Motor City Sonics

Brad Ausmus - Are his days numbered?

194 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, rhino said:

To the bold, Pelfry has pitched better for Chicago then he did for us, but because he got better after we cut him does not give points for the signing to Avila. In fact it raises the question, why or what is it about Detroit that didn't allow him to pitch better for us? Was he about to turn the corner and our coaching staff missed it? Did he misplay the whole deal by hanging onto Sanchez instead of getting him to AAA sooner? By giving Boyd extended rope then sending him to the minors anyhow?

The whole Pelry signing that had other GM's scratching their head at the contract onset all the way through to Pelfry performing better for Chicago reflects bad on Avila and our staff.

I knew this response was coming. I'm referring to the decision he made when he signed him. He believed that pelfrey could be an innings eating back end starter for a couple years. That didn't work out last year, and everyone assumed he was toast. But he is showing that he's not completely dead, so in a way he was right. 

His struggles this spring and no room in the rotation made it an easy call to dump him. 

These are two different issues. 

9 minutes ago, rhino said:

Did Avila misplay the whole deal by hanging onto Sanchez

This is a pretty solid probability. One starter had to go and they weren't willing to pull the plug on Anibal. Heck, they still aren't.

14 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

This is a pretty solid probability. One starter had to go and they weren't willing to pull the plug on Anibal. Heck, they still aren't.

It's possible with the benefit of hindsight that it was a mistake to let go of pelfrey and retain Sanchez. But who knows.  Had pelfrey been kept instead, he's probably pitching out of the bullpen to start. Would he have accepted a demotion to Toledo like anibal to get back into starter shape? Maybe he would have been a better pen arm. 

Regardless, at the end of spring, I think most everyone agreed that if you were only going to keep one of them, that anibal was the one to keep. 

I don't fault Avila for cutting pelfrey. It was the right move then. And if Boyd comes back up soon and pitches well, it will still have been the right move. 

My comment about pelfrey was simply directed to the logic behind the signing, and it turns out that maybe pelfrey is good enough to have justified the deal. Recall at the time that it was unclear how well Fulmer and Norris and Boyd would pitch last year. The rotation started off as Verlander Zimmermann Sanchez Greene and pelfrey. Norris was hurt. Boyd was nothing special. Fulmer wasn't even in the mix. We got pretty lucky that Fulmer became rookie of the year and Boyd took a step forward. 

If Boyd pitched like buck farmer, we very well could have needed mike pelfrey in the 2017 rotation. 

On the other hand, Mike Pelfrey sucks, and never having to see him in a Tigers uniform again is one of the only blessings of this miserable 2017 season

1 person likes this

29 minutes ago, pyrotigers said:

On the other hand, Mike Pelfrey sucks, and never having to see him in a Tigers uniform again is one of the only blessings of this miserable 2017 season

....and that really is the bottom line.

55 minutes ago, pyrotigers said:

::Tigers immediately trade for mike pelfrey::

5 hours ago, Casimir said:

I would consider the team president to be part of the front office.

Something has to change with the farm system first and foremost.  Maybe Avila hasn't had enough time to do that in his current position, and that's a fair debate.  But at the same time he was part of the part office that has the minor league system in the mess that it is.

Given Avila's longevity on upper mgt you're right that he's more responsible for the current state of everything than any other hired person in the org.

I also agree with Shelton that the best way to move forward is to hire a new President, the same way DD was brought in.

29 minutes ago, Shelton said:

If we trade for pelfry at the trade deadline, do we have to pick up his contract?  xD

4 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

Given Avila's longevity on upper mgt you're right that he's more responsible for the current state of everything than any other hired person in the org.

I also agree with Shelton that the best way to move forward is to hire a new President, the same way DD was brought in.

You could arguably blame chadd more than Avila for the current state of the system. 

I guess it's hard to say exactly what an assistant GM does. Is he just another voice in the room? Is he a glorified scout? 

Without knowing the specifics of what went into each of the decisions that got us to this point, I just don't see how he can be blamed too much. Even if something was his idea, DD approved of it. 

I think I will just blame moves under DD on DD, and moves made under Avila on Avila. 

So I guess wasting 18 million on Lowe and pelfrey and krod this year can be on him. We are going to be about 20 million over the tax, and it could cost us in the qualifying offer game. 

Sorry, I meant current org members....DD carries as much blame as anyone for the poor development + drafting, but Avilas the top dog left from that team

It seems likely to me that AA was very influential in terms of player development under DD...the responsibility isn't mutually exclusive.

