roarintiger1

2017 Trade Deadline Thread

There is no right way to build a team.  It is hard to have sustained success when you never produce any homegrown players, but there is nothing wrong about making trades and signing free agents.  

2 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

JD is flat out one of the best Tigers stories in my lifetime.  I remember vividly posting that he was AAAA fodder.  He was a better minor league hitter than I gave him credit for, but he also seriously transformed his hitting style when he came to the Tigers from a groundball hitter into a flyball hitter, and the rest is history.

He is one of my all-time favorite Tigers for the story and because he is such a great hitter.  

It's also hard to produce homegrown position players if you draft pitchers in the first round every year, and other years you don't draft a first rounder at all, and you don't spend much on international hitters.

• Like 1

The rest of the league flew by the Tigers.  I'm glad that Avila is here, and DD isn't.  DD was always looking for a quick fix.  He trades away any value.  He's a good GM, but he's not for the Tigers right now.  Avila is more up the Tigers alley, and I hope he stays.

52 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

He is one of my all-time favorite Tigers for the story and because he is such a great hitter.  

In terms of late bloomer Tiger hitters the only other comparo is Cecil Fielder.  Phillips was amazing too, but not for power obviously.

1 hour ago, cruzer1 said:

It's also hard to produce homegrown position players if you draft pitchers in the first round every year, and other years you don't draft a first rounder at all, and you don't spend much on international hitters.

But drafting earlier isn't going to help the Tigers unless they can identify and develop prospects.  Sure, not picking first leaves you out of the mix for Carlos Correa.  But they've fouled on their fair share of early picks just the same.

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

There is no right way to build a team.  It is hard to have sustained success when you never produce any homegrown players, but there is nothing wrong about making trades and signing free agents.  

Right.  The advantage of the home grown talent is cost efficiency and familiarity with the organization.  But the approach isn't fool proof.  How long was Kansas City rebuilding for?

43 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

In terms of late bloomer Tiger hitters the only other comparo is Cecil Fielder.  Phillips was amazing too, but not for power obviously.

I loved Phillips.  Fielder was awesome his first year, but he became overrated after that which took away some of the magic.  

46 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

That batting stance, the OBP, the versatility.  Fun times watching that dude play. 

48 minutes ago, Casimir said:

That batting stance, the OBP, the versatility.  Fun times watching that dude play. 

I especially loved how he drilled for oil before every pitch.

Rumor on WXYT 97.1 The Ticket reported that the Cubs offered Schwarber even up for Fulmer. 

11 minutes ago, cruzer1 said:

Rumor on WXYT 97.1 The Ticket reported that the Cubs offered Schwarber even up for Fulmer. 

LOL north side. In what universe do you trade a 7.8 WAR player over the last two years for -0.7 WAR player over the same period that doesn't even have a position on the field?. There must be more than Ivy growing in that ballpark judging by what they must be smoking.

• Like 1

I still say baseball has the most exciting trade deadlines and off seasons of any sport...

Deadline predictions:  Justin Wilson to the Nats. Avila maybe to Boston. Maybe the Twins. Cubs?  JD to Dodgers? That's where everyone thinks he's going. Toronto? Tampa? Brewers?  Depends on who gets injured on the contenders over the next few weeks.

Ver too expensive to move. Sanchez could go if he puts together a couple more quality starts although he is somewhat expensive with his '18 buyout. The guy we don't talk about is Saupold, Warwick Saupold. He's had a good couple of months and somebody might want him. Kinsler too expensive.

If Saup does not get moved I'd like to see him get Zim's spot in the rotation. He's earned it.

It would be great to trade Justin Wilson to the Nats and force them to take Zim back. They really need help in the pen and we're gonna have all kinds of leverage on this one. (I can dream, right?) They could be shoppers for Saupold (and I suppose Greene). Don't know if anyone is dim enough to pick up Alex Wilson.

