Sign in to follow this  
Sydney_Fife

Pistons sign Anthony Tolliver

Reggie is un-tradeable right now. Time to stop begging for him to be moved and start praying he gets back to form.

50 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Still blows me away he signed Galloway.  

Is that due to Galloway being garbage, or due to better players being available for 7 million a year?

I don't know enough about the various fringe players like him to know how bad the deal is. 

Or is it about what the signing did to the team's ability to keep KCP?

19 hours ago, Deleterious said:

To be fair, the Pistons organization has given Buddha plenty of reasons to be upset in the past decade.  

It all started with Flip Saunders.

1 hour ago, DaBishop said:

and some of us know they could be doing a whooooole lot worse (ie, the 8 seasons prior to SVG)

some of us know that you were really high on all those teams too...

15 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Is that due to Galloway being garbage, or due to better players being available for 7 million a year?

I don't know enough about the various fringe players like him to know how bad the deal is. 

galloway is an easily replaceable player and they went out and blew their mle on him 5 seconds into free agency.

1 minute ago, Buddha said:

some of us know that you were really high on all those teams too...

QFT...

Come on though...that first year of Josh Smith we all drank the kool aid a little bit in hopes that it would somehow work when we all knew deep in our hearts it had no chance.

2 minutes ago, DaBishop said:

QFT...

Come on though...that first year of Josh Smith we all drank the kool aid a little bit in hopes that it would somehow work when we all knew deep in our hearts it had no chance.

:)

13 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Well, he isn't that great and it was dumb to spend that money on him so fast.  

But I said before free agency even started that they shouldn't spend the MLE this year.  This team has some serious payroll issues facing them and not spending this year would help right the ship a bit.  Plus, I would much rather have kept KCP than fill the roster with another fringe role player on a long term and expensive (For that type of player) deal.  

Maybe they go out and keep Bradley next year and I will be wrong.  But my suspicion right now is they wont.  They will move him at the deadline and leak it that he was going to want a kings ransom or he wasn't even willing to sign.  So look, we got what we could!  Meanwhile, the salary situation is better. But it cost you KCP to do it.

galloway is an easily replaceable player and they went out and blew their mle on him 5 seconds into free agency.

I think one issue SVG has as Pres/Coach is that he wants to be done with the Pres/GM stuff as fast as possible so he can get to the business of coaching. In his defense I don't think it has hurt him as much as people claim (again, i think Leuer was a great signing til he was used improperly by coach SVG, Meeks got injured, Boban...well, we'll see).

4 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Well, he isn't that great and it was dumb to spend that money on him so fast.  

But I said before free agency even started that they shouldn't spend the MLE this year.  This team has some serious payroll issues facing them and not spending this year would help right the ship a bit.  Plus, I would much rather have kept KCP than fill the roster with another fringe role player on a long term and expensive (For that type of player) deal.  

Maybe they go out and keep Bradley next year and I will be wrong.  But my suspicion right now is they wont.  They will move him at the deadline and leak it that he was going to want a kings ransom or he wasn't even willing to sign.  So look, we got what we could!  Meanwhile, the salary situation is better. But it cost you KCP to do it.

they wont trade him at the deadline and leak that info, they'll let him walk for nothing in the offseason and then leak the info.  just like they did with kcp.

they wont trade him at the deadline and leak that info, they'll let him walk for nothing in the offseason and then leak the info.  just like they did with kcp.

Don't make me sad.  

Do the offseason moves make it easier to tank after this year? Or would it have been better to have KCP under contract to trade him?

50 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Don't make me sad.  

just like they did with monroe...

23 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Do the offseason moves make it easier to tank after this year? Or would it have been better to have KCP under contract to trade him?

Unless he was going to sign on a 3 year deal or less, it's far easier to tank now. Really, they just need to deal AD for a contract that's only 3 years instead of 4, and get whatever future assets they can for the rest of the roster.

