Motor City Sonics

Brad Ausmus - Are his days numbered?

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Maybe firing the manager wakes them up.   Still in striking distance of Wild Card, won't be much longer.    

Yes, MLB players are always half asleep and have no idea what's going on until a manager is fired. Stupid rich athletes aren't even trying. 

12 minutes ago, Yoda said:

Yes, MLB players are always half asleep and have no idea what's going on until a manager is fired. Stupid rich athletes aren't even trying. 

Yeah - pretty much it's the opposite. In baseball more often the players burn themselves out with their own frustration. The baseball manager's job is almost more pulling them away to get them to relax so they can play. The opposite of say Hockey - where it's a matter of motivating the sheer will to take the pain and make one more 180 ft skate at the end of a shift to run down a breakaway. That kind of thing has almost no role in baseball. 

A manager can certainly still be a failure at keeping up  his clubhouse morale and some guys - ie. Rondon - do need a kick in the pants, that is more the exception. In baseball most of the time you want Joe Maddon or Jim Leyland, not Vince Lombardi

None of which should be taken to mean I think Ausmus is good a manager.

• Like 1

Not so sure that Ausmus deserves to be fired mid season, when a lot of the issues with the team are rooted in how it's been built. A lot of this stuff was fairly predictable going into the season.

The move I really hated was bringing McClendon back. I don't think he really showed much while he was here under Leyland, and there move just stuck me as an uninspired hire. That's not necessarily on Ausmus. If he opposed the hire and still had Lloyd pushed onto him, then that doesn't say a lot of good things about his standing with ownership. If he was all for it, then they doesn't say a lot of good things in his choice of staff. Pick your poison, I guess

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The same Buck who didn't bring in the closer in a tie playoff game last year?

4 hours ago, tiger337 said:

I don't care what happens to Ausmus because I don't think he is the problem.  Since the middle of 2015, it seems like he has been a pretty typical manager.  If Earl Weaver's clone is out there though, then go for it.  

I agree. Ausmus is not the problem right now. Unless Joe Madden calls Avila and begs for the job I wouldn't bother making a change. Fix the damn player development system. That should be the biggest priority right now in this organization. 

18 minutes ago, SeattleMike said:

I agree. Ausmus is not the problem right now. Unless Joe Madden calls Avila and begs for the job I wouldn't bother making a change. Fix the damn player development system. That should be the biggest priority right now in this organization. 

Paulino, Knebel, Suarez, Travis (as a CF) would have helped. Holding on to Ray would have been nice.

I agree Ausmus isn't the issue, but the only thing left for a GM to do at this point is shock the system. It's a desperate move, but the season is nearing desperation.

4 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Showalter is doing a great job with the Orioles pitching staff this year!

priced low and ready to move.  Not that I think Ausmus is THE problem.  I think THE problem is an organizational drift.  People are not sure there are reinforcements coming and leadership appears to be sending mixed messages. 

Bruce Bochy is generally regarded well.  Maybe San Francisco gets rid of him and the Tigers can swoop in and get him.

9 hours ago, Casimir said:

Bruce Bochy is generally regarded well.  Maybe San Francisco gets rid of him and the Tigers can swoop in and get him.

I could get on board with that! I guess if we're going to dream, we might as well dream big. 

9 hours ago, Casimir said:

I said in an earlier post somewhere that I would not be surprised if he doesn't step down on his own. He has a history of heart issues and has missed some time for it over the past several seasons. I've heard a few interviews with him recently and he his very frustrated with this season. That said, I don't think the Giants organization would fire this guy. He is very much loved and respected by the organization.

For those that recall, in 1990 the Cardinals were in SD for a series, in July I believe. Whitey Herzog was so frustrated with the team's efforts he resigned then and there, on the road! I wonder sometimes if Bochy is close to this point.

22 hours ago, tiger337 said:

I don't care what happens to Ausmus because I don't think he is the problem.  Since the middle of 2015, it seems like he has been a pretty typical manager.  If Earl Weaver's clone is out there though, then go for it.  

He is not THE problem but he still needs to go.

34 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

Like Drizz said, there really are only a couple of things ownership can do to show the fans they are engaged, and those are either fire the FO or publicly order the FO to make changes. The Tigers are certainly hurdling toward a point that Chris is going to have to do something to establish his credibility - at least if he wants to be able to move around the city without being snickered at.

1 hour ago, 1776 said:

I said in an earlier post somewhere that I would not be surprised if he doesn't step down on his own. He has a history of heart issues and has missed some time for it over the past several seasons. I've heard a few interviews with him recently and he his very frustrated with this season. That said, I don't think the Giants organization would fire this guy. He is very much loved and respected by the organization.

