roarintiger1

2017 Trade Deadline Thread

It's time folks.   Tell us what you think.

My own thoughts evolve around J.D. Martinez.   I wouldn't at all be surprised to see him going to the Red Sox.   Even though the Red Sox have a crowded outfield, they appear to be lacking in power numbers with the departure of David Ortiz.  Dombroski knows what he'll get with J.D.   It would be hard for them to give up any one of the three young starting outfielders, but you never know.   Thoughts?

Regarding the market for JD, something that bears watching is the Marlins and Loria's desire to decrease payroll to make the sale of his team more attractive. Rumors are starting to float that he may be finally motivated enough to move Stanton. Ozuna has been rumored to be on the block and even a few rumors attached to Christian Yellich.

Stanton has 3 yrs remaining at 25 per year then he has a player option as well as full no trade control.  With all options exercised he has a contract through 2027 valued at 295 million remaining. I realize it's unlikely he would be moved, but it's certainly not out of the question. That's a big chunk of money for a player who seems to miss a significant amount of time each year due to injury, yet there's no denying Stanton is an impact player equal to JD.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/rumor-buy-or-sell-would-the-marlins-trade-giancarlo-stanton/

http://fansided.com/2017/07/06/mlb-trade-rumors-marlins-scouting-yankees-cubs-red-sox-farm-systems/

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/06/taking-inventory-miami-marlins.html

More likely seems to be Ozuna, 26yr w/ 2 yrs arbitration remaining at 3.5m this year.

Yellich, 25yr signed through 2021 at about 11-12m a year.

We may be partial to JD, but by waiting this long to move him or longer these type of developments will impact his ultimate value.

Not quite deadline deal stuff, but if the Tigers want to blow it up next season, they could let Iglesias and Kinsler walk after this year.  Kinsler is due to make $12M with a $5M buyout and Iglesias is in an arbitration year ($4M this season).  That'd be a savings of at least $12M, but then you'd have to figure in who the replacements are (Machado and another infielder).

Sanchez is due $16M with a $5M buyout.

Upton could decide to opt out on his own accord.  Tack on the possibility of being stuck on a restructuring team and he might walk a bit quicker away from the contract.

Now back to the deadline stuff.  If the Tigers are looking at dealing for near major league ready talent, these are probably the positions to look for.  Christin Stewart is likely to take a corner OF spot at some point (defense be damned).  It'd be nice to go after a CF type option even with Jones and Mahtook under team control.  It can't hurt to have too much range on defense in that OF.  A lefty hitting CF type would seem to balance things out a bit.  Add in a lefty hitting middle infielder with the adequate defensive chops.  All teams could use pitching.

Now, as far as contention is concerned in 2018, you're probably going to assume some items and go out on a limb on a couple of other items.  Does Stewart's bat play well enough to hold down LF right away?  Will the starting pitching do what it should do (ie, Zimmermann performs to his contract, Norris matures, Fulmer stays healthy and continues on his career path, Verlander gets his act together)?  They may have to take a flier on short term contract to fill a hole at a position, maybe SP, maybe a 2B.

Maybe I need to get back to my coffee before I start believing that next season is the season.

1 hour ago, Casimir said:

Not quite deadline deal stuff, but if the Tigers want to blow it up next season, they could let Iglesias and Kinsler walk after this year.  Kinsler is due to make $12M with a $5M buyout and Iglesias is in an arbitration year ($4M this season).  That'd be a savings of at least $12M, but then you'd have to figure in who the replacements are (Machado and another infielder).

Sanchez is due $16M with a $5M buyout.

Upton could decide to opt out on his own accord.  Tack on the possibility of being stuck on a restructuring team and he might walk a bit quicker away from the contract.

Now back to the deadline stuff.  If the Tigers are looking at dealing for near major league ready talent, these are probably the positions to look for.  Christin Stewart is likely to take a corner OF spot at some point (defense be damned).  It'd be nice to go after a CF type option even with Jones and Mahtook under team control.  It can't hurt to have too much range on defense in that OF.  A lefty hitting CF type would seem to balance things out a bit.  Add in a lefty hitting middle infielder with the adequate defensive chops.  All teams could use pitching.

