Deleterious

Avery Bradley traded to Detroit

I am pretty indifferent to this trade.  I do not see Bradley as a huge upgrade over KCP.  He might be a slight upgrade.  His RPM was a little bit worse and his PER was a little bit better.  He is cheaper for 1 year so that is a bonus.  And while I am not a fan of Marcus Morris, he could have been used as an asset in another trade.  The big unknown of course is what it would have taken to sign KCP.  

The big positives are we finally made a significant change to the roster and we no longer have to watch Morris and Harris try to play together as our starting forwards.  

The analytics have never been kind to Bradley.

But I like the trade anyway-although I'm more in favor of a tear it down approach. So I was in favor of not offering a big money, long term deal to KCP.

Fair enough. But who the **** cares? lol

Yeah...not real bummed to have a guy that takes a little too much pride in his defense.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Hart said:

I am pretty indifferent to this trade.  I do not see Bradley as a huge upgrade over KCP.  He might be a slight upgrade.  His RPM was a little bit worse and his PER was a little bit better.  He is cheaper for 1 year so that is a bonus.  And while I am not a fan of Marcus Morris, he could have been used as an asset in another trade.  The big unknown of course is what it would have taken to sign KCP.  

The big positives are we finally made a significant change to the roster and we no longer have to watch Morris and Harris try to play together as our starting forwards.  

Reports were pistons offered 5/$80, which honestly, bullet dodged.  The flexibility gained is a win. 

• Like 1

You can't continue to pay max deals for players who do one thing fairly well, just because you don't have anything else.  I'm a little surprised they were able to get Bradley for Morris, but kudos to SVG.

10 hours ago, T&P_Fan said:

Reports were pistons offered 5/$80, which honestly, bullet dodged.  The flexibility gained is a win. 

the flexibility to either match a huge offer for bradley next year or let him go for the same reason you had to let kcp go this year?

45 minutes ago, Buddha said:

the flexibility to either match a huge offer for bradley next year or let him go for the same reason you had to let kcp go this year?

Yeah, there wasn't any real flexibility gained here.  Sure they dodged the luxury tax this year, but they mostly just kicked the can down the road.

wouldn't you rather match a max on Bradley then a max on KCP? Not flexibility, but certainly a preferable option I'd say. Even the age difference is no big deal. we max Bradley for 4 years his contract is over at 31. Basically we'd get him through his prime years.

9 minutes ago, DaBishop said:

wouldn't you rather match a max on Bradley then a max on KCP? Not flexibility, but certainly a preferable option I'd say. Even the age difference is no big deal. we max Bradley for 4 years his contract is over at 31. Basically we'd get him through his prime years.

I like Bradley, but I don't want to pay him $30M next year. 

Neither do I, honestly, but I'd rather pay him that then KCP 50 million over the next two years.

It will be I treating to see if ABis flipped at the deadline.  Probably depends on how Kennard looks. 

2 minutes ago, DaBishop said:

Neither do I, honestly, but I'd rather pay him that then KCP 50 million over the next two years.

but its the same issue you have now: you're capped out and stuck with a mediocre team.  there is no "financial flexibility" gained from losing kcp for nothing.

because the pistons have not been able to develop their own young players, they are stuck overpaying for very mediocre players.  leuer for $10 million.  boban for $7 million.  ish for $6 million.  meeks for $6 million.  even baynes for whatever he was making.

all of those were overpays.  if you have a second round pick you can pay a very small salary to for a couple years and that player can be productive then you dont need to spend big money on jon leuer.  if you drafted better players in round one on cheap contracts you dont have to overpay all the time for average guys.

****, if they read the market a year ago, they could have traded kcp for something before then.

and then the elephant in the room: drummond's contract.  

all of which prevent the pistons from having any "financial flexibility."  this is their team.  and they'll lose avery bradley next year too unless they want to attach a #1 pick to dump harris or reggie's salary.

they're screwed.  this is nba purgatory.

Also, I'm not so sure Avery will command a max deal next year. Supposedly there are going to be even fewer teams with any cap space next year. How many will need a SG? How many are going to be willing to spend it on Avery? That said, if he's not getting a max...he's an UFA so what reason would he possible have to stay in Detroit other than us offering him more than anyone else...which will mean another year where national pundits and Buddha can complain about SVG overpaying for players (unless he lets them walk in which case he gets railed for letting a player go for nothing)

4 minutes ago, DaBishop said:

Also, I'm not so sure Avery will command a max deal next year. Supposedly there are going to be even fewer teams with any cap space next year. How many will need a SG? How many are going to be willing to spend it on Avery? That said, if he's not getting a max...he's an UFA so what reason would he possible have to stay in Detroit other than us offering him more than anyone else...which will mean another year where national pundits and Buddha can complain about SVG overpaying for players (unless he lets them walk in which case he gets railed for letting a player go for nothing)

you can continue to be a complete homer and praise everything svg does simply because he's the gm of your favorite team, or you can take an objective look at where the pistons are in respect to the rest of the league.

and i like avery bradley.  and i like trading morris for bradley.  but i dont think it changes the pistons' position in the league.  what has given the pistons hope is that 3/4 of the east has decided to punt on next season, not because the pistons are up and coming.

but it could be worse, we could be the new york jets. :P

First of all...I'm a total homer. I prefer to think of it as, I like to see the positives over the negatives but, yeah...a homer.

