Sign in to follow this  
Sydney_Fife

Pistons sign Langston Galloway

2 hours ago, Sydney_Fife said:

I think you can say goodbye to one of their big salaries in that case. 

Drummond to Boston for some picks?

19 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Drummond to Boston for some picks?

again, why would boston blow their entire cap to get andre drummond?

andre drummond is the new lindsay hunter and terry mills for a superstar trade proposal.

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

538 projects him to be worth 130 mil over the next 5 years. Their starting C just signed with someone else and they were god awful at rebounding and if they strike out in free agency, they're going to end up over the cap from extensions anyways. I don't think he's a bad get for them at all. I wouldn't expect anything crazy in return, but you could get something like Crowder, Zeller(non guaranteed) and Boston's own first next year I bet. Crowder's tough to part with but they just drafted back to back SFs and they don't really have a SG to replace Bradley.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

538 projects him to be worth 130 mil over the next 5 years. Their starting C just signed with someone else and they were god awful at rebounding and if they strike out in free agency, they're going to end up over the cap from extensions anyways. I don't think he's a bad get for them at all. I wouldn't expect anything crazy in return, but you could get something like Crowder, Zeller(non guaranteed) and Boston's own first next year I bet. Crowder's tough to part with but they just drafted back to back SFs and they don't really have a SG to replace Bradley.

i doubt it.  crowder and zeller wont work because andre makes too much.  you'd have to add smart and i doubt boston deals him.

and they want heyward, they cant add another max guy and get heyward and have any flexibility left to trade for a real star.

again, 538 and per and all those stat sites that over-value rebound numbers over-value andre.  if a team is willing to overlook the laziness, the space cadet matador defense, the worst free throw shooting in history, and the general softness and focus on his ability to take up space and suck up soft rebounds while being a great pnr finisher, they might want him.

he's not without value, but max value?  not even close.

Just now, Buddha said:

i doubt it.  crowder and zeller wont work because andre makes too much.  you'd have to add smart and i doubt boston deals him.

and they want heyward, they cant add another max guy and get heyward and have any flexibility left to trade for a real star.

again, 538 and per and all those stat sites that over-value rebound numbers over-value andre.  if a team is willing to overlook the laziness, the space cadet matador defense, the worst free throw shooting in history, and the general softness and focus on his ability to take up space and suck up soft rebounds while being a great pnr finisher, they might want him.

he's not without value, but max value?  not even close.

They're under the cap and I meant only if they strike out in FA. They're of course going for Hayward and co first. I'm not saying they would for sure do it, but I don't think there are zero reasons that they would either.

i think svg rides into next season with this team and doesnt make any trades. 

and the odds just increased that they'll lose kcp.

As for Galloway, I'm cool with it. He can play a little D, can play some PG and he can shoot 3s. That's what I want from our 4th G. I didn't have a better plan with the MLE. I really hope there is a plan for KCP though, because losing him as a FA would be tough for me to stomach

5 hours ago, Buddha said:

I can dream, can't I?

I don't know what to make of Galloway.  The move by itself doesn't move the needle much for me.  Too many other things that need to be taken care for the offseason to be a success.

7 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Honestly, that was news to me. I would need to read up on it more.

I read up on it and this is what I came up with.  The Pistons indeed can not match a max offer for KCP, even though they have his full Bird rights.

The NBA has three salary cap numbers to worry about:

Salary Cap - $99.093M

Luxury Tax - $119.266M

Apron - $125.266M

There are two different Mid-Level Exceptions teams can use.  A normal MLE ($8.406M) and a taxpayer MLE ($5.192M).  The Apron determines which one you can use.  If using the MLE leaves you under the Apron, you can use the normal MLE.  If you go over after using the MLE, you have to use the taxpayer MLE.

If you use the normal MLE, which the Pistons used on Galloway, it triggers a hard cap of $125.266M.  A hard cap means no matter what, the Pistons salary total this year can not exceed the Apron amount of $125.266M.  No exceptions.  So even though the Pistons have full Bird rights on KCP, they can not exceed the Apron to sign him.  They can only offer him what they have available under the Apron.

If the Pistons had used the taxpayer MLE on Galloway, there would be a soft cap instead of the hard one and the Pistons would have all exceptions available to them still.  Meaning, they could have used KCP's Bird rights to match any and all offers.  

So what can they pay for KCP in his first year?

I'm assuming a flat $7M per year deal for Galloway, which it might not be, we don't know yet.  I'm assuming they renounce Baynes, Bullock, and Beno.  I'm assuming they cut Gbinije before his deal becomes guaranteed on July 15th.  

They can offer KCP $21,850,946.  A max deal for him starts at $24.7M.  So in theory, anyone offering him more than what the Pistons can pay, gets him.  But that isn't totally true since the Pistons could trade someone to drop salary and create some more space if needed.  But that would almost certainly require them to send out a draft pick to make it happen.  

Anyway, I'm not sure how important this is.  Philly is no longer a player for KCP.  Brooklyn doesn't appear to be that interested.  Those were the two team dangerous teams with cap space.  

But here is the problem.  If they offer all that money to KCP, they only have 13 players on the roster.  If someone gets hurt, you can usually just go use the veterans minimum and sign someone.  Not if you're hard capped like the Pistons.  You can't even do that.  Under no circumstances can you exceed the Apron value, no matter what.  

They sort of handcuffed themselves by doing this.  It's entirely possible it wont matter at all.  But if a few things fall the wrong way, they could be boxed into a corner.  

A team wanting KCP could front load his contract and not max him, just to make it tough on Detroit to sign him.  Something like this:

1 2 3 4 Total
$24,765,750 $23,527,463 $22,289,175 $21,050,888 $91,633,275

so they boxed themselves in just because they HAD to get langston galloway right now?

that seems really really really dumb.

41 minutes ago, Buddha said:

so they boxed themselves in just because they HAD to get langston galloway right now?

that seems really really really dumb.

but they also are surely aware of the scenario

20 hours ago, Sydney_Fife said:

Backup SG and third PG. Allows Kennard to head to Grand Rapids. 

Galloway can shoot it from distance a little bit. Probably a bad defender. 

I am guessing Kennard will not be in GR this year.

27 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

Maybe, maybe not.

Houston didn't know they couldn't sign Nene to the deal they offered him.

23 minutes ago, T&P_Fan said:

I guess I am the only one ok with KCP going elsewhere. 

as usual.

People are suggesting they will give him the minimum they can this year.  So his deal probably looks like this:

1 2 3 Total
$6,666,667 $7,000,000 $7,333,334 $21,000,001

32 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

you would think.  however, having been a part of many bureaucratic decision processes, assuming everyone is fully informed of everything is often a mistake.

it is possible that they screwed up.

Just now, Buddha said:

you would think.  however, having been a part of many bureaucratic decision processes, assuming everyone is fully informed of everything is often a mistake.

it is possible that they screwed up.

I'm not so sure that's true, but either way we shall see. I doubt KCP walks