THECATMAC

Thoughts on Impemba...

11 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

False.  There are several objectively worse than Jim.

He was extremely rough when he first started, but he is solid color commentator at a minimum now.

I know a lot of people have come around on Price, but I still can't stand his mannerisms and his inability to be quiet and let the sounds of the game be a part of the broadcast.  I have XM, and when I'm in the car I make it a point to listen to the opposing team's broadcast if available.

13 minutes ago, Euphdude said:

I know a lot of people have come around on Price, but I still can't stand his mannerisms and his inability to be quiet and let the sounds of the game be a part of the broadcast.  I have XM, and when I'm in the car I make it a point to listen to the opposing team's broadcast if available.

I can agree with Price being too noisy at times.

I listen to the Tiger games on MLB audio. Last night there were one or two occasions when there was maybe 4 or 5 seconds during the game when neither Dan nor Jim were speaking. I literally thought I had lost the signal. I like Jim but it is no secret, the man is compelled to comment on someting every time Dan finishes his comment. It is as if the man feels he's not doing his job if he's not commenting on all the time. He has so many lines and quotes that he has worn silly it is funny. Having said all that, I consider his style/comments as part of Tiger basball and wouldn't change a thing. I do not look forward to the day Jim is no longer in the booth. He's forever a Tiger.

• Like 1

My only issue with the announcers is their general milquetoast attitude, but that's going to be the same no matter who they hire. It's clear that everyone is directed to rarely criticize or analyze. If I have to hear 10 more times per game how the team is so good they just have to get it together and there's no reason to worry and they have track records I'm going to post in this thread again, I tell you what!!!!

11 hours ago, Shelton said:

At least some teams teams still use chalk. 

I though they painted the grass and chalked the dirt.

With regard to Mario and the chalk... sometimes they could play dumb on behalf of the viewer.  Do that so the viewer can hear the explanation and become informed.  That's one way of doing it without being condescending.

And in general I've always said that the TV crew gears their broadcasts towards the casual fan whereas the radio guys target their audience as more intense fans and can be more honest.  TV Broadcasting is as much marketing now as it is just telling us the action.  We can see the action.  They're job is to promote the Tigers and sell tickets and eyeballs.

Mario's a pro and if you told him tomorrow he had to fill in on an Orioles/Toronto game he could do it and never miss a beat.  Give him a day's notice and he could call a football or hockey game competently.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Oblong said:

With regard to Mario and the chalk... sometimes they could play dumb on behalf of the viewer.  Do that so the viewer can hear the explanation and become informed.  That's one way of doing it without being condescending.

And in general I've always said that the TV crew gears their broadcasts towards the casual fan whereas the radio guys target their audience as more intense fans and can be more honest.  TV Broadcasting is as much marketing now as it is just telling us the action.  We can see the action.  They're job is to promote the Tigers and sell tickets and eyeballs.

Mario's a pro and if you told him tomorrow he had to fill in on an Orioles/Toronto game he could do it and never miss a beat.  Give him a day's notice and he could call a football or hockey game competently.  

Pretty much. I really don't care for Mario but broadcasters regularly ask dumb questions in order to give the "analyst" a chance to explain things to the viewer. It doesn't mean they don't know what they're talking about. 

I do think there are a lot of things that Mario is dumb about his job is also to be intentionally dumb at times. 

16 minutes ago, Yoda said:

Pretty much. I really don't care for Mario but broadcasters regularly ask dumb questions in order to give the "analyst" a chance to explain things to the viewer. It doesn't mean they don't know what they're talking about. 

I do think there are a lot of things that Mario is dumb about his job is also to be intentionally dumb at times. 

Yeah, you see the same type of thing during a studio show or a newscast. Person A asks person B a question simply as a lead in to a prepared remark by person B. 

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Yep that's what they do, if you get to a game early enough you can see them doing it.

5 hours ago, rhino said:

Jim Price gets a pass from me, He's a heck of a guy and I don't care how many times he tells the story of hiding behind Willie Horton during a benches clearing brawl. I laugh each time.

Word.

21 hours ago, THECATMAC said:

Today's game against Arizona, Kinsler hits a line drive down the 3rd base line, and Impemba say's "kicked up chalk". Gibson reply's "there is no chalk, it's white paint. WTF, how does an announcer not know this? The other day, when a hot dog vendor got hit by a foul ball he made a comment like "I wonder if the vendors get tips?" Talk about being out of touch....

They used to use lines of chalk until they caught Darryl Strawberry trying to snort the entire first base line.

3 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

They used to use lines of chalk until they caught Darryl Strawberry trying to snort the entire first base line.

In Josh Hamilton's book he mentions how fans used to always say stuff like that to him. 

48 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

In Josh Hamilton's book he mentions how fans used to always say stuff like that to him. 

Yeah, but did you ever see Strawberry's nostrils? They are huge. You could probably park a car in them. ?

I love Mario. Not only is he a great announcer but also strong in the community and is a friend of a friend of mine. 

I made a point of paying attention to Price tonight and will continue to do so in the near future, but I think the listed shortcomings are overstated.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I made a point of paying attention to Price tonight and will continue to do so in the near future, but a think the listed shortcomings are overstated.

I find that Price's annoyances become amusing imperfections over time, whearas Rod Allen's annoyances become more annoying each year.    

• Like 2

I think Rod is fun when the Tigers are good, and really annoying when they are bad. Jim is fun when the Tigers are good and actually analytical and good at explaining the team's problems when they are bad. Since they're bad, Jim is better.

20 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Now that I think about it, I wonder if our softball lines are painted or chalked.  I've never paid much attention even though they are prepping the field when I show up.  I'm too busy getting stuff ready in the dugout or doing soft toss or some other sort of thing to pay much attention.  I do know we have had orange lines rather than white all season.

55 minutes ago, pyrotigers said:

I think Rod is fun when the Tigers are good, and really annoying when they are bad. Jim is fun when the Tigers are good and actually analytical and good at explaining the team's problems when they are bad. Since they're bad, Jim is better.

Explaining the team's problems or a mistake made in game without being a **** or a **** about it is one Jim's strengths.

In my experience most commentators don't truly comment on it in the first place, but the few that do tend to either whine about it or go overboard in their criticism.

I don't recall Ernie commenting on it, for example.

On 6/14/2017 at 7:59 PM, tiger337 said:

That is true.  I am not a big fan of Impemba, but that is nitpicking.  

Yeah, there are other reasons to not like Impembia that don't have anything to do with chalk or paint.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tiger337 said:

I find that Price's annoyances become amusing imperfections over time, whearas Rod Allen's annoyances become more annoying each year.    

Probably because they are losing, I am finding Rod more insufferable, then that bleeds over to Mario. To me he tends to reflect the quality of the color guy. When he's with Rod, he irritates me, when he's he's with Gibson, he doesn't.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Probably because they are losing, I am finding Rod more insufferable, then that bleeds over to Mario. To me he tends to reflect the quality of the color guy. When he's with Rod, he irritates me, when he's he's with Gibson, he doesn't.

Very good point. 

I could really do without Mario, Rod, and CMo. I like what Gibby adds to the game with numbers and a little more analysis, but it can get a bit dead in the booth. It's unrealistic to expect the Mets booth, but I wouldn't mind a switch of some kind.