Jump to content

roarintiger1

2017 Trade Deadline Thread

Recommended Posts


2 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

apparently Kinsler's 2018 option is 5m or 12m, not 5m or 10m. Not sure if he hit incentives to make it jump 2m, or if everyone just had it wrong at 10m

Cot's has the club option at $10MM with the $5MM buyout.  I can't say that Cot's is right or wrong, but so far as I'm concerned, they are the definitive source for fan level payroll data.  I don't think you can get any more accurate than this.

I do think the B-R data shows an option of $12MM, though I'm not sure exactly what their source data is.  I think it says it's MLBtraderumors and Matt Swartz, but then they also go on to recommend Cots in their notes.  

I have noted that at times, B-R data has been wrong because they will sometimes do things like pro-rate an upfront bonus over the life of the contract --- which might be helpful for certain analysis, but not exactly correct for actual payroll by year. Which is why, again, I would refer back to Cots any time there is a discrepancy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, ballmich said:

Cot's has the club option at $10MM with the $5MM buyout.  I can't say that Cot's is right or wrong, but so far as I'm concerned, they are the definitive source for fan level payroll data.  I don't think you can get any more accurate than this.

I do think the B-R data shows an option of $12MM, though I'm not sure exactly what their source data is.  I think it says it's MLBtraderumors and Matt Swartz, but then they also go on to recommend Cots in their notes.  

I have noted that at times, B-R data has been wrong because they will sometimes do things like pro-rate an upfront bonus over the life of the contract --- which might be helpful for certain analysis, but not exactly correct for actual payroll by year. Which is why, again, I would refer back to Cots any time there is a discrepancy. 

I also trust Cot's more than another payroll data source.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Chris Shelton hit .289/.344/.386 in July and barely played once Casey was acquired.

Sean Casey hit .245/.286/.364 in August and September.

Bottom line is we don't know Shelton would have been worse.  It is speculative at best.  Casey really did very little for the Tigers in '06.

 

i've read shelton's posts here for years and can guarantee he would be worse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Casey posted a -0.6 WAR in a third of a season for the Tigers in 06.

His (lack of) performance may have cost them the division.

And it wasn't like Sean Casey was expected to be a good player had had an uncharacteristically bad two months.  He was at best an average player that had a bad two months.  He basically was Aubrey Huff in '06.

Casey was terrible.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Charles Liston said:

He could run though.  God, he could run like a deer.

Like a deer that's had its head mounted to a wall at your local watering hall.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about Nick to the Twins for Buxton?  We get a CF with range and they get a corner infielder with a good hit tool?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Buddha said:

How about Nick to the Twins for Buxton?  We get a CF with range and they get a corner infielder with a good hit tool?

I highly doubt the Twins go for that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Casimir said:

Like a deer that's had its head mounted to a wall at your local watering hall.

You know, my biggest disappointment in Dombrowski is that he was never able to force through a rule change that would have allowed Casey to use a wheelchair on the bases, if he reached first successfully.

I wonder how fast he is now, now that he is no longer a professional athlete and has had a chance to get out of shape.  Could he beat Victor around the bases?  I think he might, but if you asked me to pull a $20 bill out of my wallet to back it up...I'm not sure.  I might go with Victor...what, am I crazy?  I don't know.  I just don't know.  I think I'm going to go with "no bet".  But that means that I have no balls, and I hate that.  So, Casey or Victor?  Casey, even slower than he was when he was "in shape"?  Oh God.  OK, $20 on Casey.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

You know, my biggest disappointment in Dombrowski is that he was never able to force through a rule change that would have allowed Casey to use a wheelchair on the bases, if he reached first successfully.

I wonder how fast he is now, now that he is no longer a professional athlete and has had a chance to get out of shape.  Could he beat Victor around the bases?  I think he might, but if you asked me to pull a $20 bill out of my wallet to back it up...I'm not sure.  I might go with Victor...what, am I crazy?  I don't know.  I just don't know.  I think I'm going to go with "no bet".  But that means that I have no balls, and I hate that.  So, Casey or Victor?  Casey, even slower than he was when he was "in shape"?  Oh God.  OK, $20 on Casey.   

But has Victor ever been thrown out at first on a single to left field?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Victor actually has some speed once he gets moving. I think he easily beats Casey even when Casey was in playing shape. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Buddha said:

How about Nick to the Twins for Buxton?  We get a CF with range and they get a corner infielder with a good hit tool?

Done. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Appropos of nothing, I heard Buxton interviewed on Buster Olney's podcast earlier this year.  He is from Alabama and sounded exactly like Tom Hanks in Forrest Gump to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Yoda said:

Victor actually has some speed once he gets moving. I think he easily beats Casey even when Casey was in playing shape. 

Is this like being the tallest midget?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, irvink said:

Neil Walker traded to Brewers.

Mets really cleared out their vets on expiring contracts.

Welp, Kinsler isn't going there now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder who it was that claimed Kinsler.  My guess is Tampa to block New York, but it's just purely a guess.  Tampa could use Kinsler as an upgrade at 2B, but I suspect that they'd balk at his contract next season.  And he may have declined that trade anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×