T&P_Fan

2017-2018 NHL Discussion Thread

Last night's 6-0 blanking by the Leafs in Montreal may have been the Habs' biggest humiliation since the Wings knocked out Patrick Roy in his last game for the Habs. Serves them right, after delaying the game 20 minutes for another dumb ceremony. 10 minute ovation for Rocket Richard 20 years when closing the Forum was a great moment. But their ceremonies have long since jumped the shark. Really, there was a need to honor Rod Gilbert and Ray Bourque last night in a Rangers jersey and Bruins jersey respectively?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Last night's 6-0 blanking by the Leafs in Montreal may have been the Habs' biggest humiliation since the Wings knocked out Patrick Roy in his last game for the Habs. Serves them right, after delaying the game 20 minutes for another dumb ceremony. 10 minute ovation for Rocket Richard 20 years when closing the Forum was a great moment. But their ceremonies have long since jumped the shark. Really, there was a need to honor Rod Gilbert and Ray Bourque last night in a Rangers jersey and Bruins jersey respectively?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I did think that ceremony was weird. Have getting what they deserved.  Without Price they can't compete.  

Was nice to see Matthews get two goals after missing 4 straight games.  Leafs have won 6 straight. 

Leafs have been completely robbed by Mike Babcock.  He makes jim caldwell look like bill belichick.  What a rotten hockey coach.  

Night after night, same lineup, same strategy, same loss.  He is the worst man to coach the leafs since I started watching in 93.  

Tonight, leafs up 1, 90 secs to go. Kadri loses 3 straight draws in about 20 secs.  Leafs can't clear of course. They get a 4th whistle. Think Babcock woud change lines and see if someone else can get the job done?   Nope, leaves them out there, lose the faceoff, and blues tie the game. Then of course the leafs lose in OT. 

**** Babcock, truly a rotten professional coach.  

On 1/16/2018 at 6:58 PM, T&P_Fan said:

Leafs have been completely robbed by Mike Babcock.  He makes jim caldwell look like bill belichick.  What a rotten hockey coach.  

I don't know,  I wouldn't be that fussed if I were you. Leafs have the  luxury of more or less being locked into the 3rd playoff spot behind Tampa and Boston but well ahead of the 5 dumpy teams in the division. So might as well experiment with different styles and setups down the stretch.

On 1/17/2018 at 5:46 AM, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

And while unexpected, doesn't seem to be a huge fluke. Doesn't mean that they'll be this good again next year - Karlsson? Marchessault? - but no reason to think they'll collapse down the stretch.

18 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Most of the other successful post-lockout teams share a common thread: Their top skaters (in terms of goals versus threshold, Tom Awad’s all-in-one metric for estimating a player’s value over a replacement-level scrub at the same position3) all played together for long stretches.

Is that really important?  Why is Jagr-Gaborik-St.Louis worse for a franchise's Stanley Cup chances than if Gaborik had been the leading scorer throughout that period.

Not sure I understand the question exactly, but I would imaging having a core of good players together for a long time is beneficial given the high level of random variation in the post-season, so a team gets a lot of shots at winning it all.

Why oh why are the NHL playoffs constructed the way they are?  The format is contrived and not straight forward for the occasional observer.  

In the east, the top 3 teams by points and points per game are TB, Boston and Toronto.  Yet Boston and Toronto are on a collision course for the first round of the playoffs.  2nd and 3rd best team in the conference playing in the first round is ridiculous.   And when one of the win, their prize?   The best team in the conference in the 2nd round. 

Only a Gary betteman led NHL could come up with this wholly rotten playoff format.  It needs to go immediately.   

The Las Vegas Knights have clinched a playoff spot and with 103 points in their 1st season have equalled the Toronto Maple Leafs' highest-ever points total 

Accountant Scott Foster forced into action as emergency backup for the Blackhawks last night after a 3rd period injury to the 2nd stringer. Played 14 minutes and stopped all 7 shots in a 6-2 win.

Rocked by the news of an accident involving a semi and a bus carrying a junior hockey team in Saskatchewan. 28 on board the bus - 14 dead, 14 injured. Can you imagine the parents right now hearing the news? 50/50 chance your child has died.

http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local-news/humboldt-broncos-bus-involved-in-highway-crash

3 hours ago, VegasTiger said:

I understand all my Michigan friends not being on board. But, DAMN!!! Go KNIGHTS

It's a great story. I think a lot of people expected them to sag in the playoffs after a surprisingly good regular season, and instead they're 5-0 so far pending the result of tonight's 2OT game. Yay Gerard Gallant.

I think it's safe to say this is the unlikely Stanley Cup finalist ever, I don't think any team is close, not even the '96 Panthers. Good for Vegas and their long-suffering fans! I'll cheer for them if it's versus Tampa, against them if it's Washington.

The Vegas Golden Knights have more Stanley Cup Finals appearances than the Toronto Maple Leafs since the 1967 expansion. 

I hope Ovie finally gets his Cup against Las Vegas. For one, I think the guy is a great player and I would like to see him win a Cup. Two, I don't want Bettman to be validated by putting a team in Las Vegas over Quebec, Hamilton, Seattle, or Milwaukee. I feel a Stanley Cup victory in year one by the Golden Knights will validate Bettman's (otherwise disastrous) southern strategy in the NHL.