That said, I don't praise everything he's done in hindsight but I do think that a great majority of his deals were the right moves at that time.

Sure, he could have let Andre walk...but no one, not a single executive in the league would have done so. That was as close to a no-brainer as there is. Now, I also agree that it sucks a year later and can't even argue that at the end of the day, it's Stans job to make the right decision, not the obvious decision. I also say it's one year in, and everythign that could have gone wrong last year did, so I'm willing to give him a one year pass...and really that's all we're talking about right now. one bad year after two pretty darn stellar years compared to the mgmt and coaching of the past 6 or so years before.

The overpaying...yeah, again...I don't know what's going on behind the scenes so, homer that I am, I believe the "in Detroit when you suck for 8 years, you need to overpay to bring guys in" I also think the hullabaloo about it is way overblown. maybe 1.5/yr too much for Leuer, maybe 2 too much for Boban (based on what they should have gotten according to some at the time...not what their value actually is), How is that really hamstringing us. People keep saying, it adds up, but no...not really. An extra 4 or 5 million doesn't really get us very far, doesn't make signing KCP to a max any better, and doesn't improve our ability to sign big time FA's...which let's be frank...is what this team needs to improve. Adding a slightly better back-up SG or PG isn't putting us over the top.

Getting Morris for a 2nd, Getting Jackson for a 2nd and garbage, getting Harris for expring deals (except to Del), getting Bradley and a 2nd for Morris...these were pretty fantastic trades in my opinion. Meeks was an injury, his 3 drafts have been underwhelming at best, but still incomplete, and his FA signings haven't amounted to too much.

I have hope this year we rebound to late 2015 levels when we were a good team. if we suck, then he has til the trade deadline to fix things or even homers like me will have to get off the SVG train. til then, I'm not going to discount everything an accomplished guy like Stan has done because he had a bad season.

Holy moly, if this post isn't a TL:DR then nothing is...and yes, it could be worse if you were a Jet fan...luckily for me, there is one team that it's worse to be a fan of....I think there's a forum on MotownSports about them.

31 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Also, the Lions will make the Super Bowl before the Jets. #Boban4MVP

neither team is allowed to even use the words Super and Bowl in the same sentence at this point. And besides, the Jets have already made and won the SuperBowl so your statement is immediately wrong.

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

but its the same issue you have now: you're capped out and stuck with a mediocre team.  there is no "financial flexibility" gained from losing kcp for nothing.

because the pistons have not been able to develop their own young players, they are stuck overpaying for very mediocre players.  leuer for $10 million.  boban for $7 million.  ish for $6 million.  meeks for $6 million.  even baynes for whatever he was making.

all of those were overpays.  if you have a second round pick you can pay a very small salary to for a couple years and that player can be productive then you dont need to spend big money on jon leuer.  if you drafted better players in round one on cheap contracts you dont have to overpay all the time for average guys.

****, if they read the market a year ago, they could have traded kcp for something before then.

all of which prevent the pistons from having any "financial flexibility."  this is their team.  and they'll lose avery bradley next year too unless they want to attach a #1 pick to dump harris or reggie's salary.

They are probably screwed. They bet on Reggie and AD and have so far lost. I think they'll run with that bet one more year before deciding whether or not to bail on AD.

Not extending KCP doesn't give them financial flexibility this year or next year but after that it certainly does. Especially if Gores wants to clean the slate and ditch SVG. In the meantime, it saves the owner a bit of money as well, which matters to the owner.

The bottom line to me, KCP's contract would have been the biggest overpay of them all, and not doing it keeps them safely under the luxury tax afaik. I think they could deal Bradley at the deadline as well. He'll get more of a chance to shine individually, and will probably be more coveted by playoff teams than Morris would have been.

2 hours ago, DaBishop said:

neither team is allowed to even use the words Super and Bowl in the same sentence at this point. And besides, the Jets have already made and won the SuperBowl so your statement is immediately wrong.

Yeah, the Jets won back in the day when players could show up drunk or severely hung over and dominate.

And I figured it was assumed I was both talking moving forward as well as tongue planted firmly in cheek.

I like this trade because it means we're not giving KCP a huge long term deal. As for the 'all Bradley does is hit spot up threes' and it's like uhh have you seen KCP play a basketball game before?

KCP made 35% of threes while attempting 5.8 per game, and 44% of 2s while attempting 6.5. Bradley made 39% of threes while attepmpting 5 and 50% of 2s while attempting 9.

I mean, I didn't watch the Celtics much, maybe they were mostly just layups or dunks or something, but the guy is attempting almost 3 more non three point shots a game.

I don't think this trade makes the Pistons a contender or anything, but it's a bullet dodged all the same. And they needed to make some changes.

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Boban is not very mediocre. #MVP

Yeah I was totally feeling Buddha's post until he called Boban mediocre, that's sacrilegious.

4 hours ago, Buddha said:

attaching that #1 pick to dump Drummond's salary, on the other hand......