Tenacious D

There is a lot of goodness

307 posts in this topic

…happening on the farm.  For the first time in years, I’m optimistic about some of our players that look like they could be legit—I think arguably, we might end up with 4 players in the top 100 prospects next year (Christen Stewart, Beau Burrows, Kyle Funkhouser and Matt Manning).  Each of those should be a big league regular—Stewart is setting himself up to be our LF next year if JD leaves, and we move Upton to RF.  Jiminez and Rondon (no longer a prospect) will likely be in the bullpen again before the end of the season.  Burrows and Funkhouser should be ready by 2019.   Gerber looks like a future 4th outfielder, with more upside than Tyler Collins.  We have some middle infield issues and no 1B prospect.  Would be great to address both of those in the upcoming draft. 

Here are links to each of our minor league team stats, with some players that are worth checking out:

Toledo—there really aren’t any prospects, except for Victor Alcantara and Joe Jiminez, but JaCoby Jones, Bruce Rondon and Buck Farmer are worth following:

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?t=t_ibp&cid=512&stn=true&sid=t512

Erie—our top position prospects, Stewart, Mike Gerber, as well as Jairo Labourt who has found some control.

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?t=t_ibp&cid=106&stn=true&sid=t106

Lakeland—not much for positional players (Zac Shepard, Jose Azocar and Arvicent Perez), but some good pitchers (Burrows, Funkhouser, Spencer Turnbull, Mark Ecker, Brian Garcia).  Kyle Dowdy has put up good stats, but not sure if he’ll turn out to be a Andy Van Kekken/ Tyler Alexander-type that gets exposed at the upper levels.

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?t=t_ibp&cid=570&stn=true&sid=t570

West Michigan—really like Cam Gibson.  Applied a new hitting approach that is starting to pay dividends—could be a 20/20 guy this year.  Jacob Robson is putting up a good batting average, but looks flawed otherwise.  Blaise Salter is tearing it up, but not sure how legit he is.  Gregory Soto looks good, as does Austin Sodders, though he might be another Tyler Alexander. Eduardo Jiminez putting up good stats, too.

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?t=t_ibp&cid=582&stn=true&sid=t582

2 people like this

CANT HANDLE SO MUCH OPTIMISM!!!    Seriously though I have been really excited about the step that Burrows has taken, atleast stats wise.  I'd be interested in Microline's take on him this year, like has his stuff been better and he has taken the next step or is it a flukey small sample size against sub par opponents?

LaBork is having a most surprising turnaround. I'm stunned. 38:5 K/BB ratio...no way did I see that as possible. I thought he'd do well to keep it under 5 BB/9; he has 5 BB in 23 innings! And obviously hasn't lost much in stuff to gain this control.

It's all about Funkhouser for me.  Funkhouser or bust.

I don't think I ever have, or ever will, pull harder for a prospect than I am for Marty's nephew.

Stewart won't be a legit major leaguer until he shortens his name to Chris.  

I'm hoping to see alcantara become something, mostly because he was the warm body we got in return for maybin. I was happy to be rid of him and contended that a lottery ticket relief arm was plenty in return. There seemed to be a lot of criticism of that deal, and that they got nothing in return for such an important player and we were just being cheap. 

Seeing maybin struggle to provide decent production warms my heart, and it would be the cherry on top if alcantara can carve out a role as major league reliever.

58 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

The walk-up music possibilities alone make him my favorite.

For those who can't handle the optimism, Turnbull just went back on the DL.  Wondered why he was lifted after 3 shutout innings yesterday.

18 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Stewart won't be a legit major leaguer until he shortens his name to Chris.  

Happiness scold.

59 minutes ago, TigerNation said:

I don't think I ever have, or ever will, pull harder for a prospect than I am for Marty's nephew.

a99f8700beade087880e0512a14e9907_mlb-dra

10 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Seeing maybin struggle to provide decent production warms my heart, and it would be the cherry on top if alcantara can carve out a role as major league reliever.

Maybin has a .370 OBP.  

3 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Maybin has a .370 OBP.  

Are you serious. When did that happen? I obviously have not been following him as closely as I thought. 

Awful trade. 

Maybin had an obp of 299 at the end of April. 

His walk rate in may 20%(!) and his may obp is 435. 

Maybin has 26 walks and 28 Ks this season. He had 36 and 68 last season. 

This is amazing. 

8 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Are you serious. When did that happen? I obviously have not been following him as closely as I thought. 

Awful trade. 

He has been on fire the past week.  

RE: Burrows.  I was just listening to this podcast about the upcoming MLB draft and they got sidetracked and started talking about some current prospects and Burrows got brought up.   The guy(I think it was Eric Longenhagen) said that he has added a 90mph slider/cutter to his mix that he has been getting a lot of swing and misses with to go with increased velocity.  He said that he is definitely going to be on a lot of people's mid season top 100 lists. 

Funkhouser with another great start.

His statline for the year...

LG	LEVEL	W	L	ERA	G	GS	CG	SHO	SV	SVO	IP	H	R	ER	HR	HB	BB	IBB	SO	AVG	WHIP	GO/AO
Minors 2017 [-]	-	Minors	4	1	2.60	9	9	0	0	0	0	45.0	39	15	13	4	2	13	0	68	.235	1.16	1.44

I couldn't get it to line up right, but you get the idea. 

I appreciate the effort, and I will probably look up the stats because of it, but I have a hard time getting the idea...

4 hours ago, Shelton said:

I appreciate the effort, and I will probably look up the stats because of it, but I have a hard time getting the idea...

4-1, 2.60 era, 15 bb/68 k's in 45 innings.  39 hits and 4 hr's.

given his age, he should be dominating low a ball.

/debbie downer

2 hours ago, Buddha said:

given his age, he should be dominating low a ball.

/debbie downer

He did dominate mid-A ball. He's now dominating high-A ball. Hopefully he dominates AA ball later this summer.

That will happen when you sign as a senior 

On 5/23/2017 at 0:25 PM, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I heard his dad watches his games with an empty seat next to him. 

1 person likes this

On 5/23/2017 at 1:39 PM, Shelton said:

Maybin had an obp of 299 at the end of April. 

His walk rate in may 20%(!) and his may obp is 435. 

Good at baseball.