Deleterious

Avery Bradley traded to Detroit

Trading for Morris was always about a flipping him later for a result like this trade.  

KCP was a good player for us, but as Del said last month, he could eventually be what Bradley is right now.  Bradley also gives SVG another guard that can handle/distribute, and that makes me think Ish is going to be dealt for value. 

If I'm Bradley I don't know what to make of this deal in regards to getting a bigger contract next year.  On one hand in theory he should get more shots here and an opportunity to put up better numbers but on the other hand if he stayed in Boston he would get more exposure and play for a better team which may lead to teams valuing him more. 

It's obvious KCP wanted a max deal and the Pistons did not want to go there. KCP shot 39 percent from the floor last season. 39!

• Like 1

KCP and Morris are very similar players to me. Inefficient offensive players and solid defenders, but certainly not all-defense caliber. KCP is better than Mook, but Mook's 5 million per year price tag makes him very valuable. 

Could KCP evolve into that? Sure. But would you bet a max deal on it? Or go out and get a better version of him for 1/3 of the cost and hardly give up anything to do it. 

Wow, this seems like a great trade. 2 years of Marcus for 1 of Bradley, but Bradley should help the offense more than KCP or Marcus. We are finally getting some shooters around Reggie and Andre. And this with Galloway means we actually have a solid 4 guard rotation, with cover if Reggie gets hurt or isn't back to 2015-16 form.

And of course this saves giving KCP a bad contract. Avoiding that was the #1 goal for me this off-season.

The value in giving KCP a max deal always seemed to be tied to the fact that they simply could do it and go over the cap, and less about him actually being worth a max deal. 

If KCP were a free agent and the Pistons had the cap space, I don't think he's a player that we would have been happy to sign. 

Bradley on the other hand seems like the type of player you would want. Hopefully they can get him signed beyond this season. Not sure about the rules for what he can be offered and when, or how his trade value would affected by signing him to an extension. 

4 minutes ago, Sydney_Fife said:

Could KCP evolve into that? Sure. But would you bet a max deal on it? Or go out and get a better version of him for 1/3 of the cost and hardly give up anything to do it. 

Nailed it. 

A max contract for KCP right here and right now is crazy town, and Bradley makes us better at guard. 

Trading Morris means sink or swim for Stan Jr, and I think that's a great motivator. 

1 minute ago, mickeyb105 said:

Nailed it. 

A max contract for KCP right here and right now is crazy town, and Bradley makes us better at guard. 

Trading Morris means sink or swim for Stan Jr, and I think that's a great motivator. 

This whole thing just screams KCP demanded a max contract and the Pistons weren't willing to do it. 

Did SVG become a little gun shy after watching Andre Drummond play last season? God another max deal to a player like that would've broke this organization in half lol.

Best thing about this trade and renouncing KCP is not being forced to pay so much for a player just because we had to. There are so few quality SG's out there and none of them hit UFA (until now) that getting one to replace KCP was near impossible, particularly at our cap level. To upgrade at SG, get a player that makes the team better NOW, and avoid having to overpay KCP just because we had to is a huge win for Detroit.

As for losing Mook, Morris has no business being in the starting line-up of a team that wants to compete for a high seed in the playoffs. He plays at best, just above average D, he's a black hole on offense and pretty terrible there. Our best line-up last year was with Leuer and Tobias at the 4 and 3, so this makes that happen and SJ becomes the primary back up at both positions. If we can upgrade at PF via trade (maybe downgrade at C in the process?) This team can be a whole lot better next year.

Just now, Sydney_Fife said:

This whole thing just screams KCP demanded a max contract and the Pistons weren't willing to do it. 

Did SVG become a little gun shy after watching Andre Drummond play last season? God another max deal to a player like that would've broke this organization in half lol.

Agreed. 

The team needed to get more efficient offensively and the moves made since the end of the season will get them get closer to where they should be. 

This team still needs to keep upgrading talent, and for the existing talent to reach potential, but I like it so far. 

13 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

Nailed it. 

stanley doesnt need motivation, he needs a jump shot.

• Like 1

Just now, Buddha said:

stanley doesnt need motivation, he needs a jump shot.

Motivation to get a jump shot works. 

So the starting lineup is:

reggie

bradley

tobias

luer

andre

and the second unit is

ish/galloway

galloway/kennard

SJ

ellenson

Boban

Is that right?

Just now, mickeyb105 said:

Motivation to get a jump shot works. 

motivation is no substitute for ability, and that is what he lacks.

and why is this motivation?  were handing him more minutes regardless of whether his jumper improves.

I think right now, SJ backs up both forward positions. SVG only has a 9 man rotation in his perfect world.

1 minute ago, Shelton said:

So the starting lineup is:

reggie

bradley

tobias

luer

andre

and the second unit is

ish/galloway

galloway/kennard

SJ

ellenson

Boban

Is that right?

Yes. I think it's very possible Ellenson/Kennard depending on where other guys play could find some minutes. If they wanted to run small they could play Kennard at the 3 and have him shoot. Ellenson looks more and more like a center to me, but I think Leuer will play a lot of 5 this season.

1 minute ago, Buddha said:

svgm has now lost two lottery picks for nothing.  two good players too.

They got Reggie Jackson with the cap space from Monroe. That was a good trade for the Pistons.

This is a bold, risky move. But a year of Bradley is better than KCP, and if KCP does not significantly improve he will never be worth the max deal we would've been forced into signing

Just now, Buddha said:

motivation is no substitute for ability, and that is what he lacks.

and why is this motivation?  were handing him more minutes regardless of whether his jumper improves.

Almost anyone can develop an outside shot. Manute Bol could shoot three's after a few years in the L. 

The motivation is to no screw up your chance at earning a solid post-rookie contract. 

Just now, mickeyb105 said:

Almost anyone can develop an outside shot. Manute Bol could shoot three's after a few years in the L. 

The motivation is to no screw up your chance at earning a solid post-rookie contract. 

if almost anyone can develop an outside shot how come more players dont?

i dont think its easy to become a good nba three point shooter simply because a few guys have been able to do it.

maybe he will?  i hope so because if not he was a real ****ty draft pick.

1 hour ago, Sydney_Fife said:

It was obvious to everyone who watched this team on a nightly basis that they needed a shakeup. 

Pretty much this. The Pistons couldn't run out the same team and expect different results. Chemistry is so important in basketball, and what they had wasnt working.

4 minutes ago, Sydney_Fife said:

They got Reggie Jackson with the cap space from Monroe. That was a good trade for the Pistons.

This is a bold, risky move. But a year of Bradley is better than KCP, and if KCP does not significantly improve he will never be worth the max deal we would've been forced into signing

so you traded morris and kcp for one year of avery bradley.  is that really a good deal?

Johnson will have a large role on the Pistons next year. He will be the backup 3, but he could also see minutes at the 2 again (yeah, I know) because we are so small at the guard positions.

Bradley plays big, though. And I have heard and seen good things from Galloway on defense. Ish surprised me last season too.