Sign in to follow this  
Deleterious

RIP Jack McCloskey

RIP to the man who once traded a first and second round pick for Kurt Nimphius.

I kid.  RIP Trader Jack.

It seems silly that a 6/$13M contract caused so much controversy.  But Koncak was making more than Jordan, Bird, and Magic.

Jordan was criminally underpaid though.  Different era with different contracts, but a bunch of his peers made more money than him during that time.  Miller, Ewing, Hakeem.  Even Pippen made about $20M more than Jordan did for their careers.  

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

It seems silly that a 6/$13M contract caused so much controversy.  But Koncak was making more than Jordan, Bird, and Magic.

Jordan was criminally underpaid though.  Different era with different contracts, but a bunch of his peers made more money than him during that time.  Miller, Ewing, Hakeem.  Even Pippen made about $20M more than Jordan did for their careers.  

Wow, that's all that contract offer sheet was?  Good grief, I remember the controversy, but not the dollars involved.  That's just absurd to think about.

The highest paid year for Koncak was 1992-93 where he made $2.9M.

Salary cap that year was $15.1M.

Top 10 salaries:

1. David Robinson (SA)    $5.74
2. Buck Williams (Por)    $5.05
3. Vlade Divac (LAL)      $4.133
4. Robert Parish (Bos)    $4.0
5. Ron Harper (LAC)       $4.0
6. Michael Jordan (Chi)   $4.0 (still paid)
7. Shaquille O'Neal (Orl) $3.9
8. Patrick Ewing (NY)     $3.825
9. John Williams (Cle)    $3.786
10. Sam Perkins (Sea)     $3.587

The Pistons:

Detroit Pistons
Isiah Thomas ................ 2,520,000
Sean Elliott ................ 1,807,000
Mark Macon .................. 1,498,000
Mark Aguirre ................ 1,471,000
Bill Laimbeer ............... 1,300,000
Joe Dumars .................. 1,280,000
Terry Mills ................. 1,614,000 (? - out of order)
Lindsey Hunter ..............   902,000
Olden Polynice ..............   850,000
Allen Houston ...............   736,000
Greg Anderson ...............   650,000
Marcus Liberty ..............   650,000
David Wood ..................   488,000
Tracy Moore .................    40,000
Todd Murphy .................    20,000
Total ....................$15.8 million

Even though I identify as a Tiger fan much more than a Pistons fan... the Bad Boys era was the most fun I ever had as a fan.  The 84 Tigers... I was only 11 at the time.  But the 87-91 Pistons-I was in my formative sports fan years.  I'm not sure it would ever be topped.  If the TIgers had won the WS in 2012 or 2013 maybe that would have.... but for now it's gotta be this era team.

2 hours ago, Oblong said:

Even though I identify as a Tiger fan much more than a Pistons fan... the Bad Boys era was the most fun I ever had as a fan.  The 84 Tigers... I was only 11 at the time.  But the 87-91 Pistons-I was in my formative sports fan years.  I'm not sure it would ever be topped.  If the TIgers had won the WS in 2012 or 2013 maybe that would have.... but for now it's gotta be this era team.

I was 11 ish during the bad boys era. I remember watching the finals and going to a few games, but was too young to really experience that. My formative years in the 90s didn't have much in the way of successful pro teams. The lions were probably the closest thing.

the going to work Pistons were a lot of fun, and I lived in LA at the time, so I followed them from national perspective which was kind of fun. But probably not as fun as being in town. Although buying mini champagne bottles at the bar in front of the lakers fans was pretty sweet. 

For me it's probably still the Tigers of 2006-2014. The lack of a championship doesn't hurt that much. 

28 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I was 11 ish during the bad boys era. I remember watching the finals and going to a few games, but was too young to really experience that. My formative years in the 90s didn't have much in the way of successful pro teams

Except for three Stanley Cup appearances, two championship trophies, Stevie Y, Sergei and the Russian 5, Nick Lidstrom, the Grind Line, Wings/Avs epic clashes, etc . . .

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Except for three Stanley Cup appearances, two championship trophies, Stevie Y, Sergei and the Russian 5, Nick Lidstrom, the Grind Line, Wings/Avs epic clashes, etc . . .

Oh my god. I honestly forgot that the red wings existed. 

It's been a rough couple days. 

Obviously that team and era are tops for me (now that I remember). I watched almost every game from 93-2001. I was in Arizona at the end of 96 as they were going for the record, and I had my grandfather subscribe to the DIRECTV package so I could watch one of the games. 

The fact that I completely lapsed on that is inexcusable. 

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Shelton did say "formative", which would have put him around 20 when the Wings were winning Cups.

I was 18 for the 97 cup, which coincided with my high school graduation. The years leading up to it coincided with my high school years. I was pretty obsessed with them during that time. 

I remember going to my friend's house after school during the 94-95 work stoppage and turning on espn every day just to hear the latest news. 

8 hours ago, Buddha said:

he had a strange obsession with william bedford too.

My high school squad used to play summer league against Detroit and Oakland County teams at the OCC/Union Lake campus.  One time Bedford was there working out on the court with a couple of what I assumed were Pistons staff, and it was one of the most amazing things I had ever seen . . . and I saw a little bit of Webber at that time, as we were the same age.  

Bedford was raining down NBA 3's like layups, roaming the paint like a panther and jumping like Salley used to when he was young.  It was pretty easy to see what Jack saw in Bedford, just that nobody could keep  him playing inspired basketball for long periods of time.

It seemed like Jack knew the Hawks wanted Koncak back pretty bad, so he stuck it to them with an offer sheet that was high but not out of this world.  When Atlanta gave him considerably more, Jack had to be pretty happy about it.

One other thing, the Hawks were a really good squad back then with Wilking-Willis-Rivers-Theus-Malone.  Battle, Levingston and Carr with Koncak made up one of the better benches in the NBA.  That team was no joke back then, and it was a formidable matchup even for teams like Detroit and Boston.  

An upgrade over Koncak and maybe it is enough to get ATL into an ECF at some point.  Thanks Jack!

10 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

My high school squad used to play summer league against Detroit and Oakland County teams at the OCC/Union Lake campus.  One time Bedford was there working out on the court with a couple of what I assumed were Pistons staff, and it was one of the most amazing things I had ever seen . . . and I saw a little bit of Webber at that time, as we were the same age.  

Bedford was raining down NBA 3's like layups, roaming the paint like a panther and jumping like Salley used to when he was young.  It was pretty easy to see what Jack saw in Bedford, just that nobody could keep  him playing inspired basketball for long periods of time.

Yeah, Bedford was pretty gifted.  Just didn't give a ****.

9 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

For sure.  

Similarly, I always wondered how good Benoit Benjamin and Joe Barry-Carroll would have been with an attitude adjustment.

25 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

For sure.  

Similarly, I always wondered how good Benoit Benjamin and Joe Barry-Carroll would have been with an attitude adjustment.

cough andre drummond cough

38 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

oh he gave a ****.  about cocaine.

• Like 1