RJBBREZ

QB competition

Today on the Greg, Big Drew and Jim show, Greg Henson stated he heard from several insiders that the competion between Peters and Speight is legit.  He also went on to say that Peters has closed the gap between the two.  I found this very interesting.  I know Peters looked great in the spring game and Speight struggled, but I dismissed all that because the spring game is just a scrimmage.  I really did not think this would be a competition but I may be way off.  Peters has the higher upside and with a young team surrounding him maybe JH wants them to grow together.  

What do you guys think?  Peters or Speight for '17? 

I think that Speight/Peters has all the makings of Brady/Henson 2.0.  Forget pro careers, think recruitment through college careers to date.  Speight will almost certainly start against UF, but I also thing Peters gets a look at some point early on--if not in JerryWorld.

Speight was playing with one OL starter during the Spring Game, but he had no excuse for not playing well in Rome.  We may very well not know who the starting QB is for sure before the Monday before opening kickoff.

There are logical arguments for either Peters or Speight to start next year.  You start Speight because he's played on the big stage before and he put up solid first-year starter numbers behind a spotty offensive line.  You start Peters because he's got more talent and more time to grow (theoretically) with all those talented first and second-year receivers.

If Harbaugh starts Peters then he's sure Peters is the guy that gives him the chance to win the most games this year--the other stuff doesn't matter to a guy that wants to win now.

If Speight hadn't gotten hurt last year I think he declares and goes in the 2nd or 3rd round, if you can project healthy stats for him.  It is a real possibility he declares after this year unless the wheels completely falls off and he looks like David Cone out there.  Peters could very well be the favorite to start next year regardless of if Wilton stays or goes.  I'm not sure if Speight is either on track to get his degree in the Spring, but it is his fourth year

Not to derail, I'm really interested in the WR battle more than who's throwing the ball come Fall.  It is a real possibility that Black and DPJ are Michigan's two best receivers as true frosh.

If Peters is able to beat out Speight & O'Korn, more power to him.  I think the depth at RB will help make the transition easier for the young WRs, which I agree should be a good battle.  

As a team, I'm much more concerned what they're going to do on the defensive side of the ball.  They have recruited good, young talent .. but they lost a lot.

I imagine Peters will have to beat him out by a large gap in order to be named starter. I'm rooting for it, but not expecting it

• Like 1

I also think this is a real competition and I wouldn't be surprised st all if Peters is the starter against Florida. 

Last year the conventional wisdom was that okorn was the starter and speight was far behind. 

19 hours ago, Shelton said:

I also think this is a real competition and I wouldn't be surprised st all if Peters is the starter against Florida. 

Last year the conventional wisdom was that okorn was the starter and speight was far behind. 

I have no doubt it's real competition.  Harbaugh appears to thrive on that.  I just think the team's success will be determined much more on how they replace all those starters on defense.

4 hours ago, djhutch said:

I have no doubt it's real competition.  Harbaugh appears to thrive on that.  I just think the team's success will be determined much more on how they replace all those starters on defense.

I'm worried about the secondary, and that's pretty much it. 

However, I'm not worried about the secondary vs UF--I'm pretty sure Malzone would be the starter there this year.  No offense to Malzone.

23 hours ago, Shelton said:

O'Korn hadn't started a football game in a long time going into summer last year, as where Speight is coming into summer as the returning starter that lead his team through a season where the team was five points from being undefeated.

I believe that Nas is correct in that Peters would have to do better than edge-out Speight in camp to win the job.  He's going to have to look like the next coming of Harbaugh himself.  The kid has all Jim's tools from back then, we'll just have to see how Speight reacts to the very real challenge.

1 minute ago, mickeyb105 said:

O'Korn hadn't started a football game in a long time going into summer last year, as where Speight is coming into summer as the returning starter that lead his team through a season where the team was five points from being undefeated.

I believe that Nas is correct in that Peters would have to do better than edge-out Speight in camp to win the job.  He's going to have to look like the next coming of Harbaugh himself.  The kid has all Jim's tools from back then, we'll just have to see how Speight reacts to the very real challenge.

I didn't mean to equate Speight's experience with okorn's. Obviously they are different situations. I was mostly just trying to comment on how things didn't go as the fan base expected. 

I don't really have an opinion about how much better either would have to be relative to the other, because that's impossible to know. There are so many factors in play. Also, I think it's rare for there to be a truly close race. 

It's really a shame he got hurt last year. 

I think Peters is probably a better QB and that Speight will start

Regardless of my feelings on Speight, he played well for a first year starter last year, and he gutted out an injury. I don't think many coaches would take the job away from him simply based on that. Harbaugh is definitely more of a merit based guy, but I still think Speight will be the starter on day 1.

1 hour ago, pyrotigers said:

I think Peters is probably a better QB and that Speight will start

Regardless of my feelings on Speight, he played well for a first year starter last year, and he gutted out an injury. I don't think many coaches would take the job away from him simply based on that. Harbaugh is definitely more of a merit based guy, but I still think Speight will be the starter on day 1.

Pretty much this.

I think speight has a lot of potential to very good. He had some great games. But he also had some poor games. Will he continue to develop? Who knows. 

I know nothing about Peters aside from reports on the internet. 

I will not be surprised if he starts every game next year. 

Speight had little experience last year and did all the things that make you think he should start this year. No reason Peters can't have a year like speightbdid last year. 

Of course, he has to show the coaches what they need to see. 

To me, harbaugh doesn't seem like the type that will defer to speight because it was his job last year. One of these guys will have to beat out the other. If it is truly 50/50, I don't know. You could make an argument that speight should stay in the role because he has more experience. But you could also argue that Peters should get the nod because he has more years of eligibility left and the team would benefit more from him gaining experience now. 

I prefer Speight slightly still, right here and right now, but there is a long ways to go before opening kickoff at JerryWorld.  I will not be unhappy if Peters is the starter, but will be really worried if O'Korn somehow is (because it would likely mean injuries).

My fearless prediction is that whoever is quarterback will be handed the keys to a much-improved offense from a year ago.  The receiving corps is quicker, the backfield is faster and the dropoff at TE shouldn't be super noticeable.  The OL should be quite a bit better in pass pro, perhaps slightly improved in the run game. 

Smith's blocking will be missed in the backfield, but it is hard to say how much.  I hope Harbaugh is done running wildcat, and that we will see a fair amount of empty sets this season--even on non-passing downs.  The influx of talent at WR could be the best I've ever seen at Michigan.

I agree that the offense will probably be better. It's going to have to be because it will hard to duplicate the defense from last year. 

23 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I agree that the offense will probably be better. It's going to have to be because it will hard to duplicate the defense from last year. 

the easiest way to make a defense better is keep them rested. 

3 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

the easiest way to make a defense better is keep them rested. 

And did we find that out the hard way during the Rich Rod era. 

His first year, he took over a pretty talented defense and made them pretty average by keeping them on the field seemingly all the time.  Incomplete passes, inconsistent run game and no downfield receiving targets made Brandon Graham and company gassed.

RR's last year, the offense was almost too effective to balance out a terrible odd-stack defense that was too small and slow to stop anyone.  So even though the offense was putting up gaudy numbers, they didn't stay on the field long enough to buy some rest of that swiss-cheesy defense.

Hopefully, we will never see the defensive depth chart as shallow as it was under RR again.

All gut feelings here, but watching Speight last year I just feel like he totally peaked.  Or at least that he was about a foot away from his ceiling.  

I think the unknown with Peters is really what's exciting.  The few great things we've seen in the spring has helped fuel that fire.

I trust JH.  Whoever is out there is the right guy for that game.