roarintiger1

2017 Trade Deadline Thread

Just now, ROMAD1 said:

It sends a signal to the waivering teams that a key piece might just go off the board unless they up their offer.

Perhaps. Although you could still send that signal pretty easily in other ways without creating a big to do in the media and the fan base. 

Prior to the tweet from Woodbury, I don't think anyone was talking about verhagen being a potential replacement for JV tonight. 

1 minute ago, Shelton said:

Perhaps. Although you could still send that signal pretty easily in other ways without creating a big to do in the media and the fan base. 

Prior to the tweet from Woodbury, I don't think anyone was talking about verhagen being a potential replacement for JV tonight. 

I kinda doubt that Al Avila has the dexterity to think this shrewdly about positioning Verhagen for this eventuality.  Or, to pull off some sort of D-Day deception campaign.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ROMAD1 said:

I kinda doubt that Al Avila has the dexterity to think this shrewdly about positioning Verhagen for this eventuality.  Or, to pull off some sort of D-Day deception campaign.

Oh I don't disagree with that. I think that "if" the verhagen call up has anything to do with JV being traded, they went the easy way and just called him up. No need to complicate it with calling him up as a contingency for a day, even though they could have. Even if he considered the contingent call up, he probably decided that there was no need when they could simply just send down Adduci, with the added benefit of actually having the extra arm. 

7 minutes ago, Shelton said:

It might be a ploy by Avila, and one that might kick something into gear.  Or it is as simple as needing a long man for tonight, but I don't buy that one.

Just now, cruzer1 said:

It might be a ploy by Avila, and one that might kick something into gear.  Or it is as simple as needing a long man for tonight, but I don't buy that one.

As one last attempt at clarifying my position, I think there is a decent chance that JV could be traded today, and they called up verhagen just in case. I don't think a trade is likely, though. But this covers them, and they can use an extra arm more than extra bat right now anyway. 

• Like 1

I missed the news that Verhagen was officially called up.  I thought the report was just that he was 'around' if necessary.

The real tell would be if Verhagen is hanging around tonight's C right now and getting scouting reports from the staff.  Is he shadowing JV?  We got 4 hours left.

2 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

It's a quick ride up...oh wait, construction!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I-75 construction is southbound. 

10 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Rod Allen could tell us, but he is down at the batting cages.

Probably getting in his Tee work

As far as the bullpen is concerned, Green pitched on 07/21 and 07/23 (arduously); Rondon on 07/19, 07/21, 07/22, and 07/23; WilsonJ on 07/19, 07/21, and 07/23.  Not sure any of these arms are available today.  Saupold through 4 innings on 07/22, so perhaps he is unavailable as well.

There might be a trade on the horizon, but I don't think this is solely a tell of any kind that someone is being moved along.

3 minutes ago, Casimir said:

As far as the bullpen is concerned, Green pitched on 07/21 and 07/23 (arduously); Rondon on 07/19, 07/21, 07/22, and 07/23; WilsonJ on 07/19, 07/21, and 07/23.  Not sure any of these arms are available today.  Saupold through 4 innings on 07/22, so perhaps he is unavailable as well.

There might be a trade on the horizon, but I don't think this is solely a tell of any kind that someone is being moved along.

I don't think there is any trade and its a tweet that Woodbury, if he thinks about it for a second, will want to take back. 

1 hour ago, 4hzglory said:

Can anyone really see JV waiving his no-trade to go to Milwaukee?  If it was only for this season I maybe could, but not for the next 2.

No.  Clearly JV is only going to waive his no-trade if he goes to a large market baseball town with a competitive team. 

Dodgers.  Yankees.  Cubs.  Boston.  Those are the only fits that I could envision. Doubtful he is all that eager to run away from the legacy he has built here in order to get stuck in a 3rd rate baseball town and a small market team.  

5 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Wrong "through", dumbass.

21 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

I-75 construction is southbound. 

There's a ton of construction in Toledo.

6 minutes ago, Casimir said:

J wilson could probably go today, and probably will if there is a small lead in the ninth. 

