AlaskanTigersFan

What the fu#$^%#$ is Avila waiting for?

128 posts in this topic

Sell them all... now.

Alex Avila and JD could bring a blue chipper and an A-/B+ player each.

Kinsler could bring us a blue chip prospect.

Miggy could bring 2 blue chip prospects but I'd settle for 1 and 2-3 B+/B prospects.

Alex and Justin Wilson could get us a B+ prospect each.

Iglesiad could get us a B+ prospect.

Its time. Each day he thinks this team can get in the playoffs he's even more dilusional. He shoulda had this fire sale LAST YEAR. It is like having Matt Millen but the Tigers version of him. V-mart woulda been nice to off load this off-season but we waited to long on him. Same for K-rod. That alone screwed us out of 2-3 decent prospects. 

HURRY UP AVILA AND START BEFORE EVERY OTHER TEAM IN THE LEAGUE TRADES THEIR PLAYERS FILLING ALL THE HOLES OUR PLAYERS COULD FILL ON OTHER TEAMS!!!!. Ok rant over. Bedtime now.

24 minutes ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

Sell them all... now.

Miggy could bring 2 blue chip prospects but I'd settle for 1 and 2-3 B+/B prospects.

Its time. Each day he thinks this team can get in the playoffs he's even more dilusional. He shoulda had this fire sale LAST YEAR. It is like having Matt Millen but the Tigers version of him. V-mart woulda been nice to off load this off-season but we waited to long on him. Same for K-rod. That alone screwed us out of 2-3 decent prospects. 

HURRY UP AVILA AND START BEFORE EVERY OTHER TEAM IN THE LEAGUE TRADES THEIR PLAYERS FILLING ALL THE HOLES OUR PLAYERS COULD FILL ON OTHER TEAMS!!!!. Ok rant over. Bedtime now.

The other teams have to agree to the trades and it isn't necessarily easy to make early deals.  Some teams don't know if they are buyers yet.  Others want to wait until near the deadline before they determine their biggest needs.  

2 people like this

Of course. However, you cant tell me the Tigers cant offload JD and Alex Avila now for a boatload..... the rest would take some time but the 2 biggest could get done now....

I just don't see how trading Miggy brings a haul of prospects.  With his injuries and contract,  his trade value is low.

Miggy is untradeable, not only because of his contract and because of his performance but because there really isn't much of a market for a 1B/DH type anyway.  Virtually every team that would be buyers is set there.

I'm also sure that Avila is working the phones right now but he probably doesn't want to give away JD, for all we know the market could be luke warm right now, particularly for offensive players.  

I feel that our hope to get any real prospects may lie in Verlander's hands, if he puts together a dominant month and shows that the first couple months were a fluke I think there will be a real market for him.  He was one of the 5 best pitchers in baseball last year and if he does put together another 4 or 5 starts like last night he can show that his stuff isn't getting any worse too.   Yes his contract is costly but when you factor in the escalating salaries its below what you would expect to pay for a top 5 pitcher.  

8 hours ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

Sell them all... now.

I think what this means is, sell early, sell often.

2 people like this

15 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

I just don't see how trading Miggy brings a haul of prospects.  With his injuries and contract,  his trade value is low.

Of course there is some price for everything, but yeah - if you picked up half his contract, you could probably move him and get nothing back. If you want a return you will have to pick up more than half.

I guess this is the new buy or sell thread, or is it the new is it over thread? No matter. 

I think the team needs to be careful with ideas of a fire sale. JD, upton, wilson, and Avila could all be traded without much issue. They are replaceable via free agency this offseason. 

But if we are considering trading JV, that is much harder to replace. 

I worry about what will happen with Cabrera if he is consigned to playing for a club in a full on rebuild. 

I would be making moves that puts them in a position to contend in 2018. Trade the guys will be gone after this season. Keep the guys that are under contract. Spend in the offseason to address needs. 

Tigers playoff odds are down to 8% at this point. They were up near 25% earlier in June. It was in the high teens prior to this losing streak. 

It's definitely time to see what JD can bring back in a trade. Perhaps there is an interested team out there that wants to take care of business early. Avila could try to sell it as the other team avoiding a bidding war a month from now once more buyers emerge. 

JD, JUp and Kinsler....keep the rest.  Those 3 should give you a nice hall, but you have to wait until the time is right.  It is not right.

Here's my thought: If selling everyone would make the team a contender again quickly, I'd say go for it, however, given our abysmal farm system and lack of young talent, I'd consider this unlikely.