For those that recall, in 1990 the Cardinals were in SD for a series, in July I believe. Whitey Herzog was so frustrated with the team's efforts he resigned then and there, on the road! I wonder sometimes if Bochy is close to this point.

Better pass. If he has cardiac issues and the Giants are already putting him under strain, the Tigers will kill him. Don't need that on my fan conscience.

1 hour ago, sabretooth said:

I think we can all be pretty confident that someone else will be the manager in 2018, yes?

I think I want a new GM as well.  I think the team needs a front office overhaul and a different direction.

I don't think the front office is the problem. I don't think Ausmus is the problem. If you've got to make a move, then you fire Ausmus. It won't hurt. 

I don't think it makes much sense to fire a front office. 

Maybe in the offseason or next year you identify a guy that you can hire as a new team president and he can then decide which guys to bring in and which guys to get rid of. 

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

I don't think the front office is the problem. I don't think Ausmus is the problem. If you've got to make a move, then you fire Ausmus. It won't hurt. 

I don't think it makes much sense to fire a front office. 

Maybe in the offseason or next year you identify a guy that you can hire as a new team president and he can then decide which guys to bring in and which guys to get rid of. 

I would consider the team president to be part of the front office.

Something has to change with the farm system first and foremost.  Maybe Avila hasn't had enough time to do that in his current position, and that's a fair debate.  But at the same time he was part of the part office that has the minor league system in the mess that it is.

30 minutes ago, Casimir said:

I would consider the team president to be part of the front office.

Something has to change with the farm system first and foremost.  Maybe Avila hasn't had enough time to do that in his current position, and that's a fair debate.  But at the same time he was part of the part office that has the minor league system in the mess that it is.

I don't think the team has a team president. If it does have one, I think it's Ilitch. I think Avila's title is Vice President and general manager. 

So what I meant by that is they could hire a baseball guy to be placed above Avila, much like dombrowski was hired and placed above randy smith. Or how dombrowski was hired in Boston. It seems pretty common to see new GMs hired as team presidents, with the current GM remaining initially. 

Also, Avila worked under dombrowski, who had clear orders from Ilitch to win "now." We don't know whether or not Avila (or dombrowski) would have made those moves if Ilitch was more hands off. 

Its very hard for me to blame Avila for the state of the farm system. He's done nothing to weaken it since he took over, except in the trade for Justin Wilson, but that seems to be working out. 

His failures have come from the free agent contracts he gave out. Lowe was a disaster. But pelfrey wasn't all that bad in hindsight given how he is pitching decently enough for Chicago. Zimmermann can still work out, and I sort of expect him to pitch well going forward. 

That spending spree was Ilitch driven, too. 

Anyway, I don't think the weak farm system is Avila's fault. The only thing he could have done is tell DD not to trade Travis and Suarez and adames and Thompson and knebel and Perez. For all we know he did. 

29 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Also, Avila worked under dombrowski, who had clear orders from Ilitch to win "now." We don't know whether or not Avila (or dombrowski) would have made those moves if Ilitch was more hands off. 

Its very hard for me to blame Avila for the state of the farm system. He's done nothing to weaken it since he took over, except in the trade for Justin Wilson, but that seems to be working out. 

His failures have come from the free agent contracts he gave out. Lowe was a disaster. But pelfrey wasn't all that bad in hindsight given how he is pitching decently enough for Chicago. Zimmermann can still work out, and I sort of expect him to pitch well going forward. 

Anyway, I don't think the weak farm system is Avila's fault. The only thing he could have done is tell DD not to trade Travis and Suarez and adames and Thompson and knebel and Perez. For all we know he did. 

To the bold, Pelfry has pitched better for Chicago then he did for us, but because he got better after we cut him does not give points for the signing to Avila. In fact it raises the question, why or what is it about Detroit that didn't allow him to pitch better for us? Was he about to turn the corner and our coaching staff missed it? Did Avila misplay the whole deal by hanging onto Sanchez instead of getting him to AAA sooner and keeping Pelfry not leaving us short of starters? By giving Boyd extended rope then sending him to the minors anyhow?

The whole Pelry signing that had other GM's scratching their head at the contract onset all the way through to Pelfry performing better for Chicago reflects bad on Avila and our staff.

26 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Pelfrey is getting lucky this year, I guess by that case any pitcher could be a good signing. If you take out his revenge start against the Tigers (and beating this Tigers team should clearly not count) he has like a 1:1 K:BB.

It worries me that Avila might have a blind spot for pitchers who are not actually good outside of ERA. Hopefully that is not the case. I do agree that Zimmermann is showing signs of being useful again.