Tenacious D

There is a lot of goodness

362 posts in this topic

8. Matt Hall, LHP, Tigers (23)
3004.pngDouble-A Erie (Eastern)

Matt Hall is an acquired taste. He doesn’t blow hitters away with big fastball. In fact, his fastball could be described as a tick light. But his curveball is a pitch that has baffled hitters for years. He’s had to nibble a little more in Double-A, which may be a long-term concern, but his curveball still gets swings and misses, which should get him to the big leagues eventually.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/prospect-hot-sheet-aug-25-a/

2 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

Hall's up to #8?  I'm happy for him but I'm not sure what that says about the rest of our SP prospects?

ah sorry, that's not his ranking. that article was just 20 prospects that had good weeks, i thought the scouting analysis was just interesting.

he's like 20 or something i believe on the tigers. loogy type (which we could use).

where have you gone, jamie walker?

1 minute ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

ah sorry, that's not his ranking. that article was just 20 prospects that had good weeks, i thought the scouting analysis was just interesting.

he's like 20 or something i believe on the tigers. loogy type (which we could use).

where have you gone, jamie walker?

Gotcha, I feel a little better--lol.

Random note: Wenceel Perez was I believe the Tigers biggest intl FA signing a year or two back.

Still at the DSL, and has 0 power so far, but he is batting .314 with 27 BB, 21 K, and 16 SB. Shortstop, switch hitter, 17 y/o.

1 person likes this

Jose "The Lawler" King is putting up some nice numbers since coming over from the DBacks...there were some who said he was the real target from the Tigers POV in the JD trade. Shows no power right now, but as he matures and gets stronger...be interesting to see if he keeps that + speed while adding some xtra base power.

C Sam McMillan is putting up a nice .291/.440/.436 line in the GCL.  Can see why they went over slot to get him...he has a real nice swing (there's video online at 20/80 baseball)

52 minutes ago, Lei Pong said:

Jose "The Lawler" King is putting up some nice numbers since coming over from the DBacks...there were some who said he was the real target from the Tigers POV in the JD trade. Shows no power right now, but as he matures and gets stronger...be interesting to see if he keeps that + speed while adding some xtra base power.

C Sam McMillan is putting up a nice .291/.440/.436 line in the GCL.  Can see why they went over slot to get him...he has a real nice swing (there's video online at 20/80 baseball)

These 2 guys do seem like they were targeted by the FO. You mentioned the King rumors, and they did take a lot of underslot guys in the draft to pay McMillan. He could easily be the guy they like 2nd best after Faedo.

I'm not that familiar with how high school prospects typically handle a league like the GCL, but I can't imagine it's that common for one to simultaneously show good patience, a low K-rate, and some power.

On 8/25/2017 at 3:28 PM, Who is the Drizzle? said:

Random note: Wenceel Perez was I believe the Tigers biggest intl FA signing a year or two back.

Still at the DSL, and has 0 power so far, but he is batting .314 with 27 BB, 21 K, and 16 SB. Shortstop, switch hitter, 17 y/o.

I like it, thanks for an update on a kid  most of us forgot about.

Baseball America has released an updated org ranking. Unfortunately the entire list is behind a paywall. The first seven teams are listed, obviously not including the tigers. 

I could see them being somewhere in the teens. 

4 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Baseball America has released an updated org ranking. Unfortunately the entire list is behind a paywall. The first seven teams are listed, obviously not including the tigers. 

I could see them being somewhere in the teens. 

If BA would let me subscribe, I could give you some hints.  They keep saying my password is wrong.  I'll let you know!

2 people like this