Sign in to follow this  
T&P_Fan

2017-2018 NHL Discussion Thread

The draft is over and Free Agency will be under way in less than a week.   Probably time to move on to next season.  Too early to make any predictions, need to wait til mid July or so for that.

I expect the Leafs to get better and finish in the top 3 of the their division, hopefully they make some solid free agent additions.  I don't want to see them hand out any ridiculous contracts, stick to the process.

Things I will be watching for next season in no particular order:

-How does Edmonton respond the pressure that will be on them to be a top tier team

-Does anyone upsurp the Penguins after back to back cups

-5 of the 7 Canadian teams made the playoffs, will they all be strong again or will some regress (see Ottawa)

-Will Las Vegas in April look like the game is being played with a tennis ball rather than a puck

-How do Matthews and Laine respond in their sophmore season

What is everyone else paying attention to across the league?  I saw they were thinking about altering the challenge rule, where if they get the challenge wrong, the team will get a penalty, not sure how I feel about that.

Lastly, Leafs play in Vegas for the first time on New Years Eve, might have to make a trip to Vegas...

I'm going to have to pay attention to my liver health while watching the Red Wings that's for sure.

Really the only interesting things to me for this Wings season are:

Can they get a decent return for Green/Sheahan expiring contracts?

Will either goalie actually be a solid starter for a full season?

Any young guys play significant minutes this season?  Do they look like they are a part of the future?

How good are their chances of drafting Rasmus Dahlin in the next draft?

With more restrooms at the LCA and shorter lineups as a result, what excuse can one think of to stay in the concourse and avoid going back to one's seats to watch the lousy on-ice product?

Maple Leafs sign McElhinney and Sparks to cheap 2 year deals (850K and 650k/avg) to take care of the backup position.  Smart move by the leafs to not tie too much money up in the goalie position.  Both can be sent down with no cost to the team if they need to move in another direction. 

Need to go make some moves on D though.  They are letting Hunwick walk, which is a great news, he wasn't very good last season and his departure will be a plus. 

Leafs sign Patrick Marleau to 3 year deal. Got a left winger that can finish for Matthews.  

Carey Price signs an extension with the Habs. 8 years @ $10.5mm per. Price is nuts. What a dumb contract to give a goalie. Did the Habs learn nothing from observing the Luongo situation in Vancouver?

14 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Carey Price signs an extension with the Habs. 8 years @ $10.5mm per. Price is nuts. What a dumb contract to give a goalie. Did the Habs learn nothing from observing the Luongo situation in Vancouver?

That Holland loyalty blind spot, pay them for past performance and make sure they stay with the team regardless of how the contract will look in a few years.

Leafs start off as expected.  Score 7 goals and dominate the Jets on the road.  Killed 8 penalties to boot. Matthews with 3 points while barely playing. 

The leafs will be tough to outscore this year, goal scorers everywhere.  Matthews will be in running for MVP.  

9 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Leafs can score. 
Defense porous.

Exciting team.
Results? We'll see.

Easier to learn to be better defensively then to learn to score.  Leafs should win the Atlantic division.

They get really loose when they get a lead of more than 2.  I thought this tweet was rather funny, it was before the rangers game.

nailed it. 

5 hours ago, T&P_Fan said:

Oh, and how about ovechkin with back to back hat tricks?  Dang. 

Which led to Carey Price getting pulled.

This Leafs-Hawks game is the best early season game I can remember seeing. Even though I've only watched the past 10 minutes. 3-3 heading to OT.

18 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

This Leafs-Hawks game is the best early season game I can remember seeing. Even though I've only watched the past 10 minutes. 3-3 heading to OT.

That was a heck of a hockey game. I thought the officiating was a bit heavy handed, both ways, but fantastic hockey throughout. 

Leafa dominated the blackhawks, but still needed to come from 2 down with less than 10 to play. Big win for the young leafs.  Matthews winner was ridiculous, that shot he has isn't fair. 

I think marner has just as good of hands as Matthews, if not better, but Matthews release is in a league of its own. Top of the class. 

Leafs remind me of the Wings around, say, 1993. Extremely entertaining. They've timed it well - the rest of the Atlantic is a weak division filled with a bunch of flawed teams.

So Matthews might be better than expected.  What a show he put on Saturday night in Montreal.  That first goal was amazing, and then another OT winner.  He might already be the best player in the league.  Babcock is still limiting his ice time, no PK time yet. 

I loved when Sundin and Mogilny killed penalties together, so dangerous.  Would like to see Matthews and Marner kill.

Leafs Wings on Wednesday.  Looking forward to that one.  

Leafs go into Washington tonight and win 2-0.  Was supposed to be a high scoring game.  Kind of tame considering the two teams, and one of the goals was an empty netter.  

Leafs playing real well through 6 games.  Looking forward to the wings game tomorrow.  Wings will get the Leafs back-up goalie.  

I see Kucherov scored again tonight too.  That guy is good.  Edmonton down 2-0 against the canes.  They have gotten off to a slow start. 

2 hours ago, T&P_Fan said:

Leafs playing real well through 6 games.  Looking forward to the wings game tomorrow.  Wings will get the Leafs back-up goalie.  

The final score tomorrow will be the same as Toronto's record after tonight: 5-1 Leafs.

Small sample size and all, but how worried should be fans of Montreal, NYR and Edmonton? 

20 hours ago, lordstanley said:

The final score tomorrow will be the same as Toronto's record after tonight: 5-1 Leafs.

Small sample size and all, but how worried should be fans of Montreal, NYR and Edmonton? 

Edmonton has looked awful to start the year.  Poor starts have been their downfall.  Defensively they are a mess.  They still have McDavid though.   Montreal...who's gonna score for them?  If Carey price isn't a literal brick wall they got no shot. 

NYR, I think they rebound.  

Other bad starts: Buffalo, new coach and new Eichel contract look awful to start.  Arizona, they were optimistic with their young crew, still no wins