Motor City Sonics

Is it over?

1,567 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

It can't be.  We must have a competitive team again before I die.

Will you still be alive in 2022 or 2023 ? 

Team ERA 5.14     Wow, that is brutal.    Only the Reds are worse.    Reds - what a bunch of Commies. 

41 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I'm not making any bets on it........

2 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

I'm not making any bets on it........

With Dombrowski at the helm I'd say maybe 2019 or 2020, not with Al.  Some guys can be great at 2nd in command and not be "the guy".   

5 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

In the year 2525, if man is still alive, if woman can survive, the Tigers may be through the rebuild.

1 person likes this

27 minutes ago, 1776 said:

In the year 2525, if man is still alive, if woman can survive, the Tigers may be through the rebuild.

The Lions still won't have won a playoff game though...

1 person likes this

28 minutes ago, Blue Square Thing said:

The Lions still won't have won a playoff game though...

People can be cruel.

I'd say 2020 is reasonable, assuming player development goes okay.

Faedo and Burrows should be ready to be effective by then. Fulmer and JV should either still be on the team or they will have been dealt for prospects that could help (if JV isn't dealt by then I'd extend him if he's healthy). Maybe Norris figures something out by then and is good. Manning and Funkhouser should be funking around as well. Starting pitching will be the key, if things go right they could have a good staff, if guys fade away, not so much. But they do have a lot of guys that could be good.

A few of the bullpen arms in the minors should also be established by then as well, so they could have a lot of pitching depth.

Harder to say about the lineup. They have some young vets that could still be here or not--Iggy, Mahtook, Nick, McCann. Also a good quantity of infield prospects that aren't sure things, but you'd think 1 or 2 of them will be okay--Candelario, Paredes, Lugo, Pereira. King and some other real young guys shortstops might be lurking as well. And Miggy might have figured his health and swing out by then as well and could still be a force. Outfield is ???? Upton and Mahtook may or may not be here and effective. Stewart and Gerber are no sure things and not high-end guys but you never know.

16 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

McCannon will be the manager by 2020

Random thought on the manager, I have to imagine is spitting food in Al's ear about Ausmus being a good manager. I guess we'll see in the off-season.

On 8/26/2017 at 6:25 AM, Shelton said:

I think it's probably over now. 

I was looking at the second wild card team in the AL again this morning and recalling my discussion with @Casimir and @chasfh  

It has been more that two months since that discussion, and we still have no team take control of that second wild card. 

I think at the moment, the twins are projected to go 82-80, which is the fifth best projected record in the AL. 

This season is madness. And the tigers really picked the wrong season to fall short of a .500 projection. 

I would have thought one of the seven teams clustered within three games for the last couple of months would have busted through with at least a .530-something record by now. It makes logical sense at least one would. Maybe one still will. Who knows.

I was talking with a few other guys about deadline deals and they expressed disappointment that only the Royals made any serious buying move at the deadline (such as it was). They thought more of those clustered teams should have bought because once you get into the playoffs, anything can happen, right? I thought it made sense that most teams sat back though—after all, why liquidate the best of your farm system in an effort to be the one out of seven teams to finish .515 and play a one game win-or-go-home playoff? Unless you think your haul will help you contend next year, anything serious would seem to me like an overpay for a lottery ticket.

I think the moment I realized that it was over was when Wilson blew that save in KC like 6 weeks ago or something.  It was after Mahtook hit a go ahead HR, if we won that game I believed we would've only been like 4 games back of the division but then Wilson came on and blew it and KC went on to win like 8 straight after that.   It was that loss where apathy just really set in with me. 

Oh yeah, it's over for a long, long time.   Hopefully the new owners can bring something close to the excitement Mr. I did.   

Come on guys, it was over the second Brad Ausmus went to Hernan Perez as his last hope in a playoff game...........

Rebuilds are hard. The Lions have been rebuilding for 50 years. The Pistons are coming up on a decade. The Wings are starting a long overdue rebuild. The Tigers are starting a slightly less overdue one. Over the next 3 years, we'll probably be lucky to scratch out a total of 3 playoff appearances by the 4 Detroit teams combined.

Well at least there's UM football and MSU basketball.