Jump to content
Casimir

06/20/2017 10:10pm Detroit Tigers @ Seattle Mariners

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Casimir said:

Are you new here?  Most folks prefer cat pictures.

Those are cat legs. A delicacy in the Northwest. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FanDuel Michigan Sports Betting

FanDuel Michigan $100 Launch Offer

Michigan online sports betting is launching shortly ( December 2020 or January 2021). Pre-register at FanDuel Sportsbook and get $50 free sports bets + $50 free online casino bets with no deposit necessary. Claim $100 at FanDuel Michigan Now

5 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I think it would have been possible to flip Jose for a 1-2 win OF or a decent bullpen arm.

I don't think trading Suarez instead of Iglesias was the problem. I think trading Suarez for a worthless garbage player was the problem. And it's not as if it was bad luck, Alfredo Simon sucked, he always sucked, and anyone with half a brain knew he sucked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I think it would have been possible to flip Jose for a 1-2 win OF or a decent bullpen arm.

That seems zero sum though since Jose is a 2 win SS. Getting nothing of value back for Suarez was the bigger fly in the ointment to me. 

EDIT: I see Pyro  just posted this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dave Dombrowski, dressed up as the professor from Futurama: Good news, everyone! You're going to the forbidden garbage planet to pick up my newest acquisition, Alfredo Simon!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I realize trading Iglesias in the hypothetical for a similarly productive (in terms of WAR) OF would be a zero sum trade, but the Tigers at the time had middle infield prospects and little depth in the OF or bullpen.  That is exactly the sort of trade an org should be considering (trade from strength to fill a hole).

Trading Iglesias for a 1-2 win OF would have helped the Tigers because they would have had little fall off at SS and improved the OF.  Possibly eliminates the need to acquire Upton.  Or, alternately, CF would be better now.

Frankly, a much better critique of the idea is whether Suarez could have conceivably played SS well enough to stick there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, socaltiger said:

Greene and J. Wilson are two real good bullpen pieces. I hope they keep both.  The pitching is better than the stats in my estimation.

Wilson has allowed runs in 5 of 12 games since becoming closer.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Wilson has allowed runs in 5 of 12 games since becoming closer.  

SO/W working 8th = 6.00

SO/W working 9th = 2.57

all his stats look similar. BaBIP is interesting. 133 in the 8th, 303 in the 9th

He is not exactly settling in to the new role.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, pyrotigers said:

I don't think trading Suarez instead of Iglesias was the problem. I think trading Suarez for a worthless garbage player was the problem. And it's not as if it was bad luck, Alfredo Simon sucked, he always sucked, and anyone with half a brain knew he sucked.

And Travis for Gose. DD pulled off some terrific trades, but he also pulled off some off the most idiotic ones I've seen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, pyrotigers said:

If only the Tigers had someone who had the closer's mentality

..who could also throw the ball through a kleenex.

:P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Alternately, I think it was easier to deal Iglesias at the time and get fair return than it was Suarez.

Wasn't Iglesias coming off that lost year? Hard to say what you could have gotten for him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He was and it is hard to know.

I know I was concerned at the time of trading Suarez because I wanted to see if Iglesias could perform to previous levels before dealing depth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, pyrotigers said:

If only the Tigers had someone who had the closer's mentality

 

IMG_3864.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Casimir said:

Uh,..... McCant?  What, was your thumb up your ..... ear?

Stupid thumb

 

I forgot about McCann because I was hoping Hicks would replace him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, pyrotigers said:

You haven't won a game in 6 months or whatever, and in a big situation you go with Stumpf instead of Greene or a Wilson because of ~the matchups~

Brain dead manager who is too scared to make a tough decision

If he's on the roster, Brad will use him. It's not Brad's fault Stumpf gave it up. The guy doesn't belong in the big leagues. Thank Avila for that move.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Casimir said:

Are you new here?  Most folks prefer cat pictures.

Did Jeffries die?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

If he's on the roster, Brad will use him. It's not Brad's fault Stumpf gave it up. The guy doesn't belong in the big leagues. Thank Avila for that move.

Avila deserves plenty of blame too, but this is a ridiculous statement. Andrew Romine is on the roster, if both Romine and JD Martinez are on the bench with the bases loaded, and Brad pinch hits Romine because he's 1-2 all time vs the current pitcher and JD is only 1-6, it would be an idiotically stupid move that should never happen.

