Motor City Sonics

Brad Ausmus - Are his days numbered?

194 posts in this topic

Honestly, as bad a manager as I think Brad Ausmus is - I am actually starting to feel sorry for him.  

To me it looks like he's just beaten down.   Kind of like Chuck McGill sitting in the house he's destroyed, exhausted.

His family lives in San Diego - Are the Tigers just going to tell him to stay with his family?   Do you fire someone on the road like that?   I get the impression that a manager that does not live in the city they play (Brad stays in a hotel when he's here) probably doesn't have much more than clothes to move.  

This disaster is not all his fault, but he shares some of the responsibility.  This is mostly on Al Avila and the listless players.   This stale lineup of overpaid veterans and non-developing young players is just awful.    Would a new manager make any kind of difference?   I don't know but I can't see Brad lasting much longer here - no matter what Al Avila says - No GM ever says "Yeah, I am considering firing the manager."   Changing managers is probably the easiest major move to make but would Llloyd or Omar make any kind of difference?   

Chris Illitch needs to have a talk with Al Avila soon.....like at the bottom of the airplane steps when they land in Detroit.     About a lot of things.    Tiger fan anger is giving way to apathy.......Apathy is much, much worse.  

How they can continue to stand pat is beyond me.  

While it's true this season is all but out of reach, firing Ausmus won't solve anything. Replacing him with Geno, Legendary Lloyd or Vizquel mid-season won't improve the teams performance and put them on a tear to take over the division.  It won't suddenly light a fire under the team when motivation isn't their problem. They are old, injury prone, lack talent in some areas as well as depth when said injuries pop up. A new manager won't change that. Let Brad play out the string. See who is available in the off season and go from there. The mistake with Brad was made when he was hired. Firing him now when he only has a few months left on his contract won't repair that mistake and IMO would make it look like AA was trying to deflect his share of the responsibility and blame onto Brad.

To fix what ails this team, Avila needs to start moving some guys and the sooner the better before the market gets crowded with similar talent.

Sell early, sell often

2 people like this

Fire Brad and Avila, make me GM, I hire Barry Bonds as manager/hitting coach/DH, Tigers win the world series.

Maybe firing the manager wakes them up.   Still in striking distance of Wild Card, won't be much longer.    

1 hour ago, rhino said:

While it's true this season is all but out of reach, firing Ausmus won't solve anything. Replacing him with Geno, Legendary Lloyd or Vizquel mid-season won't improve the teams performance and put them on a tear to take over the division.  It won't suddenly light a fire under the team when motivation isn't their problem. They are old, injury prone, lack talent in some areas as well as depth when said injuries pop up. A new manager won't change that. Let Brad play out the string. See who is available in the off season and go from there. The mistake with Brad was made when he was hired. Firing him now when he only has a few months left on his contract won't repair that mistake and IMO would make it look like AA was trying to deflect his share of the responsibility and blame onto Brad.

To fix what ails this team, Avila needs to start moving some guys and the sooner the better before the market gets crowded with similar talent.

Sell early, sell often

Firing Brad won't hurt anything....it might help....no reason whatsoever from an objective standpoint to want Brad to stay.

I don't care what happens to Ausmus because I don't think he is the problem.  Since the middle of 2015, it seems like he has been a pretty typical manager.  If Earl Weaver's clone is out there though, then go for it.  

1 minute ago, tiger337 said:

I don't care what happens to Ausmus because I don't think he is the problem.  Since the middle of 2015, it seems like he has been a pretty typical manager.  If Earl Weaver's clone is out there though, then go for it.  

He is - his name is Ozzie Guillen and people shudder at the thought.   Why?  Because he's mouthy?  So what............we could use a little excitement around here.   And - he's won a World Series - so he can't be all that bad, can he?    So he liked Fidel Castro.  Oooooh, there's a career killer right there  (several Tigers are already friends with him too). 

It doesn't matter. 