So while they should absolutely trade anyone they can't re-sign or someone like Kinsler who is just nearing the end of his career, I'd still be pretty sad about losing guys like Cabrera or Verlander. Simply put, the team is probably going to suck for a few years, but at least having a couple of hall of fame team legends around will make it somewhat less miserable to watch.

And that's all we can hope for at this point.

23 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

JD, JUp and Kinsler....keep the rest.  Those 3 should give you a nice hall, but you have to wait until the time is right.  It is not right.

OK, let's look at the market for Ian.

No: Yankees, Boston, Balt, Cleveland, Minn, Houston, Wash, Cubs, Rockies

Maybe: Tampa, KC?, Milwaukee?, Dodgers, Arizona?

Not exactly a white-hot market where you can get a "nice hall".

Not very many of these trades happen in June.  Just the way baseball works.  Execs are tied up with the draft, J2, getting guys signed.  Scouts are just now ramping up minor league coverage shifting from the draft. It takes two teams to tango.

The Tigers were able to get some damn good talent for expiring free agents two years ago after waiting til the deadline.  There is no harm in being patient and not rushing this.

1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, Tigertown Rats said:

Grumpfart.

The other issue is that Kinsler has trade restrictions that have to be worked around.  So that potentially further limits the potential suitors.

1 person likes this

IIRC, it was Ian's request to be offered an extension from the receiving team to remove the no trade restriction that gummed up the works. Maybe, just to get off the sinking ship he might be willing to back off that.

This is a nice hall. 

Nice_Hotel_Negresco_hall_central.jpg

1 person likes this

Nice area.

2 people like this

4 minutes ago, rhino said:

IIRC, it was Ian's request to be offered an extension from the receiving team to remove the no trade restriction that gummed up the works. Maybe, just to get off the sinking ship he might be willing to back off that.

Yes, his perspective may have changed a bit since then.  However, it is another obstacle to moving him.  I would still say that finding a team needing a 2B is probably the bigger issue, but not the only issue.

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

I guess this is the new buy or sell thread, or is it the new is it over thread? No matter. 

I think the team needs to be careful with ideas of a fire sale. JD, upton, wilson, and Avila could all be traded without much issue. They are replaceable via free agency this offseason. 

But if we are considering trading JV, that is much harder to replace. 

I worry about what will happen with Cabrera if he is consigned to playing for a club in a full on rebuild. 

I would be making moves that puts them in a position to contend in 2018. Trade the guys will be gone after this season. Keep the guys that are under contract. Spend in the offseason to address needs. 

This is what I hope too.  Get young talent and try to contend at the same time.  It doesn't have to be all or nothing.  

15 minutes ago, Tigertown Rats said:

Did you miss the rest of my post where I mention 2 other names and included them all in the nice hall comment?

40 minutes ago, pyrotigers said:

Here's my thought: If selling everyone would make the team a contender again quickly, I'd say go for it, however, given our abysmal farm system and lack of young talent, I'd consider this unlikely.

So while they should absolutely trade anyone they can't re-sign or someone like Kinsler who is just nearing the end of his career, I'd still be pretty sad about losing guys like Cabrera or Verlander. Simply put, the team is probably going to suck for a few years, but at least having a couple of hall of fame team legends around will make it somewhat less miserable to watch.

And that's all we can hope for at this point.

Cabrera and Verlander will only be fun to watch if they do better than this year.  JD and Avila have been more fun to watch this year which is why they are marketable.  

I will always wonder if JV could pull off a good John Smoltz and be a closer. It would be very interesting.

24 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

Did you miss the rest of my post where I mention 2 other names and included them all in the nice hall comment?

No, I didn't miss it. I happen to agree that JD and Upton are marketable and potentially valuable commodities in a trade. I was only disputing Ian's inclusion in that group, since I don't actually see how he would bring much in return. I would be happy to be wrong on that though.

My internal date is end of day July 2.  If they are showing no signs of getting back into this please begin aggressive rebuild.

Their original plan was to decide to buy or sell at the all-star break. Not only is that a convenient time, but they play Cleveland 6 of the last 9 games before the break.

I'm sure with this losing streak they'll be prepping for a sell a little more aggressively. Touching base with teams that might buy, scouting prospects of teams that might be interested, etc.

Here's a question for people, would you be okay in trading JD in-division (to Cleveland) to get the best return? (The answer is yes).