roarintiger1

2017 Trade Deadline Thread

On August 30, 2017 at 2:36 PM, Tenacious D said:

Tomorrow will be JV's last day as a Tiger.  

On August 30, 2017 at 9:18 PM, Casimir said:

False.

Can't say I feel good about being right about this, but love that Casimir was wrong.

1 minute ago, Tenacious D said:

Can't say I feel good about being right about this, but love that Casimir was wrong.

1 minute ago, Tenacious D said:

What, once to stab the knife and the second time to twist the knife?

Looking at the Cubs stats, Avila has been a solid pickup for them.  .260 avg, .372 OBP, 16 RBI in 87 AB's.  Really filled a void with Contreras hurt.

However, a very different story for Justin Wilson, who was the prize in that trade.  He has a 5.84 ERA and 12 walks in just 14 IP.  Ouch.

Yeah Wilson has not been good for them but fortunately for the Cubs it looks like they are still going to win the division(even though the Brewers are making it interesting)so hopefully for them he redeems himself for them in the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

What happened to him after the trade?  Doesn't make sense--I'm glad that the trade looks like it will work in our favor, I feel bad for the guy.

I think it's just really hard to get an understanding of a reliever's true talent level due to the small sample size variation. A slump totally destroys their numbers and they have such a small margin for error that there is a tendency to think the sky has fallen when they stop being totally dominant. What's worse, is that you never know how right you might be about that thought. 

11 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

What happened to him after the trade?  Doesn't make sense--I'm glad that the trade looks like it will work in our favor, I feel bad for the guy.

No idea but maybe we can get him back on the cheap for next year.