Now, as far as contention is concerned in 2018, you're probably going to assume some items and go out on a limb on a couple of other items.  Does Stewart's bat play well enough to hold down LF right away?  Will the starting pitching do what it should do (ie, Zimmermann performs to his contract, Norris matures, Fulmer stays healthy and continues on his career path, Verlander gets his act together)?  They may have to take a flier on short term contract to fill a hole at a position, maybe SP, maybe a 2B.

Maybe I need to get back to my coffee before I start believing that next season is the season.

That think about money, people need to remember. We do nothing and have $60 million come off the books. If Victor retires and Upton opts out its up to $110 million. Now that doesn't include arby players. But, can't imagine that's much more than $20 million total. The money issue will take care of itself, which is something national writers don't understand. We can trim payroll by doing nothing at all. We don't have to trade players like Verlander or whoever for pennies on the dollar just to cut payroll. They are only looking to move a verlander because of his possible return which could speed up the rebuild. 

(and I think 2020 is the season you start shooting for. Cleveland players will get epensive and leave. You punt next year. Let young guys take their lumps in 2018 and 2019 and think you can get back in contention in 2020 with a better farm system and better depth)

2 hours ago, rhino said:

Regarding the market for JD, something that bears watching is the Marlins and Loria's desire to decrease payroll to make the sale of his team more attractive. Rumors are starting to float that he may be finally motivated enough to move Stanton. Ozuna has been rumored to be on the block and even a few rumors attached to Christian Yellich.

Stanton has 3 yrs remaining at 25 per year then he has a player option as well as full no trade control.  With all options exercised he has a contract through 2027 valued at 295 million remaining. I realize it's unlikely he would be moved, but it's certainly not out of the question. That's a big chunk of money for a player who seems to miss a significant amount of time each year due to injury, yet there's no denying Stanton is an impact player equal to JD.

Stanton is gonna be near impossible to trade at the deadline. More of an offseason move.

Also can Tigers fans stop making schwarber the centerpiece of a deal with the Cubs. He really doesn't fit and hasn't shown a ton outside of the playoffs. 

Do we want him to catch? probably not. 

DH? Gonna have to move Miggy there. 

LF? He's not good and we have Stewart coming, so if you puts Schwarber out there where does Stewart play? Do you put both in the corners and have the worst outfield defense ever? 

Teach him to play first? 

1 hour ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Also can Tigers fans stop making schwarber the centerpiece of a deal with the Cubs. He really doesn't fit and hasn't shown a ton outside of the playoffs. 

LF? He's not good and we have Stewart coming, so if you puts Schwarber out there where does Stewart play? Do you put both in the corners and have the worst outfield defense ever? 

Teach him to play first? 

Castellanos is probably the 1Bdude if/when Cabrera moves to DH.

I think the Tigers need to focus on middle of field types.  CF, SS, 2B.  Add some athletes.  Some defense.  Some baserunning acumen.  The home OF begs for range.

1 minute ago, Casimir said:

Castellanos is probably the 1Bdude if/when Cabrera moves to DH.

I think the Tigers need to focus on middle of field types.  CF, SS, 2B.  Add some athletes.  Some defense.  Some baserunning acumen.  The home OF begs for range.

agreed. I was just venting about Scchwarber that I've seen in many places. That being said if someone offers you a super player I don't think you turn it down because of position. 

JV, JD, Kinsler, JWill, and Avila are the obvious must moves.  Upton might be moveable, but probably not.  If by some miracle you get an offer for Miguel, you take it. 

Basically everyone but Fulmer should be available. 

This team needs a complete rebuild.  They tried the whole retooling thing and it "shockingly" blew up in their face.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Teach him to play first? 

almora would be a better fit than schwarber.  cf with great range.  pair almora with cease and some lower minor league lottery tickets and you might have a decent deal for verlander.  jimenez aint in the deal, most likely.

valenti was on chicago radio yesterday saying the tigers would have to give money with verlander to get anything.  but valenti's wrong.  a lot.

26 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

agreed. I was just venting about Scchwarber that I've seen in many places. That being said if someone offers you a super player I don't think you turn it down because of position. 

I'm not sure Schwarber is a fit.  The lefty bat I see nice, but he's probably not a C, he's probably not a LF.  I guess if they decide to punt on 2018, they could use him at C and see how things go.  But I dont know if that's a good gamble.

