cruzer1

Now we know the rest of the story...

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2017/06/miguel_cabrera_injury_4.html#incart_river_index

DETROIT -- Miguel Cabrera hasn't talked much about his various ailments, because he didn't want to be seen as making excuses for what is, by his standards, a sub-par season.

But after he crushed the game-winning home run in the ninth inning Thursday night at Comerica Park, he opened up about what has been a frustrating season.

"I've been struggling," he said. "But I always stay positive."

Cabrera said the injury concerns that first cropped up during the World Baseball Classic in March, and that sent him to the disabled list for 10 days in late April, are still around.

Cabrera's ailments have variously been described as back, oblique and groin strains; he added "hip flexor" on Thursday. The last three are largely in the same area of the lower abdomen and upper groin.

"Since the World Baseball Classic when I hurt my back, I can't get it out of the way," Cabrera said. "It's something that I deal with everyday. I'm not going to stop playing or make an excuse. I try to do my best."

He said he didn't want to blame his power slump on the injuries. The home run on Thursday night was his first since May 20, a span of 103 plate appearances. He now has six on the season.

"I don't want to say I'm not hitting because I've got (an injury)," he said. "I don't want to make excuses. You've got to stop being sorry for yourself. You've still got to go out there and play, play hard."

The win in the series opener against the Tampa Bay Rays improved the Tigers to 31-34, still three games in .500. Without improvement in the next five weeks, the team is likely to sell at the trade deadline.

Cabrera said he had no explanation for the team's struggles.

"If I had an answer for that, I'd tell you," he said. "I really don't know. We have to figure out how to win more games. We know we have a good team. We know we have good talent in this clubhouse. So let's put it together and win more games."

Cabrera has resigned himself to contributing to those wins at less than 100 percent. He said he has no plans to take time off to heal.

"No, no, no," he said. "I played with a broken foot. If I'm able to go out there and do my job, I'm going to do it."

There should be a special prosecutor assigned to this case. What else is he hiding or covering up that we don't know about? Who knew what and when? 

That ******* World Baseball Classic.    I feel the same way as I do with the NHL and the Olympics in mid season.   Sorry, if I am a team owner I am paying that guy millions - if he's getting hurt, he's getting hurt playing for me.  Want to play for country pride?  Retire, you have plenty already.    

• Like 3

I think we dodged a bullet at least his legs are both the same length!

I know they aren't ready to give up on the season yet, but hopefully when the are Miggy can take some time to let this heal properly. I'm not a big fan of playing through injuries, they often seem to cause injuries in other areas or lead to the player picking up bad habits trying to protect the injury.

He should be a full time DH here very soon. He's getting that money to hit, not play the field. 

Obviously you can't do that with Victor being here, so something has to give with that. 

I bet Deuce can play 1B.  Can you imagine the conversations about broads he could have with the opponents?  It wouldn't even be a conversation.  It'd be a monologue.  Guys wouldn't want to leave story time at 1B.  That might be a way to keep runs down if WHIP can't be lowered..

• Like 1

I also hate the World Baseball Injury Classic.  March is a vulnerable time of year, and most participants play hard.

Is this where I bring up what a fantastic idea it was to offer MartinezV a four year deal?

Not sure how anyone employed in this FO thought it was a good idea to let $30 million/year 34yo Cabrera play in the pointless WBC, but is just another perfect example of how poorly run this organization is.  This is the same Cabrera that has dealt with constant nagging injuries basically every year since 2012.  I hope it was worth it.

5 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

That ******* World Baseball Classic.    I feel the same way as I do with the NHL and the Olympics in mid season.   Sorry, if I am a team owner I am paying that guy millions - if he's getting hurt, he's getting hurt playing for me.  Want to play for country pride?  Retire, you have plenty already.    

People that complain about the World Baseball Classic are out of touch old men.  

2 minutes ago, MDMAzing said:

Not sure how anyone employed in this FO thought it was a good idea to let $30 million/year 34yo Cabrera play in the pointless WBC, but is just another perfect example of how poorly run this organization is.  This is the same Cabrera that has dealt with constant nagging injuries basically every year since 2012.  I hope it was worth it.

Pretty sure the team has no say in what a player does in the off season.  I could be wrong, but pretty sure I am right that they have no say in it.

I'm not certain how it works. Are you sure the Tigers could demand he not play in the WBC? Or can they merely request he not play?

Just now, John_Brian_K said:

Pretty sure the team has no say in what a player does in the off season.  I could be wrong, but pretty sure I am right that they have no say in it.

JBK in with the answer before I even posted my question!

How many teams forbid players from playing in the WBC?

If he has had nagging injuries every season since 2012, maybe he is just injury prone and would have been injured at spring training?

I don't care one way or the other for WBC, but it seems presumptuous to me, at least, to presume he would be healthy but for the WBC, and lay the blame on the doorstep of the front office is classic MDMAzing.

Cabby is 28th in the AL with an .823 OPS.  Something is not right obviously.  He is dealing with some injuries.  There is nothing to complain about or see here really.  Minus expectation maybe, based on salary.

42 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

Pretty sure if they told him they didnt want him playing and reminded him they were paying him ~$50,000 per plate appearance, he'd comply.

47 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

If a player does a dangerous activity, his contract could be voided. There are stipulations in many ML contracts not allowing skydiving, motorcycle riding or other stupid stunts. <ducks>

1 hour ago, MDMAzing said:

The league would not allow teams to tell their players they couldn't go, though clearly teams could use whatever subtle means were at their disposal to persuade them it might be a bad idea to to. The thing is, you have to remember the political situation in Venezuela this time around in particular. All the Venezuelans were probably extra motivated because they wanted to do something for their country. The Tigers were sort of trapped by a confluence of unfavorable factors with this last WBC.