Sign in to follow this  
mbrieve

June 2017 Successes

Well, we are 9 days in and nobody else started it.

Not exactly a success, but went to my first Tigers game of the season last Sunday, June 4. Didn't attempt getting autographs, but noticed that JD Martinez was signing for about 5 minutes just before the National Anthem. It appeared he recognized someone in the front row and came over, then just decided to start signing. Due to threatening rain, there was no BP prior to the 1pm start and I didn't see any other players sign.

Did anyone go to the first Tiger Friday at the Whitecaps with Jack Morris? How's the new system? I wanted to go, but had a family obligation.

Last night I got four items signed by NATE ROBERTSON at a private signing event just before the public signing at the WhiteCaps game:  1) Bobblehead with his "Gum Time" bubble, 2) "The Detroit Tigers" book, 3) "The Perfect Season" book, and 4) 2006 Post-Season book.  The previous week Morris signed his "mustache bobblehead" for me.

Mark, to answer your question, the Jack Morris signing was, as expected, very busy.  They handed out cards with numbers 1 - 400, so 400 people got autographs.  There were approximately 50 - 75 people still in line when they handed out the last number, and thus got nothing.  The system seemed to work out very well; you were able to leave the line, and wait for your number to be called in 50 increments (i.e, 1- 50, 51 - 100, etc.)  But no one got more than one autograph, with the possible exception of one individual who purchased a number for $20 from a person with a duplicate!  Someone can always figure out a way to get around the system!

As far as Robertson, it was easy to get two numbers (one at a time) and go through the line twice.  I don't know if anyone made it more often than that.  I heard they were going to cut it off after 350, but I don't know if it actually happened.

The system seems to work as the WhiteCaps intended it.  No long lines anymore, no need to stand in line for one or two hours.  My guess is that more people are now getting autographs because they don't need to stand in long lines, especially those with children.  Having said that, it subsequently made it more difficult to get multiple autographs; the exception would be those collectors who bring people with them to get autographs.

Be interesting to see how the system works with lesser names (Pat Sheridan, Dickie Noles) in the future.

Thanks for the feedback, Dave! At this point, I'm only planning to attend the Pat Sheridan game. I don't really need any of the rest and Sheridan is only coincidental.

I got three items (all books) signed by PAT SHERIDAN at the WhiteCaps Tiger Friday event two days ago.  I think he only signed about 250 items, because he was a very slow signer and engaged everyone in conversation.

Two of the three books I got signed told the story of his home run in Game 3 of the 1987 League Championship Series, the only post-season win for the Tigers vs. the Twins.  

July 14 is the next Tiger Friday, with Dickie Noles signing.  He is perhaps best known as the player the Cubs traded to the Tigers for a "player to be named later."  That player turned out to be Dickie Noles, so he was traded for himself.  Retrosheet.com describes it as a "Loan."

His Tiger career consisted of 4 games in which he pitched a total of 2 innings (in 1987), although he did get 2 saves for the AL Eastern Division Champs.  In 1980 he pitched for the World Championship Phillies, and made one appearance in the WS.

I expect him to be even less popular than Sheridan, although he has not been on the Michigan autograph circuit.

On 6/25/2017 at 5:22 PM, detroittigerfan said:

July 14 is the next Tiger Friday, with Dickie Noles signing.  He is perhaps best known as the player the Cubs traded to the Tigers for a "player to be named later."  That player turned out to be Dickie Noles, so he was traded for himself.  Retrosheet.com describes it as a "Loan."

His Tiger career consisted of 4 games in which he pitched a total of 2 innings (in 1987), although he did get 2 saves for the AL Eastern Division Champs.  In 1980 he pitched for the World Championship Phillies, and made one appearance in the WS.

Are you planning on going to that?  I'd be very interested to see what Noles signs...there are definitely no cards with him as a Tiger, and I've never seen a picture of him in a Tigers uniform.

On 6/30/2017 at 9:37 AM, BoomGaspar said:

Are you planning on going to that?  I'd be very interested to see what Noles signs...there are definitely no cards with him as a Tiger, and I've never seen a picture of him in a Tigers uniform.

He was traded to the Tigers on Sept. 22, 1987, and finished the year with them on Oct. 4, but was not on the post-season roster.  So he was only a Tiger for 13 days, making 4 appearances totaling 2 innings during that time.  

However, my friend Bill has several photos of him as a Tiger, which we hope to get signed on July 14.  I don't think that will be a problem, since this will probably be the shortest line of the year.

On 7/1/2017 at 11:06 AM, detroittigerfan said:

However, my friend Bill has several photos of him as a Tiger, which we hope to get signed on July 14.  I don't think that will be a problem, since this will probably be the shortest line of the year.

I hope you're planning on posting the successes...I'd definitely like to see what images your friend has.

Until Los Gatos directed me to the image referenced above, Noles was one of a handful of '80s Tigers for whom I'd never ever seen an image.  Others include:

• Matt Sinatro (13 games in '89)
  • Brad Havens (also 13 games in '89)
  • Dave Palmer (5 games in '89)
  • Chris Bando (1 game in '88)
  • Mark Huismann (5 games in '88)
  • Jack Lazorko (3 games in '86)
  • Bob Stoddard (8 games in '85)
  • Mickey Mahler (3 games in '85)
  • Julio Gonzalez (12 games in '83)
  • Sal Butera (4 games in '83)
  • Bill Nahorodny (2 games in '83)

Everyone else who played for the Tigers from 1980-89 has at least one image of them in a Tigers uniform available, whether online, in a yearbook, in a program, in a media guide, etc.  The list of '90s Tigers without images is far longer...

About a year ago I sent and received a TTM request to Dickie Noles of the 1988 card that says "Now with Tigers" as I never seen him photographed as a Tiger.

On 7/1/2017 at 11:06 AM, detroittigerfan said:

Did this ever come to be?