Tenacious D

There is a lot of goodness

BP put out their top 50 mid-season prospect list. Manning just missed apparently.

(from the comments):

rdf8585

Great list, love the format of why they might succeed and fail.

But I wonder, did anyone go to bat for Matt Manning and his reported front of the rotation upside? In a recent chat, Jarrett Seidler said the recent reports on Manning were "kind of crazy."

I'm also curious what separates guys like Groome and Morejon from Manning?

Jul 06, 2017 03:26 AM

BP staff member Jeffrey Paternostro
BP staff
(37886)

Manning was discussed and he has a case to be in around, say, Riley Pint. The major issue for him was really just timing. It was a very short pro track record at the time we were putting the list together. I live 45 minutes from
Norwich so this is the kind of thing that will resolve itself over the balance of the season. Honestly there isn't much separating him from the guys at the back of the Top 50, and he' still probably somewhere in the next 10-15 guys as it is. Just didn't have enough info to get him on at the time.

I trust that these prospect writers and scouts are good at what they do, but comments like that really illustrate how hollow some of these lists and rankings can be. 

I just want to see an updated list of Tigers prospects. I want to know where Stewart and manning and burrows and funkhouser and faedo and others stack up relative to each other. 

Manning is so raw, and only just started pitching in real games. Is he really a clearly better prospect than burrows or faedo or funkhouser? 

25 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I trust that these prospect writers and scouts are good at what they do, but comments like that really illustrate how hollow some of these lists and rankings can be. 

I just want to see an updated list of Tigers prospects. I want to know where Stewart and manning and burrows and funkhouser and faedo and others stack up relative to each other. 

Manning is so raw, and only just started pitching in real games. Is he really a clearly better prospect than burrows or faedo or funkhouser? 

I think in general it'd be Manning, Faedo/Burrows, Stewart/Funkhouser. You will probably have individual scouts that would do something a bit different, but I'm pretty sure that's what the consensus would be.

A lot of rankings depend on how you view ceiling vs. floor. Manning hasn't pitched much and is 4 levels away from MLB, but his stuff is as good or better than about any 19y/o, and he will be better than the other pitchers if things go as planned.

Burrows and Funkhouser do not have near ace upside that I can tell, unless something changes (didn't think Fulmer had that upside either but here we are. Maybe if the Funk gets healthy and his stuff immediately dominates AA like he has A and AA, and the sprite that gave Fulmer his instant plus-changeup appears, his narrative could change. Burrows was slicing through Lakeland this year but has struggled a bit in Erie). But those two are likely to pitch in MLB in a year or two at the rate they are going if they stay healthy, so that floor helps them.

Stewart has power and patience, but his upside is limited by his lack of defense/having to play at a weak position. ****, maybe some ranker out there thinks Gerber has a higher upside and/or floor because he can play defense.

My personal opinion is I'd like to see Stewart dealt to a place like Boston, Houston or Philly where he could play in a small LF.

Prospect for prospect trades are rare, but Stewart is not a fit for Comerica and a team with Victor and Miggy on it.

And I'd still love to see Billy Hamilton. He's not hitting this year and is in arbitration, so maybe he would be available next off-season. But I reckon the Tigers brass will hope that Jacoby can hit at Billy levels next year.

Speaking of, it'll be interesting to see where Jacoby is ranked in the prospect listings. Bat gets downgraded, but I think the way he's played CF will give him an upgrade defensively--there wasn't much data on that pre-season.

Just now, Microline133 said:

We should have an updated Tigers ranking at TigsTown next week. 

Cool. Looking forward to seeing the list. 

I assume Jimenez still has prospect status. 

Will the top six be manning, faedo, burrows, Stewart, funkhouser, and Jimenez in some order?

17 minutes ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

My personal opinion is I'd like to see Stewart dealt to a place like Boston, Houston or Philly where he could play in a small LF.

Prospect for prospect trades are rare, but Stewart is not a fit for Comerica and a team with Victor and Miggy on it.

And I'd still love to see Billy Hamilton. He's not hitting this year and is in arbitration, so maybe he would be available next off-season.

I don't know that we need to worry too much about Stewart. 2018 is likely to be a lost cause so forcing him to play right field or something for a portion of next season because we still have Victor isn't the worst thing. If he is a butcher out there they can send him back to Toledo. And Victor will be gone after 2018 if Stewart just can't handle playing the outfield. I don't think Cabrera needs to move off first any time soon.

11 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I don't know that we need to worry too much about Stewart. 2018 is likely to be a lost cause so forcing him to play right field or something for a portion of next season because we still have Victor isn't the worst thing. If he is a butcher out there they can send him back to Toledo. And Victor will be gone after 2018 if Stewart just can't handle playing the outfield. I don't think Cabrera needs to move off first any time soon.

I'd still like to trade him for something that's a better fit for our ballpark. Too many qualifiers for me--playing defense in a big ballpark decreases his value, and then needing Miggy to stick at 1B long term if you want to move him off.

