ROMAD1

Gose Watch 2017

It also sounds like Gose as an outfielder is no longer a thing. 

It will be interesting to see how he does. 

29 minutes ago, Shelton said:

It also sounds like Gose as an outfielder is no longer a thing. 

It will be interesting to see how he does. 

The whole set-up in baseball doesn't really allow for guys to be two-way players. Heck if nobody from Babe Ruth to Earl Wilson to Madison Bumgarner who might have played two ways has ever managed it I guess it shouldn't surprising Gose may not either.

Just now, Gehringer_2 said:

The whole set-up in baseball doesn't really allow for guys to be two-way players. Heck if nobody from Babe Ruth to Earl Wilson to Madison Bumgarner who might have played two ways has ever managed it I guess it shouldn't surprising Gose may not either.

Indeed. Although with Gose basically fully cooked as an outfielder, I could have seen him playing the outfield on days where he wasn't expected to pitch just to stay fresh in that regard in the event he fails as a reliever. It's possible he was impressive enough as a pitcher that his best chance is as a pitcher. That would seem to be good news if true, because I think he could have still had a job as a major league outfielder somewhere. 

I love the idea of lightning in a bottle.  Lets hope.   

14 minutes ago, cruzer1 said:

1 inning, 1 hit, 1 run, 1 bb, 1 k.  FT losing 6-1.

99mph!  Still...not great first outing. 

2 minutes ago, ROMAD1 said:

99mph!  Still...not great first outing. 

That's great for me.  That's not a bad outing for never pitching professionally before.  99 is what matters most.

Just now, cruzer1 said:

That's great for me.  That's not a bad outing for never pitching professionally before.

aye...I'll grant you that.  

3 minutes ago, cruzer1 said:

That's great for me.  That's not a bad outing for never pitching professionally before.  99 is what matters most.

As inexperienced as he is, one walk while throwing 99 is damn promising.

On the radio this morning Avila said that their gun also said 99, although I still don't believe it/him. 

He was also asked about Stewart and whether we would see him in Detroit by September. He said he's doing well in Erie right now and that his next step was definitely Toledo, which could happen this year and that "stranger things have happened" when it came to whether he would be up in Detroit by the end of the year. 

He laughed off the idea of Gose pitching in Detroit this season (as Rod Allen apparently predicted last night). 

56 minutes ago, Shelton said:

On the radio this morning Avila said that their gun also said 99, although I still don't believe it/him. 

He was also asked about Stewart and whether we would see him in Detroit by September. He said he's doing well in Erie right now and that his next step was definitely Toledo, which could happen this year and that "stranger things have happened" when it came to whether he would be up in Detroit by the end of the year. 

He laughed off the idea of Gose pitching in Detroit this season (as Rod Allen apparently predicted last night). 

Gose has time. He is 26? Assuming he is going to be successful, that probably means he is going to be able to learn an offspeed pitch this year. At his age I'm going to guess he either can master it relatively quickly or he isn't going to (in which case the discussion is moot). So then maybe he can get to AAA this season. If he can get a call up in 2018 at 27 that is going to give him as many years to be successful as Andrew Miller. :o

Avila said he has a great fastball and already has a good curveball. He questioned why he was bothering to throw the change up when the other two pitches were so good. 

We'll see. 

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

I'll answer that. "Sure!  If we fall out of the race and trade our pending FA corner outfielders."

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

I'll answer that. "Sure!  If we fall out of the race and trade our pending FA corner outfielders."

Pretty much. That, or a late season injury. 

3 hours ago, Shelton said:

Avila said he has a great fastball and already has a good curveball. He questioned why he was bothering to throw the change up when the other two pitches were so good. 

We'll see. 

Zumaya worked relief in 2006 with FB/Curve instead of the more common FB/Chage or FB/slider and you can't argue his success. Is it that relievers find the change more effective or just that not that many guys throw a good curve? Probably the latter. Guys who can throw a good curve probably end up starting, which Zumaya was on track for right up until 2006.

I wonder why Gose didn't just stay as a pitcher?  I know he was always viewed as a guy that was going to produce plus defense out in center which certainly has value but didn't he always have a moderate ceiling with the bat?   It just seems like a lefty that can throw 99 and has a good curveball would have a much higher ceiling. 

4 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I wonder why Gose didn't just stay as a pitcher?  I know he was always viewed as a guy that was going to produce plus defense out in center which certainly has value but didn't he always have a moderate ceiling with the bat?   It just seems like a lefty that can throw 99 and has a good curveball would have a much higher ceiling. 

IDK - some guys want to play every day. Grienke almost quit because he didn't want to pitch. Wasn't Inge a pitcher also at the lower levels but also wanted to play everyday? He had an upper 90s arm certainly.

2 games with 1.1 innings pitched and a 27.00 ERA.

He's got nowhere to go but up.