Obviously if the talent in return is sufficient, a corner OF or 3B wouldn't be a bad trade commodity to acquire.  But I think they need to focus up the middle.  If they wind up with excess, they can move someone to a corner or to another team for a different piece.  But as it is now, there's nothing in the minors, so that excess is going to take quite a while to get to.

21 minutes ago, MDMAzing said:

JV, JD, Kinsler, JWill, and Avila are the obvious must moves.  Upton might be moveable, but probably not.  If by some miracle you get an offer for Miguel, you take it. 

Basically everyone but Fulmer should be available. 

This team needs a complete rebuild.  They tried the whole retooling thing and it "shockingly" blew up in their face.

Actually, the re-tooling got them the only player you think is worth keeping.  

19 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Actually, the re-tooling got them the only player you think is worth keeping.  

The retool also got them an even bigger payroll with more immovable contracts to go along with one of the worst records in baseball.  The Cespedes trade shouldnt of been part of a retool, it should of been part of a rebuild.  A rebuild that should of started years ago.

• Like 2

I think they will trade Avila, JD and J. Wilson and then try to win again next year.  It doesn't have to be all or nothing.  Total re-builds usually suck, so I hope they do it gradually.    

• Like 1

Glad this thread got started. With the posters here this will be the one place for the best info about the Tigers through the trade deadline.

Good stuff already. If the Marlins are trading Yelich I would love to get him. If a package of McCann, Burrows and Stewart could get him that would be great , No idea if it can. Maybe Norris instead of Burrows ? Then the idea of Verlander for Almora and pieces..maybe a good minor league third baseman. Then move Casty to first. That plus an outfield of Upton, Almora and Yelich means our defense has improved at FOUR positions and we have more speed on the bases. Resign Avila and he and Hicks can catch.

Anyways hope Avila is creative..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, socaltiger said:

Glad this thread got started. With the posters here this will be the one place for the best info about the Tigers through the trade deadline.

Good stuff already. If the Marlins are trading Yelich I would love to get him. If a package of McCann, Burrows and Stewart could get him that would be great , No idea if it can. Maybe Norris instead of Burrows ? Then the idea of Verlander for Almora and pieces..maybe a good minor league third baseman. Then move Casty to first. That plus an outfield of Upton, Almora and Yelich means our defense has improved at FOUR positions and we have more speed on the bases. Resign Avila and he and Hicks can catch.

Anyways hope Avila is creative..

I think thoughts of adding players like yelich -- by giving up two of our top three prospects and our catcher -- is the exact opposite of things we should want to do. 

• Like 2

Just now, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

That isn't enough for Yellich.

Probably and its not a move we should make. Add him just so we have to trade him in two years when we are still stuck in the mud, this time with absolute nothing in the farm compared to just a bad one. 

3 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

I think thoughts of adding players like yelich -- by giving up two of our top three prospects and our catcher -- is the exact opposite of things we should want to do. 

Your probably right but 3 for one when we know the one we are getting is a building block and we have depth and replacement for the other two might still work ?

2 minutes ago, socaltiger said:

Your probably right but 3 for one when we know the one we are getting is a building block and we have depth and replacement for the other two might still work ?

In a different time, Yellich would be fine to want. The goal now has to be to tear it down and get better for a couple years. It's been a nice 10 year run. We can have a couple bad years, it will be OK. The goal would be to trade for prospects/draft/develop four Yellichs instead of trading what we do have for one. 

4 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Probably and its not a move we should make. Add him just so we have to trade him in two years when we are still stuck in the mud, this time with absolute nothing in the farm compared to just a bad one. 

Yelich is siggned through 2022 I think including options...

15 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I think they will trade Avila, JD and J. Wilson and then try to win again next year.  It doesn't have to be all or nothing.  Total re-builds usually suck, so I hope they do it gradually.    

I cant see any scenario where this team is competitive next year so JV needs to go while there are teams still willing to give value for him.

Just now, socaltiger said:

Yelich is siggned through 2022 I think including options...

Yes. But we'll be a 75 win team with no help on the farm so trading him would be are only move to do such. 

1 minute ago, MDMAzing said:

I cant see any scenario where this team is competitive next year so JV needs to go while there are teams still willing to give value for him.

Verlander will still have value next year, maybe more if he is pitching well. If they can get stud prospects for him, then by all means do it now.  That goes for anyone.  I suspect they aren't going to get the kind of returns you are hoping for though.