Yoda

Star Wars: Han Solo film

Next year comes the 2nd Star Wars spinoff movie, this one being a movie about Han Solo. Now that filming is underway, TMZ has scooped the first photos. 

http://dlvr.it/PBCy6L 

Personally, I wasn't a huge fan of the casting because he's too short and it kills his look. But, the kid is a really good actor and I'm glad that they've made that the priority rather than just finding someone who looks like him. 

In short, while I don't like his look, I have no idea if he works as this character until we actually hear lines. I suspect he'll do just fine.

I'm actually more looking forward to Danny Glover's portrayal of Lando. That's going to be a harder character to pull off, IMO. 

28 minutes ago, Yoda said:

I'm actually more looking forward to Danny Glover's portrayal of Lando. That's going to be a harder character to pull off, IMO. 

Same...I'm oddly very optimistic about his performance though.

1 minute ago, drownwithyou said:

Same...I'm oddly very optimistic about his performance though.

Agreed. I just hope it's not a quick cameo. 

1 minute ago, Yoda said:

I would imagine it is a decent sized role (at the very least involved in Han winning the Falcon off of him) merely because of the casting choice... do we have any clue if they are going for a stand alone Lando movie?  I haven't seen anything about that but I'm also not seeking out info, so I guess if they were that would render my casting comment moot because a quick cameo would introduce him for his own stand alone.

Just now, drownwithyou said:

I would imagine it is a decent sized role (at the very least involved in Han winning the Falcon off of him) merely because of the casting choice... do we have any clue if they are going for a stand alone Lando movie?  I haven't seen anything about that but I'm also not seeking out info, so I guess if they were that would render my casting comment moot because a quick cameo would introduce him for his own stand alone.

Nah, they actually haven't announced any other other spin-offs after this one. They're supposed to this summer, which my guess is an Obi-Wan film, but who knows. 

1 minute ago, drownwithyou said:

I do not think Lando is a character that would get his own movie.  

1 minute ago, Yoda said:

Nah, they actually haven't announced any other other spin-offs after this one. They're supposed to this summer, which my guess is an Obi-Wan film, but who knows. 

I would imagine either Obi-Wan or Boba Fett, purely guesses on my part as well though.

1 minute ago, John_Brian_K said:

I would definitely agree with you, but that Donald Glover is so hot right now (/Mugatu voice) and you have plenty of fun story lines for the character (smuggling, gambling, ladies man, coming into his position in Cloud City, etc.) that I wouldn't be shocked if they went for it.

1 minute ago, John_Brian_K said:

I think they're going to do some things that people aren't expecting. There are lots of movies to be made and lots of interesting stories to tell. Lando's could be a lot of fun, from losing the falcon, to obtaining Cloud City, and everything in between. He's one of the most interesting characters in the whole series so I wouldn't rule it out. 

Just now, Yoda said:

I think they're going to do some things that people aren't expecting. There are lots of movies to be made and lots of interesting stories to tell. Lando's could be a lot of fun, from losing the falcon, to obtaining Cloud City, and everything in between. He's one of the most interesting characters in the whole series so I wouldn't rule it out. 

Get out of my head Yoda!

Not to derail but an Obi Wan film would be fun in the sense I assume Ewan McGregor would do it since he's expressed interest.  And he's 12 years older than he was at the end of Sith so the aging think matches up for the most part.

It would have to be his time between III and IV, correct?  Is there enough there to work with?  Maybe just one storyline, kind of like Rogue One.  An entire film around a single point.  What did the empire know of him after Sith?  DId Vader try to extract revenge for making him the way he was?  

This Han movie is a great idea.  Such an important character but we only know half his story. 

I expect Han getting the ship from lando is going to have an interesting spin. Like, maybe the expectation was that it would be temporary or lando could somehow get it back. But the movie ends with lando or Han on the run and some sort of falling out. 

2 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I expect Han getting the ship from lando is going to have an interesting spin. Like, maybe the expectation was that it would be temporary or lando could somehow get it back. But the movie ends with lando or Han on the run and some sort of falling out. 

Han really benefactors from this situation. 

5 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Not to derail but an Obi Wan film would be fun in the sense I assume Ewan McGregor would do it since he's expressed interest.  And he's 12 years older than he was at the end of Sith so the aging think matches up for the most part.

It would have to be his time between III and IV, correct?  Is there enough there to work with?  Maybe just one storyline, kind of like Rogue One.  An entire film around a single point.  What did the empire know of him after Sith?  DId Vader try to extract revenge for making him the way he was?  

This Han movie is a great idea.  Such an important character but we only know half his story. 

I go back and forth on a kenobi movie. I think it could be good, but I don't know that it will add much. It would be isolated to tatooine you would think. Although the chance is there for him to leave for some reason and fight to get back. 

I would like to see a story from the perspective of the empire between 3 and 4. Or maybe even immediately post ROTJ leading the battle of jakku, or post episode 4 after the Death Star was destroyed. It wouldn't have to tie into those movies, but introduce some other conflict for them. Could be tough to pull off, but who knows. Maybe you give it an uplifting tone at the end with your protagonist defecting to the rebels or something. We had that with Finn sort of, but defectors are not unique, and it could be more like a band of brothers type of thing. 

5 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Was there anything about Obi Wan in Star Wars Rebels?

There was this past season, yes. He was on tatooine, looked like old obi wan, and was his hermit self. Darth maul went there for revenge, and they battled. 

He has also appeared in the Star Wars comic in various one shot flashbacks to show him being the old hermit and looking over Luke. Basically, kenobi kept a journal while there, and Luke has it and reads about what kenobi was up to. 

So they aren't shying away from telling stories about him and he was obviously up to things. I'm sure if they wanted to make feature film story about him they could. 

1 hour ago, Yoda said:

I had to read this twice.....then I realize you entered the wrong Glover.

I had to read this twice.....then I realize you entered the wrong Glover.

I do this all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To me this discussion parallels the one we were having about GOT, there is quite literally an entire Universe of stories to be told.  Not all of the stand alones need to be about players we already know from the movies.

I think they need to start building stories from a different perspective.  So at some point in time they can merge the stories.

2 hours ago, Yoda said:

Given that this role is causing such a long delay in the new season of Atlanta, I would imagine he'll be a big part of the film.

10 hours ago, John_Brian_K said:

To me this discussion parallels the one we were having about GOT, there is quite literally an entire Universe of stories to be told.  Not all of the stand alones need to be about players we already know from the movies.

I think they need to start building stories from a different perspective.  So at some point in time they can merge the stories.

I think they will eventually do this with another saga. I feel like the spin-offs should mostly be for developing stories we know exist but don't have many details on. Such as character backstories. But who knows. 

On 5/20/2017 at 1:12 AM, Yoda said:

I think they will eventually do this with another saga. I feel like the spin-offs should mostly be for developing stories we know exist but don't have many details on. Such as character backstories. But who knows. 

A matter of phrasing.  Stand Alones...spin offs.  I am just referring to future movies.  We have the current main story line and a few stand alones that fill in some gaps in the current main story.  I will embrace them all.  I just would like to see a new story line.  Something that has not been covered yet.  Maybe not rewinds or things that happened in the past either.  Just start a fresh new story that just happens to take place in the star wars universe.

5 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

A matter of phrasing.  Stand Alones...spin offs.  I am just referring to future movies.  We have the current main story line and a few stand alones that fill in some gaps in the current main story.  I will embrace them all.  I just would like to see a new story line.  Something that has not been covered yet.  Maybe not rewinds or things that happened in the past either.  Just start a fresh new story that just happens to take place in the star wars universe.

Completely agree with this. The Skywalker story has about run its course.