Saupold, rondon, and Greene are probably not available. 

That leaves bell, stumpf, and Alex Wilson. They could probably get by with that, but it definitely doesn't hurt to have a guy like verhagen around. 

Thinking more about it, a potential JV trade likely had nothing to do with it. 

4 minutes ago, ballmich said:

No.  Clearly JV is only going to waive his no-trade if he goes to a large market baseball town with a competitive team. 

Dodgers.  Yankees.  Cubs.  Boston.  Those are the only fits that I could envision. Doubtful he is all that eager to run away from the legacy he has built here in order to get stuck in a 3rd rate baseball town and a small market team.  

I think he would accept a trade to Houston. That's a pretty large market and they will be plenty good over the next couple years. 

Me as an opposing GM: "All they have to replace Verlander is Drew Verhagen? Lol allow me to lower my offer and also casually call Al Avila a "chumpstain" next time I call"

8 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I think he would accept a trade to Houston. That's a pretty large market and they will be plenty good over the next couple years. 

But it provides limited opportunity for marketing contracts, and it has no connections to Hollywood or the modeling market which would be important for his fiance.  And at this stage of his career, you'd think that JV would be taking these into consideration, in addition to playing for a competitive team. 

• Like 1

You know, some players even put a lot of weight into where the team spends ST, preferring FL over AZ or vice versa.  If JV really wants to spend ST in FL, you could make a case that really the teams are only the Yankees and Boston. Some players are like that.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ballmich said:

But it provides limited opportunity for marketing contracts, and it has no connections to Hollywood or the modeling market which would be important for his fiance.  And at this stage of his career, you'd think that JV would be taking these into consideration, in addition to playing for a competitive team. 

I think they can tough out living in separate city's for a few years. It's not like air fare would be a problem and they can't afford to have a house in LA and an apartment in Houston.

1 minute ago, ballmich said:

I don't think it matters to Kate's career which team JV plays for. 

And I also don't think any of those personal marketing aspects mean much to him. But if we are going to use these little factors as part of his decisions, surely the lack of state income tax over 81 games would be more than enough to outweigh whatever additional local marketing opportunities there might be in those other cities. 

3 minutes ago, rhino said:

I think they can tough out living in separate city's for a few years. It's not like air fare would be a problem and they can't afford to have a house in LA and an apartment in Houston.

Of course they could, but there is no incentive to do that. They are already doing that now, presumably. 

2 minutes ago, Shelton said:

And I also don't think any of those personal marketing aspects mean much to him. But if we are going to use these little factors as part of his decisions, surely the lack of state income tax over 81 games would be more than enough to outweigh whatever additional local marketing opportunities there might be in those other cities. 

That would be a driving force for me, certainly.  Based upon JV's car collection, I don't feel he's all that tight fisted in these kinds of things, so I don't see this as a big motivating factor for him.  However, I could be wrong. 

I don't think JV will be traded. 

22 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Some factors that may be little or even trivial to us, may be paramount to Kate.  And it seems what is paramount to Kate could matter to JV a great deal.  

It is hard for anyone but JV to know if this is a Dodgers or bust situation for him, but the man did buy a house in Beverly Hills last year.  It reminds me of when we heard Porcello was building a place up in VT around the time of the Red Sox deal, although it could just be coincidence. 

• Like 1

We can all speculate, I guess. I don't get the sense from JV that he's motivated to use his veto power to best help Kate upton's modeling career, but who knows. 

I think winning rather than rebuilding is his primary concern. I think he's smart enough to know that GMs don't typically get to just pick from one of many equivalent deals. 

If the option is to stay in Detroit this year or to move to a team that will be a contender for the next few years, I think he approves the deal if it is offered.

I don't think he was ever planning to play anywhere but Detroit, and I don't think he entered this season expecting a trade to LA or anything like that. 

If the dodgers or Yankees make an offer, then great. But it would seem pretty short sighted of him to veto a trade to a team like Houston that can offer him something better than what he is getting right now.