THECATMAC

Thoughts on Impemba...

4 hours ago, Deadshot said:

I could really do without Mario, Rod, and CMo. I like what Gibby adds to the game with numbers and a little more analysis, but it can get a bit dead in the booth. It's unrealistic to expect the Mets booth, but I wouldn't mind a switch of some kind.

Agreed about Gibson, he provides good insight but he just sounds so dull.

On 6/15/2017 at 0:46 PM, Oblong said:

With regard to Mario and the chalk... sometimes they could play dumb on behalf of the viewer.  Do that so the viewer can hear the explanation and become informed.  That's one way of doing it without being condescending.

And in general I've always said that the TV crew gears their broadcasts towards the casual fan whereas the radio guys target their audience as more intense fans and can be more honest.  TV Broadcasting is as much marketing now as it is just telling us the action.  We can see the action.  They're job is to promote the Tigers and sell tickets and eyeballs.

Mario's a pro and if you told him tomorrow he had to fill in on an Orioles/Toronto game he could do it and never miss a beat.  Give him a day's notice and he could call a football or hockey game competently.  

The biggest difference between the announcers we grew up with & the ones we hear today is money. Teams are much more involved in the process than they used to be.  Ernie/Paul Carey were employed by WJR .. LONG before there was big TV money involved.  Now with so many games being on TV, & the teams doling on significant cash, they don't want bad-mouthing the organization. That's why we get Mario, Johnny Kane, Craig Monroe, Todd Jones...

On 6/16/2017 at 10:53 AM, chasfh said:

Yeah, there are other reasons to not like Impembia that don't have anything to do with chalk or paint.

Yeah like Impemba thinks he's on national tv, always giving way too much credit to the other team IMO.  I don't want the Hawk Harrelson team lovefest, but at least show some allegiance to the team that's paying you.

2 hours ago, dtroit68 said:

Yeah like Impemba thinks he's on national tv, always giving way too much credit to the other team IMO.  I don't want the Hawk Harrelson team lovefest, but at least show some allegiance to the team that's paying you.

If you have a team that loses a lot, and for that matter every sports team loses close to half its games, and you want to build audience allegiance and interest beyond bandwagon fans, you should talk up the game in and of itself apart from just whether your team is winning. If you can't get fans to where they can appreciate an opponent's play, they are more likely to turn off all the games except when the home team is winning. Bad for ratings. Bad for the sport overall.

On 6/21/2017 at 6:10 PM, djhutch said:

The biggest difference between the announcers we grew up with & the ones we hear today is money. Teams are much more involved in the process than they used to be.  Ernie/Paul Carey were employed by WJR .. LONG before there was big TV money involved.  Now with so many games being on TV, & the teams doling on significant cash, they don't want bad-mouthing the organization. That's why we get Mario, Johnny Kane, Craig Monroe, Todd Jones...

Maybe I was too young to remember, but I have zero recollection of Ernie/Paul or Kell or Kaline ever badmouthing the team, the management or the players.  I do recall them going on about how awesome Aurelio Rodriguez was, how Tom Veryzer was a solid shortstop and John Hiller being the best reliever ever.  I liked Paul Carey better than Ernie Harwell.  I found Ernie's good old days stories to be boring and of no interest to me.  

I don't dislike Mario or Rod.  Gibson is too quirky and has too many mental drifts where you have no idea what he is talking about.  CMo is slightly better than he used to be, but that isn't saying much.  He's finally not trying to be Rod, but he still hasn't figured when to enunciate words and when not to.  He's better as a guy in the dugout or out in the crowd.

4 hours ago, Kacie said:

Maybe I was too young to remember, but I have zero recollection of Ernie/Paul or Kell or Kaline ever badmouthing the team, the management or the players.  I do recall them going on about how awesome Aurelio Rodriguez was, how Tom Veryzer was a solid shortstop and John Hiller being the best reliever ever.  I liked Paul Carey better than Ernie Harwell.  I found Ernie's good old days stories to be boring and of no interest to me.  