I think the schedule for tanking would be the 2nd half of this season and then the next 2 seasons or more. You'd in theory have 3 lottery picks and whatever else you can acquire in the meantime, and very little on the cap for 2020-21.

Ideally, you'd take on a bad contract and some future picks for AD. Another idea in theory would be deal Harris and Leuer for Parsons and picks. Something where you give up good players and take on some salary for picks or young players.

34 minutes ago, Shelton said:

You would prefer to get an asset for KCP.

Galloway is a nice tank piece.  Bad enough you can start Kennard no questions asked.  But OK enough he should give Kennard some competition.  If you could move Reggie and Ish he is even young enough to start as part of your tank team at PG.  Although, someone with a higher ceiling would be more desirable.  

Gores hasn't shown me any signs he will tank.  He seems pretty content to keep firing shots at the lower half of the playoff bracket each year.  You can be a pretty profitable organization making the playoffs 3 out of 5 years.  

I have always been on the tanking side but if they are able to move Reggie, I would not mind seeing where things go with the rest of this roster the next two years.  I have always liked Harris, Bradley is a nice pickup, and I am not as down on Drummond as everybody else (although I am not exactly up on him either).  I realize that leaves us without a point guard but you can't fix the whole roster in one offseason.  Just role with Ish, Udrih, and Galloway for a season until you can find a more long term solution.  

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 1:43 PM, Deleterious said:

Galloway is a nice tank piece. 

I like the term 'tank piece'.  I am going to have to use that in the future.

I'm still blown away by anyone who complains about this move. He's insurance in case Ellenson isn't ready the way we hope, Wouldn't be an absolute nightmare if he's forced into 20 mpg due to injury. He's a known quantity, consistent. For 3.3 mil in one year we couldn't have gotten much better. Not a game changer by any stretch but for the 11th or 12th guy it's crazy to moan and groan about it.

Signing a guy like Tolliver shows the complete lack of vision and direction this franchise has.

A team like the Pistons should not be picking up a 32 year old player to play a single minute.  I'm all for making the youngsters earn their playing time, but not against a guy who has zero future in this organization.  If you want someone to challenge Ellenson for minutes, go out and sign a 26 year old, a 27 year old.  Someone still young enough to give the organization a solid 5 years if he works out.  I'm more comfortable with that type of player taking PT from Ellenson than I am in and old guy like Tolliver.

If he was strictly brought here as a locker room presence, I have no problem with it.  I do think they missed guys like Tolliver and Joel Anthony last year.  Their oldest player was Baynes?  Actually, it was probably Beno.  But you need those vets around for the kids to learn.

But Tolliver has already said he didn't sing just to be a locker room guy.  So that makes me think he was offered the possibility of getting some run.  

who are you going to get for short money and one year to be that 26-27 year old guy, plays the 4, is a known quantity, and shoots well from 3? They're not getting some potential future starting PF or even high end back up with what they have available. He was the 4th best distance shooting PF last year taking 3.5 per game.

Who is this magical player you'd prefer they sign? A G-Leaguer? And what if Ellenson isn't ready? Our best option to replace him is another question mark? At least with Tolliver you know what you're getting. You may want us to be tanking but we're not. You may not like the vision or direction, but this signing is directly in line with the teams vision and direction and until they trade away AD and Jackson, tanking isn't in the cards.

28 minutes ago, DaBishop said:

who are you going to get for short money and one year to be that 26-27 year old guy, plays the 4, is a known quantity, and shoots well from 3? They're not getting some potential future starting PF or even high end back up with what they have available. He was the 4th best distance shooting PF last year taking 3.5 per game.

Who is this magical player you'd prefer they sign? A G-Leaguer? And what if Ellenson isn't ready? Our best option to replace him is another question mark? At least with Tolliver you know what you're getting. You may want us to be tanking but we're not. You may not like the vision or direction, but this signing is directly in line with the teams vision and direction and until they trade away AD and Jackson, tanking isn't in the cards.

I do know what we're getting with Tolliver. A terrible player who shouldn't step foot in the court for the Pistons.

Total lack of direction.