THECATMAC

Thoughts on Impemba...

Today's game against Arizona, Kinsler hits a line drive down the 3rd base line, and Impemba say's "kicked up chalk". Gibson reply's "there is no chalk, it's white paint. WTF, how does an announcer not know this? The other day, when a hot dog vendor got hit by a foul ball he made a comment like "I wonder if the vendors get tips?" Talk about being out of touch....

It's an expression that has been around forever. No different than tin foil or lead pencil. 

• Like 3

Today's game is against the Arizona Diamondbacks.  Did someone say out of touch? ;)

When Gibson told him There is no chalk, it's paint." Impemba's reply was "There's not?" He clearly didn't know it is not chalk anymore...

32 minutes ago, Yoda said:

It's an expression that has been around forever. No different than tin foil or lead pencil. 

That is true.  I am not a big fan of Impemba, but that is nitpicking.  

What has always bothered me about him is his lack of passion for the game. He brings nothing to the broadcast. Nothing. He's obviously not a fan of the game. No stories. On the Sunday Night game, Boone or somebody gave us facts on the Tigers that we had never heard.That should never happen. We have a guy who does 170 games a year. There should no material left on any player that Mario hasn't told us about. For example, we heard on Sunday night about Kinsler's growing up, moving around the country, what his father did. Ernie always did a great job of that with the umpires. He knew their stories, their histories. Mario doesn't read anything, thus, he knows nothing.

The Tigers owe us something better.

On a positive note, Johnny Kaine (sp?) is really good. Dude asks tough tough questions to Brad. And they loved him in KC or wherever it is he's from. Shep is still good as well. And Keating isn't bad.

17 minutes ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

What has always bothered me about him is his lack of passion for the game. He brings nothing to the broadcast. Nothing. He's obviously not a fan of the game. No stories. On the Sunday Night game, Boone or somebody gave us facts on the Tigers that we had never heard.That should never happen. We have a guy who does 170 games a year. There should no material left on any player that Mario hasn't told us about. For example, we heard on Sunday night about Kinsler's growing up, moving around the country, what his father did. Ernie always did a great job of that with the umpires. He knew their stories, their histories. Mario doesn't read anything, thus, he knows nothing.

On a positive note, Johnny Kaine (sp?) is really good. Dude asks tough tough questions to Brad. And they loved him in KC or wherever it is he's from. Shep is still good as well. And Keating isn't bad.

Johnny  Kane is probably the worst sideline announcer I have ever saw. His moronic stories go on forever, even when players hit the ball. And he's usually tripping over his tongue.

Rod is the best of two evils between him and Gibby. Gibby needs to go, his 3rd grade "vacation" presentation tonight was unbearable. Turned the sound down on the TV. As mentioned, didn't worry about Mario saying anything new.

It's all opinions. I'm sure there are people sad that Hawk is retiring. We'll throw a party, after he's gone. ?

2 hours ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

Why? 

10 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

The Giants are out of touch.

Balderdash.  They play the game the right way.

It's an expression of the game.    Get over it.  You don't have to listen to Impemba.    The Tigers could do much worse.  Anyone remember Rick Ritz and Bob Rathbun?

11 hours ago, THECATMAC said:

Today's game against Arizona, Kinsler hits a line drive down the 3rd base line, and Impemba say's "kicked up chalk". Gibson reply's "there is no chalk, it's white paint. WTF, how does an announcer not know this? The other day, when a hot dog vendor got hit by a foul ball he made a comment like "I wonder if the vendors get tips?" Talk about being out of touch....

Why is a foul pole part of fair territory?

6 hours ago, Shelton said:

At least some teams teams still use chalk. 

That's pretty cool.  All of that work for the batter's box and then the back lines are scratched out by the end of the 2nd inning.

Milquetoastio is a company man. He neither engages nor offends. He's there in his wooden state and graduated from the Chip Carey school of broadcasting. Unfortunately it is the state of the modern broadcaster: don't rock the boat, be professional and collect your paycheck. 

In a world where Tigers fans have been subjected to the babbling of Rod Allen for 14 years, I don't find his vanilla broadcast to be anything more than background noise. BTW, did you know that Rod Allen played for the 84 Tigers? All of the 84 Tigers became aware of that 20 years after the fact too.

Mario is fine.  In the meanwhile Jim Price continues his reign as the most annoying color commentator in the history of radio. 

10 hours ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

Ernie always did a great job of that with the umpires. He knew their stories, their histories. Mario doesn't read anything, thus, he knows nothing.

You're seeing the difference between a people person and bookworm nerd. Could you see Mario having a daily walk with Ausmus? If you were at a social gathering with Ernie, he'd be engaging people and listening. Impemba would be sitting against a wall waiting for people to come up to talk with him. That's why Ernie is a classic and Impemba is just there.

8 hours ago, Shelton said:

At least some teams teams still use chalk. 

The Giants play the game the right way.  This is why they always win the World Series.  

8 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

You're seeing the difference between a people person and bookworm nerd. 

I don't think he is either.  

1 hour ago, Euphdude said:

Mario is fine.  In the meanwhile Jim Price continues his reign as the most annoying color commentator in the history of radio. 

False.  There are several objectively worse than Jim.

He was extremely rough when he first started, but he is solid color commentator at a minimum now.

46 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

You're seeing the difference between a people person and bookworm nerd. Could you see Mario having a daily walk with Ausmus? If you were at a social gathering with Ernie, he'd be engaging people and listening. Impemba would be sitting against a wall waiting for people to come up to talk with him. That's why Ernie is a classic and Impemba is just there.

I think this is right.

There isn't anything overly engaging with Mario. He certainly isn't at the top of my list of people I wish I could sit and have a beer with and listen to him tell stories of the players.

He just is there, which isn't too bad. I suppose we could have a lot worse,

Jim Price gets a pass from me, He's a heck of a guy and I don't care how many times he tells the story of hiding behind Willie Horton during a benches clearing brawl. I laugh each time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rhino said:

He just is there, which isn't too bad. I suppose we could have a lot worse,

Being "just there" is better than being Rod Allen.  

• Like 1