Tenacious D

There is a lot of goodness

307 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

It has some value, no doubt. However, there is probably more value in selling him.

Hard to say. Opposing scouts will have the same information we do. What could we expect to get in return for a flawed prospect? He would be a good piece in a package, but right now we aren't exactly buyers. Maybe packaging him with a veteran to get a better prospect than we would get for just the veteran. 

We can package him with Fulmer in order to dump Verlander's salary. - Buster Olney

16 minutes ago, pyrotigers said:

What's really fun about this is that (if it's anything like the ones I've played) you can get a lot of value out of guys who have one good year and then drop off the face of the earth. It's amazing how many players there are of that nature as well. Brennan Boesch might look pretty tantalizing in such a draft.

The last time I played a game like this it started in 1962, and I was able to pick up Joe Bonikowski in the mid rounds. Did he provide a lot of value in real life? Nope, but he was a lot more useful than the vast majority of players making their MLB debuts that season.

Which really just supports your point. Even a lot of top draft picks that make it in MLB have pretty short careers. The guys who last as average or above starters for the long term are very rare

I edited my post to include Boesch, coincidentally.

In a league when you know which season a guy will both have a great season and fills a team need absolutely has value.

In MLB it has value, but mostly only if it happens to coincide with the team being good enough to make the post-season that particular year.

17 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Hard to say. Opposing scouts will have the same information we do. What could we expect to get in return for a flawed prospect? He would be a good piece in a package, but right now we aren't exactly buyers. Maybe packaging him with a veteran to get a better prospect than we would get for just the veteran. 

Yah, you would have to be willing to buy someone or partake in that latter scenario. I think either would be smart. Teams include flawed prospects in deals all the time and get value in return. You have to sell guys like Stewart or Derek Hill before its too late IMO, that's part of managing a farm system well. Casty and a few prospects for Machado it is...

if a guy in the high minors did NOT need to make any adjustments, would he not be playing in the majors?

So where will Paredes be ranked entering next season? An 18-year old (and not an old 18; his birthday is February 1999) posting an OPS of almost .800 at A ball? With 11 HRs, a walk percentage of 8% and only 56Ks in 431 PA he has matched, or exceeded, the profile of many of this year's top 25 prospects, when they were 18. For me, he's the most exciting positional prospect the Tigers have had in years. Cabrera was not this good at 18 (he posted a .709 OPS at low A as an 18 year old). I get he isn't an elite defender and will probably not stick at SS. But I wonder if he could transition to 2nd base? I wonder if Microline has seen him play and if there are any glaring red flags relating to his hitting ability. 

Paredes has a chance to be the best prospect on the system by the middle of next year. He's going to hit, though I question the ultimate power ceiling...maybe more fringe than average or better. He's not a lost cause at SS despite the body at a young age, but it's likely he slides to one side or the other. 

3 people like this

I wonder if Paredes is related to this guy?

60197-1941Fr.jpg

Those contracts that Pujols and Cabrera got, and that Trout and Harper will get?  Paredes will eventually get one of those.

Beau Burrows with a stellar start at Erie--6 IP, 0 hits, 0 runs, 2 BB, 8 K's.

1 person likes this

Paredes was 0-for 3 tonight, with 3 K's.  He avoided the sombrero by getting a walk.  Still, he seems like a pretty nice hitter who can hold his own at short so far.  I think that it is fair to say that no one is blocking him.

10 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Beau Burrows with a stellar start at Erie--6 IP, 0 hits, 0 runs, 2 BB, 8 K's.

Parrish being very careful to limit his workload...apparently took a lot of heat from the crowd in Erie for pulling him with a shutout going

41 minutes ago, Lei Pong said:

Parrish being very careful to limit his workload...apparently took a lot of heat from the crowd in Erie for pulling him with a shutout going

Actually, it was a no-hitter.

1 person likes this

31 minutes ago, Lei Pong said:

Per Erie beat writer Tom Reisenweber ...Parrish will try Lugo at 2nd base today as it may be his easiest path to Detroit 

This makes sense--already have Candelario and likely, Paredes, at 3B, with Machado and Alcantara coming at SS.  No real 2B prospects in the pipeline, though I do like what Eaves has done offensively this season.  

6 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

This makes sense--already have Candelario and likely, Paredes, at 3B, with Machado and Alcantara coming at SS.  No real 2B prospects in the pipeline, though I do like what Eaves has done offensively this season.  

I like the idea of moving guys around in the minors, assuming they have the developmental skills to handle it.  I like the idea of looking at different options and also preparing guys to move around, if need be, once they reach the majors.

you can almost always move a SS (certainly always exceptions, but not that many) so if you have SSs in the system you don't need to worry about 2b very much.

Yes, SSs and CFs should be able to move to other IF and OF spots relatively easily.  The bats might not fit the prototypical mold.  Maybe the arm doesn't completely translate from CF to RF.  But it should be a smooth transition.  It's just probably better to have that experience before MLB, just to get some of the differences such as positioning and the angles of the balll off of the bat are worked out.

Maybe Bruce Rondon should have taken a hint when he saw his Players Weekend jersey nickname was 'Mudhen"

1 person likes this

13 hours ago, Casimir said:

Yes, SSs and CFs should be able to move to other IF and OF spots relatively easily.  The bats might not fit the prototypical mold.  Maybe the arm doesn't completely translate from CF to RF.  But it should be a smooth transition.  It's just probably better to have that experience before MLB, just to get some of the differences such as positioning and the angles of the balll off of the bat are worked out.

It's nice that of all the guys we got in the recent trades, it's pretty much candelario that is locked in to third base (or first if he can't handle it).  Paredes is still a shortstop for now. Lugo was a shortstop last season. King is a shortstop. Alcantara is a shortstop.  

Just because Arizona had moved Lugo to third from ss doesn't mean he can't handle 2b.  I'm glad they are trying him there and it makes perfect sense. 

Having Jeimer and Lugo at 3b and 2b in 2019 could be just fine. And I wouldn't be surprised if machado can hit and field enough to be a decent shortstop. 

It is going to be years before paredes or king reach the majors if they develop, so there is plenty of time to see how fill out and whether they can stick at ss. 

Not that the bar is that high but this is probably best the system has been since we traded for Cabrera. We may finally be out of the bottom third in the league.