Sign in to follow this  
Sydney_Fife

Pistons sign Anthony Tolliver

I don't know what Moute is going to sign for but it seems like he would have been a better fit.  Tolliver is a good shooter and I know the Pistons are starved for shooting but our front court is desperate for a good defender, especially with Morris gone.  

This summer just keeps getting better and better!

Lets get the whole gang back together from that one year we finished 8th in the east!

What a joke,

Your like/dislike of this move will be directly related to your like/dislike of Ellenson.  I don't think much of him so I don't mind this all that much.

I am a little shocked they used the BAE for only a single season.  I guess they did that knowing how screwed they are next year with the luxury tax.  A $3.4M contract for Tolliver next year would actually cost $8.5M.

Welcome to luxury tax basketball!

2 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

Someone is getting traded. 

I tried trading Buddha but he used some baseball chicanery to block it.

• Like 2

10-5 baby.  I only leave if I go somewhere I want, like Phoenix's board so I can hang out with Devin.

So Ellenson spends the year in the GLeague so Stan can convince himself Tolliver's "veteran presence" and ability to hit 36% of 3s can help us land the 8th spot and keep his job.

Ridiculous.

2 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Can they bring back Josh Smith?  I mean, what the heck, he's getting paid anyway.

I have to admit.  It would be hilarious to see him listed twice on all of the salary websites.  

Tolliver was always an SVG favorite. Good locker room guy. I believe we missed him, Joel anthony, Caron Butler type guys last year through the rough stretches. 

Tolliver is a good bench guy, just not a huge 20+ minute per night guy. 

• Like 2

I don't mind the move, Tolliver is a good locker room guy and as long as he's not playing 20 minutes a night as a primary backup, he'll serve his purpose.

What I don't like is the timing of this and the Bullock deal. We're rushing to fill our roster and spend a few extra dollars in mid-July when we should be leaving some roster flexibility for that big trade that needs to happen (Drummond and/or Reggie).

16 hours ago, Buddha said:

This summer just keeps getting better and better!

Lets get the whole gang back together from that one year we finished 8th in the east!

What a joke,

I know...it's like we have the same exact team as 2015 not counting the two new starters(Bradley and SJ or Leuer) and 6 new back-ups (Ish, Galloway, Boban, Leuer *f SJ starts*, Kennard, Ellenson). I feel like we're in a time-warp

16 hours ago, Buddha said:

So Ellenson spends the year in the GLeague so Stan can convince himself Tolliver's "veteran presence" and ability to hit 36% of 3s can help us land the 8th spot and keep his job.

Ridiculous.

or 39%...If Ellenson can beat out Tolliver, then he'll get the job. If he can't then we have a capable stretch 4 getting 10 mpg instead. Nothing like over-reacting to signing a 4th/5th big. Yikes

1 hour ago, Betrayer said:

I don't mind the move, Tolliver is a good locker room guy and as long as he's not playing 20 minutes a night as a primary backup, he'll serve his purpose.

What I don't like is the timing of this and the Bullock deal. We're rushing to fill our roster and spend a few extra dollars in mid-July when we should be leaving some roster flexibility for that big trade that needs to happen (Drummond and/or Reggie).

I don't know....I think Tolliver and Bullock's salaries could be pretty helpful in a trade.

35 minutes ago, DaBishop said:

I know...it's like we have the same exact team as 2015 not counting the two new starters(Bradley and SJ or Leuer) and 6 new back-ups (Ish, Galloway, Boban, Leuer *f SJ starts*, Kennard, Ellenson). I feel like we're in a time-warp

youre right, its getting the band back together for the team that won 37 games last year + tolliver!

thats much better.

I know...minus 2 new starters, and 2 new 2nd unit players, it's the same team. I'm with you brother. It's like other changing the format of 40% of the rotation they didn't make any changes at all.

19 minutes ago, DaBishop said:

I know...minus 2 new starters, and 2 new 2nd unit players, it's the same team. I'm with you brother. It's like other changing the format of 40% of the rotation they didn't make any changes at all.

what do you actually think about this team?  how do you think theyre going to do next year and what direction do you think theyre going in?  

That's not the point. The point is your complaints are unwarranted.

In answer to your question, however, I think they did what they could to alter this roster. No NBA team is going to throw in the towel on a player like AD at 23 yo, and frankly I don't really want them to just yet. I also don't want them to treat Reggie like Ben Gordon and ship away a 1st just to get him off the roster.

