win because Tolliver is on the roster?

Zero because of his play.

I do think he has some value as a locker room guy. But he shouldn't play at all.

15 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

how many more games would they win because of anyone they signed to be the 11th man?

5 hours ago, DaBishop said:

how many more games would they win because of anyone they signed to be the 11th man?

Why do you think Tolliver is going to be the 11th man?  

Because I don't think he's going to play over Stanley, Leuer, or Tobias and will only play over Ellenson if he's better than him. That makes him either the 11th man or at best the 0th man. I also believe that even if he is better Ellenson will still get about equal run that Tolliver gets. In terms of PT my guess is,

1-5) Reggie, Avery, Tobias, Stanley, Dre

6-9) Leuer, Ish, Galloway, Boban

10-14) Bullock, Kennard, Ellenson, Tolliver, Moreland,

So I guess I really think he's the13th man with the potential to move all the way up to 10 if his play warrants it.

The team was no where near as deep in 2015-16 and he was the 11th man there. Not sure why he'd be any higher on the totem pole 2 years later on a deeper team.

Do you think he moves ahead of any of the top 9 I listed in terms of mpg?

On 7/17/2017 at 6:14 PM, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Zero.  So why are you concerned if Ellenson can't play?

Because someone might get hurt in which case he will need to either be able to play or be replaced by known quantity. You don't back-up a project contingency plan with another project contingency plan if your goal is to win games. Having a guy like Tolliver who at his worst at least can spread the defense out by shooting from distance for $3.3M is a good idea in my opinion. He was actually much better then people are giving him credit for last year. He hit 39% from 3 last year and it's not like he was taking 1.8 shots per game from there. He was taking 3.5 in just 22mpg. Per 36, that's about as many as KCP was taking but at a higher clip.

I'd suggest this team is not nearly good enough to make decisions based in part on a concern over who the back-up is to the back-up contingency plan.

51 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I'd suggest this team is not nearly good enough to make decisions based in part on a concern over who the back-up is to the back-up contingency plan.

That moment when this all sinks in.

tenor.gif

2 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

what are you talking about? They need to fill a roster spot. What should they be making the decisions based on? Do you have a player or even a type of player you think they should be signing? I'm not understanding who this mythical player some of you keep talking about that they should have signed instead

The 11th man doesn't matter.  You might as well get a project who could potentially grow into something, no matter how remote the chance.

If they have to lean on Tolliver heavily because of injuries to, or ineffectiveness of, players in front of him, they are boned anyway.

again...like who? Some G-Leaguer? No thanks...no need for guys who don't belong in the league on our team

On 7/20/2017 at 3:42 PM, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

The 11th man doesn't matter.  You might as well get a project who could potentially grow into something, no matter how remote the chance.

If they have to lean on Tolliver heavily because of injuries to, or ineffectiveness of, players in front of him, they are boned anyway.

A lot of fans "poo poo" the idea of veteran leadership, but nearly every head coach and former player stresses how valuable that is (especially for a team like the Pistons where there are question marks on a lot of guys' consistency and effort). 

1 hour ago, 313DetroitCity said:

A lot of fans "poo poo" the idea of veteran leadership, but nearly every head coach and former player stresses how valuable that is (especially for a team like the Pistons where there are question marks on a lot of guys' consistency and effort). 

Veteran leadership is great, it would just be nice to have veteran leadership that plays a bigger role and at a higher level of skill than Tolliver.

17 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

Veteran leadership is great, it would just be nice to have veteran leadership that plays a bigger role and at a higher level of skill than Tolliver.

Like Avery Bradley

13 minutes ago, 313DetroitCity said:

Like Avery Bradley

Great example, and maybe they do manage to sign him to a deal at the end of the year.

Or they flip him to a contender at the deadline, maybe with Drummond, for other assets.

One thing is for sure, SVG will have to continue to think outside the box on his quest to acquire more talent.

i was listening to a bball podcast the other day and they referred to overpaying a player as "van gundying it."

i'm paraphrasing it, but it was still pretty funny.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Buddha said:

i was listening to a bball podcast the other day and they referred to overpaying a player as "van gundying it."

That is pretty damn funny.

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

Besides Andre, who else has SVG vastly overpaid?  Just about every free agent gets overpaid so I don't think SVG overpays more than the average GM.

Just now, NYLion said:

Besides Andre, who else has SVG vastly overpaid?  Just about every free agent gets overpaid so I don't think SVG overpays more than the average GM.

galloway

baynes

boban

reggie

the aforementioned andre drummond

ish smith was an overpay at the time

jodie meeks

basically everyone he's signed here as has been an overpay.  and then to top it off, he doesnt trade the guys he doesnt like or doesnt want to overpay (monroe, kcp, josh smith) for assets but rather simply lets them go for nothing or worse (were still overpaying josh smith...).

i think their roster management has been pretty poor.