You couldn't say "Romine is on the roster, not Brad's fault" when he struck out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, pyrotigers said:

Avila deserves plenty of blame too, but this is a ridiculous statement. Andrew Romine is on the roster, if both Romine and JD Martinez are on the bench with the bases loaded, and Brad pinch hits Romine because he's 1-2 all time vs the current pitcher and JD is only 1-6, it would be an idiotically stupid move that should never happen.

You couldn't say "Romine is on the roster, not Brad's fault" when he struck out.

I agree with you in general. In this particular instance tho, 2 outs nobody on down a run isn't a high leverage situation, even if it's B7.

Just looked it up, the leverage index was 0.36. For the opening batter of the game, it was 0.87.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

I agree with you in general. In this particular instance tho, 2 outs nobody on down a run isn't a high leverage situation, even if it's B7.

Just looked it up, the leverage index was 0.36. For the opening batter of the game, it was 0.87.

When your season is on the brink of being over, the bottom of the 7th of a one run game is a high leverage situation to me. Even if it isn't, it's still a higher leverage situation than you should be using Stumpf in. (As in, he should not be in non blowouts)

I am 100% certain the only reason Stumpf came in is because he was left handed. That's dumb. Managers insisting on using bad left handers instead of good right handers because of match ups is endlessly infuriating. Left handed batters have a .511 OPS vs Shane Green this year. (Righties: .526) He is a left handed specialist. The team does not even need Stumpf on the roster. In fact, Avila should send him down and call up a crappy right hander just to avoid giving Brad this temptation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, pyrotigers said:

When your season is on the brink of being over, the bottom of the 7th of a one run game is a high leverage situation to me. Even if it isn't, it's still a higher leverage situation than you should be using Stumpf in. (As in, he should not be in non blowouts)

I am 100% certain the only reason Stumpf came in is because he was left handed. That's dumb. Managers insisting on using bad left handers instead of good right handers because of match ups is endlessly infuriating. Left handed batters have a .511 OPS vs Shane Green this year. (Righties: .526) He is a left handed specialist. The team does not even need Stumpf on the roster. In fact, Avila should send him down and call up a crappy right hander just to avoid giving Brad this temptation.

Ausmus should never use his crappy relievers.  He should only use his good ones.  If Lolich can go 367 innings, so can Green.  Make him a man!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pyrotigers said:

Avila deserves plenty of blame too, but this is a ridiculous statement. Andrew Romine is on the roster, if both Romine and JD Martinez are on the bench with the bases loaded, and Brad pinch hits Romine because he's 1-2 all time vs the current pitcher and JD is only 1-6, it would be an idiotically stupid move that should never happen.

You couldn't say "Romine is on the roster, not Brad's fault" when he struck out.

This is an excellent response and illustration. 

I cant figure out what it is about stumpf that makes brad happy to use him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, pyrotigers said:

When your season is on the brink of being over, the bottom of the 7th of a one run game is a high leverage situation to me. Even if it isn't, it's still a higher leverage situation than you should be using Stumpf in. (As in, he should not be in non blowouts)

I am 100% certain the only reason Stumpf came in is because he was left handed. That's dumb. Managers insisting on using bad left handers instead of good right handers because of match ups is endlessly infuriating. Left handed batters have a .511 OPS vs Shane Green this year. (Righties: .526) He is a left handed specialist. The team does not even need Stumpf on the roster. In fact, Avila should send him down and call up a crappy right hander just to avoid giving Brad this temptation.

When you only have 2 relievers that can be considered league average, you have to pick and choose how you use them. He used Greene for 4 outs in high leverage, and had JWil ready to go another 4 outs, if he had been able.

Criticism for his bullpen management of this game is pretty nuts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Michigan Sports Betting Offer

FanDuel Sportsbook Michigan - Sports Betting is launching in Michigan shortly (December 2020 or January 2021). If you register before it launches you will recieve $50 dollars at their online sportsbook and online casino!

Click Here to claim the FanDuel Michigan for $50 at Online Sportsbook & Casino Pre-registration Bonus Now

Motown Sports Blog



  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      96,838
    • Total Posts
      3,031,772
  • Who's Online (See full list)

  • Upcoming Events

    No upcoming events found
×
×
  • Create New...