roarintiger1

2017 Trade Deadline Thread

40 minutes ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

I guess it'd depend on Victor as well. If you have a DH that can't field at all, then you probably need 2 UTIL, including 1 that can IF/OF. If Candelario makes the team over Victor, that'd be another IF which could push Romine out.

I'd personally like to see Romine replaced with an OF bat, for example one that can platoon with Presley and not suck. Not that Presley is or should be part of the plan for next year, but Romine doesn't hit well enough to be part of any platoon.

I think JaCoby is athletic enough to a super utility type - if he hits of course maybe more.

Something else to consider is that perhaps MLB does go a 26 man roster...  IMHO - I feel it could help the game.

2 hours ago, retiredsport said:

Drizzle, I agree with your comments on Romine,  how you can play him and let a 270 or 300 hitter sit the bench???  As a replacement how about Quintana at Erie (plays multiply  positions and hits 20+ home runs)

Yeah for the position Romine is playing I don't really see why you wouldn't give a younger guy a shot, unless it's someone you feel needs regular ABs

2 minutes ago, pyrotigers said:

Yeah for the position Romine is playing I don't really see why you wouldn't give a younger guy a shot, unless it's someone you feel needs regular ABs

I think the problem is that romine has been getting almost regular ABs lately. If Nick is going to get a look in the outfield, it would make sense to me to just throw him out there, and then give Jeimer a look. Romine can go back to playing once a week. 

I think playing once a week is a good role for a guy like romine. Even then, at this point just give his roster spot to jacoby. Let machado back up the infield. 

4 hours ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

Iggy is going to have to stretch to get to 2 WAR. but for $6M or so that's fine.

Machado is fine as a backup MI, altho with Romine he's a bit redundant.

Romine will be on his last arb year for 2018, I wonder if he's non-tendered? He can play everywhere, but is -0.7 fWAR and will be 32.

Iglesias might finish up between 1.6-1.8 WAR, unless he finishes on a tear.  But I said close to a 2WAR SS.  Even where he is at now, he theoretically a $10MM/year SS. So if we're paying him something like $5-6 million, it's still a pretty good deal. 

2 hours ago, pyrotigers said:

My theory about bench players is you look for AAAA guys right at about 28-30 that haven't been able to break into a MLB spot and maybe you get lucky with a guy who figures some stuff out or gets just a little better with that little extra physical maturity strength and the guy plays some good ball for you for a couple of years and then you move on. Romine is about at the end of that arc, Kelly actually came into a bit older than expected, but I think that's always what you are looking for as a GM. 

The other options are young guys on their up but you usually want them to be playing regularly if they have any potential, or older guys on the tail end, but they usually are too disappointing on defense to use the way you want to use your bench players.

• Like 1

I like the idea of getting younger guys as much game time as possible.  There are occasions where that just isn't possible, such as with Machado being out of options.

Going back to what I mentioned earlier, I also like the idea of getting guys a little exposure at different positions in the minors if they have the mentality to handle it without sacrificing their overall development.  Maybe this is more difficult in practice than in theory, I don't know.

I think ideally you try to have two backup options per position, with the exception of catcher, where you've just got some poor soul that knows that they're going to be on call if all Hedes breaks loose.  A primary back up and an emergency back up that isn't going to look like a fish out of water.

So even if Machado were to develop into a utility guy, I think the Tigers probably still need another bench piece to back up the infield.  I'm not sure if that's Jones or not.

24 minutes ago, Casimir said:

I like the idea of getting younger guys as much game time as possible.  There are occasions where that just isn't possible, such as with Machado being out of options.

Going back to what I mentioned earlier, I also like the idea of getting guys a little exposure at different positions in the minors if they have the mentality to handle it without sacrificing their overall development.  Maybe this is more difficult in practice than in theory, I don't know.

I think ideally you try to have two backup options per position, with the exception of catcher, where you've just got some poor soul that knows that they're going to be on call if all Hedes breaks loose.  A primary back up and an emergency back up that isn't going to look like a fish out of water.

So even if Machado were to develop into a utility guy, I think the Tigers probably still need another bench piece to back up the infield.  I'm not sure if that's Jones or not.

Yeah - If Jones' bat never gets to starter status, he could be an ideal bench guy, but the bat still has to get a little better even to be a bench guy.

Olney has a new column about possible futures of the trade candidates that did not give moved, and discusses Upton - also JV and Kinsler.

