Motor City Sonics

Is it over?

1,543 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Only because they are all relievers now.  

Yep. 

It was over when Ausmus took Sanchez out of the playoff game in Baltimore.   Been over since then...... 

7 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

It was over when Ausmus took Sanchez out of the playoff game in Baltimore.   Been over since then...... 

Actually, it was over when our trade for Andrew Miller with Boston fell though. Been over since then.....

It's been over since the Ortiz home run.  

1 person likes this

I actually think a few tweaks could save the season but it won't happen.  The tweaks I would try...sacrifice defense for offense at third base and centerfield (whether by trade or farm system), keep Cabrera at DH and rotate Avila and Victor at first base, and go with a closer by committee so we can use Wilson and Wilson in our highest leverage situations.

I know the trade thing is easier said than done.  One guy I would call on is Jackie Bradley Jr.  I am sure the price would be steep but his BA is way down this year so their may be a buying opportunity there.  Boston has enough athleticism out there to sacrifice him and they are currently last in the AL in home runs.  The Tigers have some power that could help them replace Ortiz.  Upton or Martinez + Castellanos for Bradley + something else in return.  

If the Ilitch kids are willing to spend some money, I don't think we're going to see a full rebuild for a long time, if ever. I think we'll continue to see the Tigers be players in the free agent market. It may not get them a World Series, but I think we'll be at least in playoff contention for the foreseeable future. I'm glad it's not my money... But seriously... There is a bit of good young talent at the major league level and a bit in the minors. When you couple that with the established veterans and any other slightly-past-their prime veterans that we bring in, this team is built to lose one of the wild card games into the next decade. 

9 hours ago, tiger337 said:

It's been over since the Ortiz home run.  

It was over when JV gave up that first home run to Sandoval. 

Did it ever really start?

10 hours ago, Hart said:

I actually think a few tweaks could save the season but it won't happen.  The tweaks I would try...sacrifice defense for offense at third base and centerfield (whether by trade or farm system), keep Cabrera at DH and rotate Avila and Victor at first base, and go with a closer by committee so we can use Wilson and Wilson in our highest leverage situations.

I know the trade thing is easier said than done.  One guy I would call on is Jackie Bradley Jr.  I am sure the price would be steep but his BA is way down this year so their may be a buying opportunity there.  Boston has enough athleticism out there to sacrifice him and they are currently last in the AL in home runs.  The Tigers have some power that could help them replace Ortiz.  Upton or Martinez + Castellanos for Bradley + something else in return.  

I'm not sure about Avila and MartinezV at 1B.  I suppose adding Cabrera into that mix such that you've really got 4 guys in the mix for C/1B/DH would save some wear and tear a bit more on MartinezV.  I just don't know about his defensive chops for more than once or twice a week.

I don't mind floating Castellanos for the fact that I just don't know he long he is a non1B/DH option on a team that has other issues on defense.  But moving him now while he is struggling seems to not be the best idea.  Now, maybe if you move a package with him for something around Bradley and Jones can hack it at 3B, maybe it helps shore up the defense at two spots and Bradley's bat kicks back in and Jones can muster enough offense.  But Boston also has Sandoval and Ramirez on long term deals and no reason to remove Moreland from the lineup right now.  So I'm not sure that there is an opening in Boston for Castellanos.

10 hours ago, Hart said:

when Upton is on a roll he hits a lot of line shot HRs. I bet he'd end up with a lot of really hard singles off the wall in Boston.

With Sanchez banished to Toledo, it really helps the narrative that this year is still in play for playoff baseball.  

--People were kicking dirt on Greene and trying to bury Greene alive just a month ago--now he's pitching like a legit force.  

--Victor was looking incapable at the plate a month ago, now he is handling the bat well again.  

--JD just got AL Player of the Week.  

--Norris turned in a really nice effort against one of the best lineups in baseball last night.  

--Zimmerman still isn't quite his old self, but that ERA has trickled down below 6 and he's gone 6 IP the last two starts.  He hasn't shown any signs of a complete turn-around, but it is still early.

--Iggy turned in a nice day at the plate, and logic says his average will bounce back towards .250 or so.  Doesn't sound like much, but his hits at the bottom of the order make a difference.

--Greene, AWilson, JWilson, Bell and Hardy have combined to give us the back-end performance we've wanted for a long time and they all need to be on the roster at the same time.  Figure it out, Avila.

--With a JV win tonight, the team would be an even .500 after 46 games.  The Tigers have reached this mark with Miggy missing a dozen games and OPSing just .789.  I am confident that Miggy and JV still have their best baseball of the season ahead of them.

There are signs of life here, and there are players not in the lineup right now that have perhaps more to give the team in the months forward.  It could be argued that the team is a CF away from winning the division--which, by the way, is looking very winnable at the moment.  How would the Tigers get an everyday CF?  Do they already have one in Romine, and Jones needs to be brought up to fill Romine's utility role?  Or does Avila need to part with either Manning or Burrows and possibly a roster player in a trade?  Could McCann be traded and not missed in a package like that?  How do teams feel about LaBourt's rapid progress this year?

If they want to do something about the CF situation, it needs to be well-ahead of the deadline IMO.  What would a Christian Yelich trade look like?  Miami is going nowhere this year and their staff is pretty banged up/not good.  The possibility may be remote, but worth exploring none the less.  It may be a good outlet for a JD deal, and at least there are some corner OF possibilites within our system that could conceivably help this year.  Big gamble, but it is kind of now or never.

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, Shelton said:

False. As Wil Rhymes astutely pointed out, it was over when Leyland didn't pinch run vs. Texas.

37 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

What would a Christian Yelich trade look like? 

Fulmer

@mickeyb105 I do think a JD trade midseason could be a possibility without sacrificing this season. You would need to find the perfect trade partner that is a contender that needs JD this season, while having an expendable CF available that would be a clear upgrade on what we have. 

For that reason, I think they need to get Jacoby back up here to see what they have. 

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, Shelton said:

For that reason, I think they need to get Jacoby back up here to see what they have. 

this x10

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, Shelton said:

I'd say it was the triple to Sandoval in the ASG that year.... that set up home field for the WS... yada yada yada

It was over when that jabroni Anthony Reyes went 8 innings in game 1.

in my dreams, farmer will demonstrate that he can be as good as Boyd, castellanos will improve, and the Tigers trade nick and Matt plus a good prospect or two for josh Donaldson. 

Fundamentally, the Tigers chances of victory in the great war were over when they signed the Zimmermann telegram

We all know it was really over when we drafted Andy Stankiewicz and he never signed.

It was over when Granderson slipped and fell. 

It was over before that. It was over when verlander gave up the homer to pujols in game 1. Or maybe even in the bottom of the first when pudge made the third out with runners on 2nd and 3rd. 

I left that game early when it was 7-1 and was home before it ended. 

It was over when Darrell Evans got thrown out at third base.  

The Tigers won last night.  So does that mean it's over being over?

I like Yelich a lot, but don't think he's a need.  Pretty set in the OF with JD and Upton and some combination in CF.  Stewart and Gerber are close.  Also not ready to give up on Castellanos yet.

If we could shore up the bullpen with two arms to complement the Wilson Bros and Greene, I'd feel a lot better.