I don't dislike Mario or Rod.  Gibson is too quirky and has too many mental drifts where you have no idea what he is talking about.  CMo is slightly better than he used to be, but that isn't saying much.  He's finally not trying to be Rod, but he still hasn't figured when to enunciate words and when not to.  He's better as a guy in the dugout or out in the crowd.

Kaline was very critical of bad plays, bad approaches by players - on about the same par with Price and Dickerson in that regard. I would disagree with your characterization. At least during games, Ernie didn't really comment a whole lot at all. He was more died in the wool straight play by play. He would give enough detail that you would know whether a play should have been made was or was superbly done, but I don't remember Ernie ever adding very much of what we have come to regard today as commentary at all. He did 'color' in terms of player info, history and stories, but not much game critique. And that went pretty much both ways with Ernie. He didn't fawn over good tiger plays anymore than he did good opposition plays. The big difference really was that Ernie basically worked alone. He and Paul worked different innings and neither said a whole lot while the other was doing his innings. If fact there many games where I assumed Ernie had probably left the booth for a snack while Carey was working. So there was very little back and forth conversation about the game compared to Dan and Jim for instance. The other thing with Ernie is that you never knew the score from listening to his attitude - for instance the way you do with a Hawk or Mark Champion.

George Kell was classic but of a different era. To be honest I liked George Kell more than Ernie Harwell, but that was more about personality than broadcast chops.

I think the requirements of Television are different now  - esp with all the replay. When a bad play is made, it just sounds dumb when it's glossed over the way Rod often does. It sort of demands more comment. When Kell first started doing TV the game moved a lot faster and there were few replays to provide color around.  I think it's also harder to be upbeat on TV when the team is losing. A TV broadcast is the center of your attention so you are by nature more invested in it than a radio broadcast, where it may the background to a 1000 other things you are doing that may be more important to you at the moment.

Harwell and Dickerson are/were tremendous announcers for different reasons.  We have been lucky to have two of the best.  Harwell had a great voice and delivery and it was very easy to follow the game from his description.  Much like Vin Scully, when you heard his voice you know it's a baseball game.  They knew how to capture the pace of the game.  Dickerson also has a great delivery, a different type of delivery from Ernie.  It is more emotional, but his timing is perfect.  You can do something else with the game in the background and still know what's happening.  His ability to weave analysis into his broadcasts is brilliant.  Harwell will always be my favorite because he is the one of grew up with before cable TV broadcast all the games, but Dickerson might actually be better all around.   

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Harwell and Dickerson are/were tremendous announcers for different reasons.  We have been lucky to have two of the best.  Harwell had a great voice and delivery and it was very easy to follow the game from his description.  Much like Vin Scully, when you heard his voice you know it's a baseball game.  They knew how to capture the pace of the game.  Dickerson also has a great delivery, a different type of delivery from Ernie.  It is more emotional, but his timing is perfect.  You can do something else with the game in the background and still know what's happening.  His ability to weave analysis into his broadcasts is brilliant.  Harwell will always be my favorite because he is the one of grew up with before cable TV broadcast all the games, but Dickerson might actually be better all around.   

Dickerson is first rate , though there have been a couple of times this season in particular when I found myself wishing Ernie had willed him his egg-timer.xD 

On 6/24/2017 at 10:19 AM, dtroit68 said:

Some allegiance?  The entire FSD lineup is so firmly entrenched up the back side of the Tigers organization it's hard to see where one leaves off & the other begins.

• Like 1

On ‎2017‎-‎06‎-‎24 at 6:09 PM, tiger337 said:

I haven't heard Dickerson, I'm sorry to say.  I heard Ernie a lot starting in 1962, some years the reception was more clear than others, but I never felt that he and Paul were homers, not a bit.  They were all about the facts of the game as it was happening, or so it seems to me now.