On Upton, he says that his contract is big enough that it will "probably scare some clubs" but speculates a team like the Phillies - looking to move to that next level - "could be an interesting fit."

He never even mentions that Upton's opt out clause tho, so not the most thoughtful piece.

Some Jackwagon on Twitter...Heyman?...says the Tigers and Astros are still kicking around a JV deal > I think we should do this: Daz Cameron and Whitley for JV and $18 mil.

A deal like that would push our system into the top 3rd of the league with a relatively high draft slot to come

26 minutes ago, Lei Pong said:

Some Jackwagon on Twitter...Heyman?...says the Tigers and Astros are still kicking around a JV deal > I think we should do this: Daz Cameron and Whitley for JV and $18 mil.

A deal like that would push our system into the top 3rd of the league with a relatively high draft slot to come

That's not enough (and some of the shine has come off Daz since his draft day)

If JV is traded -- I'm prepared to be disappointed. Even if AA eats 20 mil or more on his contract, I don't know that we do all that well. 

45 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

please don't trade Verlander.

This.

The only thing I like about the rumor now is that I tend to think the further to the end of August this gets, the better the return must be for the Tigers than what was discussed before.

But even at that, I want to see Verlander win his world series as a member of the Tigers.

Al needs to make this happen.  He cant **** this up like he did with JD and trade him 2 years too late.

This team isnt winning any time soon so stop asking for a Sale return and get a ******* deal done while JV still has value. 

He won't be traded. Heyman publishes his piece, which is no different than the other reports from earlier this month. And then follow up by saying the teams haven't spoken in a week, that they remain far apart, and that a deal is improbable. 

We know Al is only making trades that bring back value. Houston clutches their top prospects. They obviously want Verlander, but my guess is that their offer is something resembling the JD trade, along with Detroit eating a large amount of money. That's not going to cut it. 

Avila is probably asking for tucker and other pieces, and is willing to eat some money but not a lot. I'm sure Al is willing to eat more money, but he isn't willing to take a lesser package. 

If Houston gives up tucker, there will be a deal. I don't see that happening. 

• Like 2

If Houston had any ambition for a WS this year, they would get it done. JV is better than Quintana, Gray, and Darvish and they need him if they want to have the best or close to the best team in the playoffs.

I really think the Cubs are going to end up kicking themselves for dealing for Quintana instead of JV.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

If Houston had any ambition for a WS this year, they would get it done. JV is better than Quintana, Gray, and Darvish and they need him if they want to have the best or close to the best team in the playoffs.

I really think the Cubs are going to end up kicking themselves for dealing for Quintana instead of JV.

if JV pitches better over the next couple years, then yeah. A team like the Cubs doesn't need the guy with the better $/war. 

Heyman is a shill for agents who knows nothing. I see that other people are already saying the Tigers and Astros actually haven't talked since last week

1 hour ago, MDMAzing said:

Al needs to make this happen.  He cant **** this up like he did with JD and trade him 2 years too late.

This team isnt winning any time soon so stop asking for a Sale return and get a ******* deal done while JV still has value. 

What if the Astros don't make a good offer?  Should Avila still make the deal?  

2 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

That's not enough (and some of the shine has come off Daz since his draft day)

Daz has played extremely well in the 2nd half of this season.  I don't do a deal without Tucker.

2 hours ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

Quintana is a very good pitcher, 6 years younger than JV and on a unreal team friendly deal.  Trading for him over JV was about as obvious as it gets.

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

What if the Astros don't make a good offer?  Should Avila still make the deal?  

Almost everything Avila has done has blown up in his face because he is a complete buffoon.  Im sure a reasonable offer was made but he is insisting on Tucker/Whitley/+, all while having HOU pay for the entire contract.  HOU probably laughed, hung up the phone and laughed some more.  Avila is looking for a Sale return for a guy who isnt worth it.  No wonder no one is biting.

1 hour ago, cruzer1 said:

Daz has played extremely well in the 2nd half of this season.  I don't do a deal without Tucker.

He has. That's why I said some of the shine. 

13 minutes ago, MDMAzing said:

Im sure a reasonable offer was made but he is insisting on Tucker/Whitley/+, all while having HOU pay for the entire contract.  HOU probably laughed, hung up the phone and laughed some more.  Avila is looking for a Sale return for a guy who isnt worth it.  No wonder no one is biting.

How do you know what kind of return Avila is asking for?  How do you know a reasonable offer was made?  A lot of teams probably don't want to pick up that contract.  It is not a bad one, but he is expensive.