Motor City Sonics

Is it over?

1,543 posts in this topic

If you take away the Tigers worst 49 games this year, they're a runaway favorite for the Series. It's that easy. Also, K-Rod would have 0 blown saves and still be closing for the team.

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

Ballmich just Porcelloed the bullpen.  If you take away his worst four starts....

To be fair, we did take away Sanchez and krod from the bullpen.

Not sure whether the bullpen since they were cut loose is close to top five or not. But I can say I'm not particularly nervous about a 1 run lead in the seventh these days. 

And I guess it is worth saying that heading into the season krod wasn't exactly a huge red flag or a guy that was likely to hurt the bullpen. Or maybe he was. I'm sure there were some that were terrified of him. But he pitched pretty well last year with old man velocity so I thought he could do it again. 

The question marks to me were more about guys like Wilson, wilson, rondon, Greene. Each of them had good stretches and bad stretches. At the moment they seem to be doing alright. 

2 minutes ago, Shelton said:

To be fair, we did take away Sanchez and krod from the bullpen.

Not sure whether the bullpen since they were cut loose is close to top five or not. But I can say I'm not particularly nervous about a 1 run lead in the seventh these days. 

And I guess it is worth saying that heading into the season krod wasn't exactly a huge red flag or a guy that was likely to hurt the bullpen. Or maybe he was. I'm sure there were some that were terrified of him. But he pitched pretty well last year with old man velocity so I thought he could do it again. 

The question marks to me were more about guys like Wilson, wilson, rondon, Greene. Each of them had good stretches and bad stretches. At the moment they seem to be doing alright. 

So, when their pretty good guys go through a good stretch, they are top 5 at that moment.  

6 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

So, when their pretty good guys go through a good stretch, they are top 5 at that moment.  

No. I'm saying that from the time they removed Sanchez and krod, it's possible they could end up a top five bullpen. Their performance (I think) has been pretty good since that happened. At least that is how it feels. And I think it has a lot to do with the guys I mentioned having pitched well recently. 

2 minutes ago, Shelton said:

No. I'm saying that from the time they removed Sanchez and krod, it's possible they could end up a top five bullpen. Their performance (I think) has been pretty good since that happened. At least that is how it feels. And I think it has a lot to do with the guys I mentioned having pitched well recently. 

It does not feel to me as if the Tigers have gone through an extended stretch this season where their bullpen could be considered top 5.  It seems that their bullpen has sucked most of the season.  There was even a post k-Rod period where all the relievers were pitching poorly at the same time.  It has been OK recently, but pretty much every team's bullpen does OK for a while.  

I just got some bullpen numbers from FanGraphs.  Here are the Tigers bullpen FIPs by month:

April 5.73

May 4.56

June 4.87

July 5.40

6 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

It does not feel to me as if the Tigers have gone through an extended stretch this season where their bullpen could be considered top 5.  It seems that their bullpen has sucked most of the season.  There was even a post k-Rod period where all the relievers were pitching poorly at the same time.  It has been OK recently, but pretty much every team's bullpen does OK for a while.  

I agree. 

And in looking at the numbers, they haven't been as good overall recently as I thought. 

Anyway, I don't blame ballmich for being optimistic about the bullpen. It had potential to be good. Nothing wrong with a bold prediction. 

Just now, tiger337 said:

I just got some bullpen numbers from FanGraphs.  Here are the Tigers bullpen FIPs by month:

April 5.73

May 4.56

June 4.87

July 5.40

Yep. No matter which time period you find, there are always a few guys that seem to have imploded over that time period. 

43 minutes ago, Shelton said:

But I can say I'm not particularly nervous about a 1 run lead in the seventh these days. 

Still depends too much on who had to work the previous two nights.

1 minute ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Still depends too much on who had to work the previous two nights.

That's pretty much the case with most bullpens, though. For the Tigers of the past few years, it was hard to have confidence in a one run lead in the first game back from the all star break. 

Anyway, who is the new closer after JW is traded? I think it should be Greene. But I could also see handing it to rondon and seeing what happens. 

5 minutes ago, Shelton said:

That's pretty much the case with most bullpens, though. For the Tigers of the past few years, it was hard to have confidence in a one run lead in the first game back from the all star break. 

Anyway, who is the new closer after JW is traded? I think it should be Greene. But I could also see handing it to rondon and seeing what happens. 

When both are on their game, I'd prefer Rondon's heat at the end of a game over Greene, but I think Rondon's probability of being on his game is still too low. Of course the other thing with Rondon is whether he is the guy in the clubhouse they want him to be yet. We don't see that end. I wouldn't give him the closer's job if he is still being un-serious about his work.

29 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I agree. 

And in looking at the numbers, they haven't been as good overall recently as I thought. 

Anyway, I don't blame ballmich for being optimistic about the bullpen. It had potential to be good. Nothing wrong with a bold prediction. 

Nothing wrong at all with bold predictions, especially positive ones.  I am just teasing.  Given how volatile reliever performance is though, I think most bullpens have the potential to be good.

4 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

When both are on their game, I'd prefer Rondon's heat at the end of a game over Greene, but I think Rondon's probability of being on his game is still too low. Of course the other thing with Rondon is whether he is the guy in the clubhouse they want him to be yet. We don't see that end. I wouldn't give him the closer's job if he is still being un-serious about his work.

True. But I wonder about whether making him "the man" would be a good way to keep him dialed in. 

After the JD trade, my firm unequivocal answer to the tile of this thread is, "Yes!"

5 games back in the AL Central and Wildcard.  70 games to play.

We also passed Toronto in the wildcard standings.

19 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Yes, but how many teams do they still have to pass?

Well, not Toronto.

Yankees trailing Minnesota 6-0 in the 7th. Tigers are about to be 4.5 games behind the 2nd wildcard spot, held by a team 12 games under .500 since June12.