It's interesting what you say about the game being in the background and still know what was happening, because I think that one of the absolute masters of that was the late Tom Cheek, who worshipped at the altar of Ernie Harwell.  If you wanted to just get out of the house for an hour or so on a sunny Sunday afternoon in the 1980's or 1990's, with the lame excuse that you had to wash the car, then absolute bliss was having Tom Cheek call a Blue Jays' game in the background.  If you told me right now that this Sunday afternoon I could wash my car, it would be sunny and hot as ****, and I could listen to Tom Cheek call a baseball game, I'd sign up for it right now.

On 6/24/2017 at 6:09 PM, tiger337 said:

Harwell and Dickerson are/were tremendous announcers for different reasons.  We have been lucky to have two of the best.  Harwell had a great voice and delivery and it was very easy to follow the game from his description.

This one place where it's night and day  different between Dickerson/Price  and Harwell/X For instance either last night or maybe the night before, they spent so much time talking about the condition of team, who might go/stay, Ausmus' future, KRods release, the BP, that often I'd end up not having heard how the man that was on 1st got there. But it's a different era with different expectations. I guess with the team on the cusp of a possible transition, all that conversation is OK right now, but they will burn out talking about it if they don't back it down a bit eventually.

I'm not a Rod fan but I seem to recall the Dickerson/Rod combo on TV being tolerable. I don't envy their roles at all - watching the 8 game skid was tough enough. I imagine having to narrate it would take quite a bit out of you as well.

1 hour ago, Deadshot said:

I'm not a Rod fan but I seem to recall the Dickerson/Rod combo on TV being tolerable. I don't envy their roles at all - watching the 8 game skid was tough enough. I imagine having to narrate it would take quite a bit out of you as well.

Dickerson is infinitely better when he's not paired with Jim Price.

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 5:46 PM, Gehringer_2 said:

Kaline was very critical of bad plays, bad approaches by players - on about the same par with Price and Dickerson in that regard.

Agreed.

There were plenty of times Al would criticize a player on either team if he did a bonehead thing or used poor technique.  Actually I think he was easier on the occasional bone-headed play versus bad technique.  I think he was tough but fair.

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 5:02 PM, djhutch said:

Some allegiance?  The entire FSD lineup is so firmly entrenched up the back side of the Tigers organization it's hard to see where one leaves off & the other begins.

I think both of these are correct. The reason he gives so much credit to the other team is to make the Tigers look better. It's not so bad losing every game if the other team's pitcher just has nasty stuff, what can you do?

that's the difference with Gibson--he speaks his mind, because he can take or leave the announcing gig.  As a former player and manager, he has likely amassed life savings that don't require him to work.  For the others, this is their livelihood, so they probably feel that they have to be less critical.

the dream pairing for me is Dickerson/Gibson, though I do like Mario, too.  I'd prefer that Jim Price and his "buggy whip" pursue retirement.  You could make a drinking game out of his expressions and be ****-faced by the 4th inning.

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 11:03 PM, Sports_Freak said:

Johnny  Kane is probably the worst sideline announcer I have ever saw. His moronic stories go on forever, even when players hit the ball. And he's usually tripping over his tongue.

Wrong, Johnny Kane is legit. 

• Like 1

I think Impemba is fine. He's a pro and does a good job. Play by play *seems* like an easy job to a lot of people. As they sit there from their living room couch, of course. It might seem easy...but it ain't. At all. 

Mario still confuses right and left field. I've heard it several times this year already. He will also call the wrong name at least a couple of times a week. Sometimes he doesn't even know he did it. He seems like a nice guy, but he's just not all that deep. He's definitely not a guy who's going to research things to the ends of the earth.  

A color guy who I wish would have stuck with it was Dan Petry. He doesn't have an overly exciting delivery, but he also doesn't sound half asleep like Gibson does. I thought he always seemed to have very good observations about pitching.

Dickerson was tough for me to get used to at first, but that is because of who he had to follow. He's about as good as they come. Jim Price is far from eloquent and reuses so many of the same lines inning after inning. But he is also a very smart baseball man and one of the best individuals you'll ever have the pleasure of meeting. So I tend to overlook all the "wow"s that come out of his mouth that take the place of hard hitting commentary....

I swear Dickerson said "no score, bottom of the first, Giants lead 1-0" today.