I think they are better then last year with Avery Bradley who is just now entering his prime so improvement isn't just possible but likely.

I think I am happy to see Morris gone because I thought he had no business in the starting line-up. At least if SJ or Leuer start they won't take 13 shots per game while shooting an awful % which can only help our offense which was the real issue last year.

I think this team went from being one of the worst shooting teams in the league to a middle of the pack at least team. Out of our starting line-up went  Morris (42%/33%) KCP(40%/35%) and in come Bradley(46%/39%) and Harris (48%/35%). Galloway, Tolliver and Kennard should also help. This was a huge problem this team had last year playing 4 out 1 in.

All this said, most importantly, I think this team is unfortunately tied to the health of Reggie's knee and SVG's ability to get AD to stop posting up and taking shots from outside of 3ft. If both can be answered in the positive then I think we're actually pretty close to the team that finished out 2016, even better. If we can't, then yes we're fighting for an 8th seed.

I do not however think they sat on their hands. I don't think this is the same team as last year or even 2 years ago. I think they're moving in a positive direction compared to last year but until we know about the other two issues, we are not moving in a positive direction from 2 years ago. Rather than crying and whining about some magical wand that can be waved to solve all our problems, I'll wait and see before spelling the death knell.

22 minutes ago, Buddha said:

what do you actually think about this team?  how do you think theyre going to do next year and what direction do you think theyre going in?  

What moves would you have liked to see them make this off-season that would change the tenor of your posts? Is there anything realistic they could have done that you wouldn't be complaining about?

5 minutes ago, DaBishop said:

That's not the point. The point is your complaints are unwarranted.

In answer to your question, however, I think they did what they could to alter this roster. No NBA team is going to throw in the towel on a player like AD at 23 yo, and frankly I don't really want them to just yet. I also don't want them to treat Reggie like Ben Gordon and ship away a 1st just to get him off the roster.

I think they are better then last year with Avery Johnson who is just now entering his prime so improvement isn't just possible but likely.

I think I am happy to see Morris gone because I thought he had no business in the starting line-up. At least if SJ or Leuer start they won't take 13 shots per game while shooting an awful % which can only help our offense which was the real issue last year.

I think this team went from being one of the worst shooting teams in the league to a middle of the pack at least team. Out of our starting line-up went  Morris (42%/33%) KCP(40%/35%) and in come Bradley(46%/39%) and Harris (48%/35%). Galloway, Tolliver and Kennard should also help. This was a huge problem this team had last year playing 4 out 1 in.

All this said, most importantly, I think this team is unfortunately tied to the health of Reggie's knee and SVG's ability to get AD to stop posting up and taking shots from outside of 3ft. If both can be answered in the positive then I think we're actually pretty close to the team that finished out 2016, even better. If we can't, then yes we're fighting for an 8th seed.

I do not however think they sat on their hands. I don't think this is the same team as last year or even 2 years ago. I think they're moving in a positive direction compared to last year but until we know about the other two issues, we are not moving in a positive direction from 2 years ago. Rather than crying and whining about some magical wand that can be waved to solve all our problems, I'll wait and see before spelling the death knell.

I think it's been a good off-season for the 2017-18 season, for the reasons you state, and also a good off-season if they want to start rebuilding.

They improved the immediate fit around AD and Reggie. That's really all they could do for this year as it all hinges on those 2, as you state.

They also have given themselves an out if it falls apart again this season. They can trade Bradley and AD for some picks and a contract and go into tank mode for 2018-19 and 2019-20.

Where they may have hurt themselves is if they are actually good this year and want to keep on for 2018-19. They might either lose Bradley or feel forced to overpay for him worse than they tried to do with KCP. In that case, you might rather have Morris still around and KCP locked in.

It's hard to say. If they kept Morris and KCP, they are basically the same team as last year and that team sucked. Maybe they get better performance from Reggie and they play above .500 but that's probably the best you can hope for. 

They made some changes that on the surface don't appear to make them substantially better, but you never know. Maybe the pieces fit together better. 

If they suck again, they can start the tank. That would be harder to do if they had signed KCP. If they are good, they can try to sign Bradley and keep it going. 

22 minutes ago, DaBishop said:

What moves would you have liked to see them make this off-season that would change the tenor of your posts? Is there anything realistic they could have done that you wouldn't be complaining about?

Dre for Deandre wouid've been a good start.