But I understand you can't wish trades, so nothing wrong with building or maintaining his value and giving him a chance in Detroit when the time comes.

3 minutes ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

I'd still like to trade him for something that's a better fit for our ballpark. Too many qualifiers for me--playing defense in a big ballpark decreases his value, and then needing Miggy to stick at 1B long term if you want to move him off.

But I understand you can't wish trades, so nothing wrong with building or maintaining his value and giving him a chance in Detroit when the time comes.

If we were buyers, he's a guy that would probably fit nicely into a package at the deadline. Unfortunately that isn't the case. Maybe he's a candidate to be traded down the line.

But who knows. Still a ways to go until we have to worry about how he fits. 

If someone wants to swap a different prospect for him, it could work. We were able to turn Garcia into Iglesias because Garcia didn't really fit at the time and we needed a SS, so those types of trades are out there.

57 minutes ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

Speaking of, it'll be interesting to see where Jacoby is ranked in the prospect listings. Bat gets downgraded, but I think the way he's played CF will give him an upgrade defensively--there wasn't much data on that pre-season.

Jacoby seems to working on his plate discipline the last week or so. 7 walks in his last 37 AB

Just now, Gehringer_2 said:

Jacoby seems to working on his plate discipline the last week or so. 7 walks in his last 37 AB

That's certainly the biggest area he needs to improve. Too many strikeouts, not enough walks, mostly due to swinging at bad pitches (at least at the MLB level). Improving that plate discipline will help him with both.

1 hour ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

I wouldn't say his bat has been down-graded at this point. Frankly, the offensive ability he showed this year is precisely how his bat projected by the overwhelming majority of scouts - myself included - heading into the year. 

Defensively, adding CF tobgis resume is good and achieves the necessary versatility he needs to become a quality reserve at the big league level. That's what he is.

12 minutes ago, Microline133 said:

I wouldn't say his bat has been down-graded at this point. Frankly, the offensive ability he showed this year is precisely how his bat projected by the overwhelming majority of scouts - myself included - heading into the year. 

Defensively, adding CF tobgis resume is good and achieves the necessary versatility he needs to become a quality reserve at the big league level. That's what he is.

I thought he'd do a little better than striking out like half the time in MLB. But your point is well taken. He always had a lot of work to do with the bat to become more than a bench player. A good spring and opening day home run kinda made me forget that.

10 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

He needs to work on having a hotter mom.

When he has kids, maybe he'll be blessed with daughters like those of Flip Saunders.

After a rough go-around in his previous start, Matt Manning went six innings last night. 0 ER, 6 H, 3 K, 1 BB. I haven't looked at reports yet, but that sounds like he was working on something other than blowing guys away. 

Well, baseball America released a new top 100, and faedo is highest rated at 52. Manning and burrows are neck and neck at 78, 79. Stewart probably isn't far behind. 19 home runs and an OPS over 900 in AA. Hopefully he gets moved to AAA soon. 

45 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Well, baseball America released a new top 100, and faedo is highest rated at 52. Manning and burrows are neck and neck at 78, 79. Stewart probably isn't far behind. 19 home runs and an OPS over 900 in AA. Hopefully he gets moved to AAA soon. 

I would LOVE to see him moved up to Toledo this week since I'll be at Friday's game next week :)

Living in the Toledo area it's always been maddening to me how few of the true prospects we get to see for any amount of time. We got Castellanos for a full year but that is NOT the norm for the way Detroit has handled their youngsters.

And the improbable story of Anthony Gose continues in Florida:

last 5 outings, 6.1 IP, 10K, 1H, 1BB, WHIP = 0.32

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

And the improbable story of Anthony Gose continues in Florida:

last 5 outings, 6.1 IP, 10K, 1H, 1BB, WHIP = 0.32

And now on the DL with an elbow issue. 

2 hours ago, Shelton said:

shows what i know! i thought manning would be a clear #1 for the tigers!

faedo that high to me means he got upgraded for his CWS run after the draft. ah, the comments say exactly that:

John Manuel Mod carpengui 2 hours ago

More information, more feedback. We never stop gathering the information! We also moved Alex Faedo up, because he pitched exceptionally well later in the season, in the postseason, after the draft rankings were finalized.

7 hours ago, Walewander said:

After a rough go-around in his previous start, Matt Manning went six innings last night. 0 ER, 6 H, 3 K, 1 BB. I haven't looked at reports yet, but that sounds like he was working on something other than blowing guys away. 

I was thinking that myself looking at the box score. i was expecting tons of ks, but working away from your strengths is how you develop!

Note that he only went 1 inning his previous start because it got rained out.

4 minutes ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

shows what i know! i thought manning would be a clear #1 for the tigers!

faedo that high to me means he got upgraded for his CWS run after the draft. ah, the comments say exactly that:

If I remember correctly BA was always much higher on Faedo than other places even before the draft.  I believe they had him in their top 10 before the draft while others had him in the 20-30 range.