1 person likes this

Ozzie Guillen is an Earl Weaver clone?

I guess they are both short and argue with the umps, so there is that.

19 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Maybe firing the manager wakes them up.   Still in striking distance of Wild Card, won't be much longer.    

He has removed Rodriguez from the closer role.  He has moved Avila up to #2.  He has bumped Castellanos down to #6.  He has rearranged the playing time at C.  It isn't like he's just showing up and going through the motions.

I understand questioning some of the bullpen moves, but to be honest, I don't really know if anyone would have a clue how to handle that bullpen.

Its more than just lineup changes and moving pitchers around. 

Why aren't the young players developing?     James McCann is quickly regressing as a hitter and a defensive catcher............and our manager was a catcher.   You would think if there is any position he could improve it would be that one. 

And after removing K-Bomb from the closer's role, K-Bomb got angry and whined to the media and suddenly Dartmouth Gilligan starts pitching him in close games again - with predictable results.   I don't think it was coincidence and I think it shows that either he is not in charge at all or he just doesn't get it and never will.  

Days are numbered for all of us.

We're all day to day.

More pertinent to the question: another week, maybe two, of losing like this, and I say yes, Brad will be gone before ASB.

24 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Why aren't the young players developing?     James McCann is quickly regressing as a hitter and a defensive catcher............and our manager was a catcher.   You would think if there is any position he could improve it would be that one. 

And after removing K-Bomb from the closer's role, K-Bomb got angry and whined to the media and suddenly Dartmouth Gilligan starts pitching him in close games again - with predictable results.   I don't think it was coincidence and I think it shows that either he is not in charge at all or he just doesn't get it and never will.  

Ausmus had a career .669 OPS, 75 OPS+.  Not sure he has relevant results experience to pass along to anyone.

Could probably find a few seasons under Leyland where the catching wasn't as solid, either.

This doesn't excuse Ausmus' work overall.  But to pin McCann on Ausmus is ridiculous.  In fact, again, Ausmus has given Avila more playing time as the season has gone on because McCann ain't got it.

20 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I don't think a manager should be blamed for crap players not developing into good players.

James McCann is old and he sucks. Ausmus or anyone else isn't going to fix that. 

12 minutes ago, chasfh said:

More pertinent to the question: another week, maybe two, of losing like this, and I say yes, Brad will be gone before ASB.

It wouldn't surprise me. But if they win a few here and then lose a few there and keep going like that, and they remain within shouting distance of a playoff spot, I don't see him going anywhere. 

I do think that when/if the team decides to sell and throws in the towel on the season, that brad will probably be let go, too. Then we will get McClendon as the interim manager for the rest of the season. 

Not much sense in keeping brad around for the rest of the season when he's a lame duck already. 

Avila is responsible for 85% of this team going forward. I've seen too many crappy managers win titles to care much about Ausmus. He might matter if they were actually a good team.

Baseball is different from other sports.  Players don't "respond" to a manager in the same way they might from a head coach in football, hockey, or basketball.  Those sports have offensive and defensive schemes.  They have systems.  They have daily practices.  Drills. Workouts, etc.  Baseball doesn't have that kind of thing.  It's an individual sport.  Batter vs pitcher.  Fielder vs. ball.  

2 people like this

I think that unless there is a total disaster with 10+ game losing streaks, Ausmus will finish out the season.  It seems to me that the combination of Ausmus/Avila/C. Ilitch takes much more of a "wait and see" approach than we as fans got used to under the old guard of Leyland/Dombrowski/M. Ilitch.

53 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

a. James wasn't much of a hitter to begin with, and

b. Why would Brad having been a catcher help James' hitting?

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

I only care to the degree that we have a young pitching staff and I don't want a manager who is either just dumb or too much in win now mode or just to old school to protect them.

If you think Brad is having a negative impact on developing young players, then I would make a change. But that is hard to quantify and would be based on anecdotal evidence.