Closer spot on the Tigs will likely go to Edward Mujika of the Hens. He's been around a while but has put up good numbers there this year. Also, Jeff Ferrel has had a strong first half and would likely get another shot in the Tigers' pen.

Wait, the Nats are going to take Zimmermann back because they want Wilson? Sign me up for that trade! 

In all seriousness, if Verlander and Kinsler are too expensive to trade, then so is Zimmermann. But we can all dram I guess. 

I for one hope we renovate rather than rebuild. I think we have under performed and with some "focused" changes we can compete in 2018 while allowing our minor league players to improve. But we should finally recognize we play in a BIG ballpark that calls for defensive prowess and faster more athletic players. As such I would trade JD. Losing the bat hurts "big league" but he is a poor defender and slow runner. Replace him with speed and defense and make up for some of the lost offense. But its also 12 million off the payroll going forward. Plus the players we get for him. Might be close to a wash..a solid prospect + Better right field defense + better base running + what we get with the 12 million = JD ???

We should move Nickolas  to  1B for the same reasons. Defense. He can not play third base. Quit trying to force it. Move Miggy to DH and call Victor what he is. Done. These are tough decisions but we need to renovate our defense and base running. We need to help our pitchers and learn to score without a home run. And since we are out of the 2017 race I would make these moves Friday. Why wait ? As an Organization we waste too much time analyzing personnel. How many games did we lose this year "deciding" if Krod was done or not ? It cost us badly. Same last year with Pelfry, Lowe and Sanchez.  Farmer..starter or reliever ? Casty outfield or 3B..the list goes on. Heck we have one of the largest outfields and we still do not have a center fielder to match our park. That should be job one from now until next April and with all trades.

Who's to say a starting rotation of Verlander, Fulmer, Norris, Zimmerman and Boyd can't rebound in 2018. There's talent there and with better defense all five could be better. Wilson can close. Greene looks solid. Just add two or three bullpen arms.

If Stewart can not field then include him in a trade for another young player. Maybe  nice 2b prospect near ready. Set a blueprint...we want athletic players that can run, field and hit and follow through. Don"t draft "Bats" only. Get complete players and stay away from large  and long free agent deals. If the player is over 30 limit it to two years. Otherwise maybe four. No more legacy deals. And yes I think we need a new voice in the dugout and removal of all coaches except maybe Omar and Clark. No more Dubee...and certainly sweep away Legendary and Lamont. New voice without shadows.

8 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

This idea is terrible.

Just now, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

What would the Cubs give us for Norris?

A warm sixer of Olde Style.

8 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

The Cubs must have had a bad cell connection and the rest of their offer got cut off.

48 minutes ago, Casimir said:

A warm sixer of Olde Style.

If they really wanted him, they would throw in some wine coolers too.

15 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

I don't think they can have their cake and eat it too.  They need to let JD go so they can move Stewart in his spot, imo.  I'm hoping Upton opts out, opening up more money so that proper moves are made in the future.  I think it makes no sense to block a guy like Stewart, offensively he seems ready to hit and he is what he is defensively.  He'll be 24 next year, and should be up in a full time role next year.  He's also doing a nice job vs. lefties.

Why if Justin Upton opted out, they could use that money to sign a Justin Upton caliber player!

10 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

2 hours ago, Casimir said:

This idea is terrible.

It's not a terrible idea for the Cubs. If the Tigers took it, the Cubs would love it. Maybe the Tigers should offer McCann to the Yankees for Judge? 

Tigers counter offer was Fulmer for the Tigers get to go back in time and win last year's World Series in the Cubs place and also we all get a free ice cold beer

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

It's not a terrible idea for the Cubs. If the Tigers took it, the Cubs would love it.

**** those wankers.

I thought I saw something somewhere about Chicago & Detroit exchanging prospects.  Chicago has position player prospects, Detroit has pitching prospects.  But Fulmer for Schwarber?