3 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

Sorry, I meant current org members....DD carries as much blame as anyone for the poor development + drafting, but Avilas the top dog left from that team

It seems likely to me that AA was very influential in terms of player development.

I know what you meant. That's why I mentioned chadd. He was supposedly in charge of the drafts to some extent. So the system sucking could have more to do with him than the assistant GM who oversaw development of ****ty players.  

Just now, Shelton said:

I know what you meant. That's why I mentioned chadd. He was supposedly in charge of the drafts to some extent. So the system sucking could have more to do with him than the assistant GM who oversaw development of ****ty players.  

No question

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

JD Martinez and Alex Avila for Mike Pelfrey, Derek Holland, and Avilsail Garcia

I think titles are meaningless.  DD was hired here as President and CEO because that was probably what he wanted and Ilitch needed a strong baseball guy as well as a good representative for the rest of the league.  The Tigers organization was weak on all fronts, not just the baseball operations.   He took on the GM role because he still likes that part of the job.  How much he was involved in the business side of the organization... who knows.  Did he care who the food vendor was?  The TV contracts (aside from generating revenue so he could spend)?  In Boston he only has baseball operations in his title because Boston already has key guys there for that.

Tom Wilson could be the guy take over in that CEO role for the Tigers.  

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, Oblong said:

I think titles are meaningless.  DD was hired here as President and CEO because that was probably what he wanted and Ilitch needed a strong baseball guy as well as a good representative for the rest of the league.  The Tigers organization was weak on all fronts, not just the baseball operations.   He took on the GM role because he still likes that part of the job.  How much he was involved in the business side of the organization... who knows.  Did he care who the food vendor was?  The TV contracts (aside from generating revenue so he could spend)?  In Boston he only has baseball operations in his title because Boston already has key guys there for that.

Yup, this for that level of the front office.

I will say that from the non baseball side the Tiger operations are going well.  CUstomer Service is great.  The thing they came up with regarding digital passes is fantastic.  So whether they need a new President or not... it's just semantics.  They need a new head of baseball operations.   Whether that person gets the title of President, CEO, or Vice President.... whatever.  The guy solely responsible for baseball decisions who reports to Chris Ilitch... that's what is required.

Dombrowski was in charge of everything.  Baseball and non baseball.  For the Tigers non baseball seems to be going ok still.

18 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Dombrowski was in charge of everything.  Baseball and non baseball.  For the Tigers non baseball seems to be going ok still.

.............until people stop showing up, which is the phase we are entering now. 

The entire team's days are numbered.  We had a good 10+ year run, but times are about to get lean for a while.  Hopefully Avila can draft effectively, and player development can step up their game to keep the lean times from lasting a long time.

All of our days are numbered

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Oblong said:

Titles aren't meaningless to Al Avila.

If ennui, frustration and/or incompetence in the front office is the problem—and none of us can know whether it is, but if it is—then this franchise is doomed until the Ilitchs sell, because that feeling flows right from the top.

The winter of our discontent will be this winter.

meaning that changes are coming this offseason.

1 person likes this

I don't think it's deep seeded.... I think David Chadd and Avila don't know what the **** they are doing in the top spots now.

That's not to say the pieces beneath them can't work.   What happened when they hired Chris Long and got the guy from Apple?  I thought they were changing things.  Maybe that's worked in the lower levels

51 minutes ago, chasfh said:

If ennui, frustration and/or incompetence in the front office is the problem—and none of us can know whether it is, but if it is—then this franchise is doomed until the Ilitchs sell, because that feeling flows right from the top.

Yep.  Chris Ilitch needs to make his mark and shake this thing up.  The FO has done some things right but they are failing in the main.

You can't do anything right now when there is so much business to take care of over the next month. The most you could do is sit down with Avila and talk about his plan going forward. You know he wants to make moves to get younger and cheaper. You know he was shopping the veterans in the offseason. You know he will be shopping then this month. 

Once the deadline has passed, then maybe you consider a change. It's not an easy decision to make. How do you judge a GM when you are just some guy with money? Objectively, making the trades is the right call. How can judge if he got enough or if he got the right guys when you aren't a baseball person?

That's why I wouldn't be surprised to see a new president of baseball operations hired, with an expectation that he would make decisions regarding who to keep. Maybe this guy thinks Avila's moves were good and allows him to stay on GM. If Avila doesn't like reporting to a baseball guy above him, maybe he leaves. 

There are so many people involved in a front office, that it really seems like you have to have someone with experience in place before you start replacing people. You could fire DD, because you had Avila in place that knew the org up and down. But that was only two years ago. How much does chadd know, because he would be the guy taking over in the interim after firing Avila. 

1 person likes this