• Justin Wilson
    • Alex Wilson
    • Anibal Sanchez
    • Joe Jimenez
    • Bruce Rondon
    • Other on roster?
    • Other NOT on roster?

1 hour ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

Assmunch also said that that K-Rod is going to work on some stuff and come back and close later. Seems like this might have been more a move to get the media off his back than to right the ship, since he believes the ship is most right with K-Rod at his right hand.

6 hours ago, Shelton said:

I would love to have a better idea of the various arms we have in the minors that have potential to be major leaguers in the next couple years. Seems like this year we aren't hearing much. 

In Toledo, I know we have Jimenez and rondon, and Kyle ryan, and Arcenio Leon is pitching well. Farmer is an option I guess. 

Wasn't there some lefty starter that had good numbers last year but without overpowering stuff?

There is labourt in Erie now. 

Maybe I am not visiting the right sites but in years past it seemed easier to keep track of the minor leaguers. Maybe it is just a matter of it being early. 

Who do you want to know about?

6 hours ago, chasfh said:

Assmunch also said that that K-Rod is going to work on some stuff and come back and close later. Seems like this might have been more a move to get the media off his back than to right the ship, since he believes the ship is most right with K-Rod at his right hand.

Of course he said that. I told you he would say that. xD He said it to be respectful to K-Rod.  Managers always say that when they demote a long-time veteran closer.  It doesn't mean anything.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, chasfh said:

Assmunch 

My how utterly unclever this is. Assmunch! Bwa ha ha ha ha! I'm sure all of our prepubescent male forum members are giggling.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, chasfh said:

Why are you so convinced that Ausmus wants krod closing?

11 hours ago, Microline133 said:

Who do you want to know about?

Oh I don't know. Alexander and Baez maybe? Anyone else off the radar that could be making a leap. 

34 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Why are you so convinced that Ausmus wants krod closing?

He has said that if/once K-Rod regains his form, he could go back into the closer role, and he was signed to be closer, not a low leverage mop up guy. No, that's not proof positive. But it's my conclusion that he ultimately wants K-Rod as closer, and that's fine if K-Rod regains stud form and nails the job. I only hope that he doesn't go through another stretch of running K-Rod out there to blow saves in consecutive games.

but in the end it doesn't matter. Runs given up in the 9th count the same as runs given up in the 6/7/8. I am so persuaded that the whole 'closer' mystic is trash I'm bored with the discussion about. If KRod becomes an effective pitcher again it doesn't matter what inning Brad uses him in. If he doesn't and Brad uses him anyway we will lose games he enters whether it is in the 9th or the 6th.

9 hours ago, Shelton said:

Oh I don't know. Alexander and Baez maybe? Anyone else off the radar that could be making a leap. 

I don't see Alexander working in a relief role....hes a starter or bust for me.

Baez needs a lot of work, still very raw and inconsistent with stuff and command. I view him as a reliever in a couple of years, more likely 7th/8th inning type.

Ruben Alaniz is always a guy capable of having it click and becoming a legit bullpen option, but he's got a lengthy history of problems with consistency and some off the field stuff.

Both Gerson Moreno and Wladimir Pinto are triple digit arms that get a little true at high velocity and struggle to throw strikes. Theyre not helping this year or next.

Short of Jimenez making strides with his development to help this year, there's not much at all that's going to impact from within.

9 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

He basically said he wants K-Rod to be better and would use him should that come to pass.

If he gets a lot better, I would have no problem with him closing, but that seems unlikely.  

9 hours ago, chasfh said:

He has said that if/once K-Rod regains his form, he could go back into the closer role, and he was signed to be closer, not a low leverage mop up guy. No, that's not proof positive. But it's my conclusion that he ultimately wants K-Rod as closer, and that's fine if K-Rod regains stud form and nails the job. I only hope that he doesn't go through another stretch of running K-Rod out there to blow saves in consecutive games.

There is no reason for him to do that unless everybody else fails.  

Yeah I don't see him putting him back in the role unless everybody fails, what he said was probably just lip service.  I mean there's really nothing else he can say, he's going to want to make K-Rod believe that it is his job to win back not that he is going to be reduced to a mop up role the rest of the year. 

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

There is no reason for him to do that unless everybody else fails.  

I'm pretty sure he's not going to run every other reliever out there to close before he tries K-Rod there again.

58 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I'm pretty sure he's not going to run every other reliever out there to close before he tries K-Rod there again.

I'm just as sure he is not going to try K-Rod again unless he shows substantial improvement, which I doubt will happen.  

On 5/10/2017 at 8:18 PM, Microline133 said:

I don't see Alexander working in a relief role....hes a starter or bust for me.

Baez needs a lot of work, still very raw and inconsistent with stuff and command. I view him as a reliever in a couple of years, more likely 7th/8th inning type.

Ruben Alaniz is always a guy capable of having it click and becoming a legit bullpen option, but he's got a lengthy history of problems with consistency and some off the field stuff.

Both Gerson Moreno and Wladimir Pinto are triple digit arms that get a little true at high velocity and struggle to throw strikes. Theyre not helping this year or next.

Short of Jimenez making strides with his development to help this year, there's not much at all that's going to impact from within.

I'll offer a couple more names, though more 2018-2019 types....

Zac Houston - Up to 98 with ease, can flash a good breaking ball, setup future.

Jason Foley - Up to 97-98, pounds the strike zone and shows signs of commanding, filthy splitter, setup figure with a chance for more.

Mark Ecker - Another guy up to the upper-90s, has a broader arsenal, throws strikes, on the short side and can lose plane, 7th/8th inning ceiling.

15 minutes ago, Microline133 said:

Jason Foley - Up to 97-98, pounds the strike zone and shows signs of commanding, filthy splitter, setup figure with a chance for more.

Mark Ecker - Another guy up to the upper-90s, has a broader arsenal, throws strikes, on the short side and can lose plane, 7th/8th inning ceiling.

I take this as us having 3 Kimbrels in waiting. ?

10 minutes ago, Microline133 said:

When you speak of setup or 7th/8th inning type, I assume that's within the context of the current traditional bullpen.  What are your thoughts on current bullpen construction?  Is it optimal?  Is it going to change anytime soon or is this the way it's going to be for the foreseeable future?

It's going to be this way for the foreseeable future. There will be experiments, but it'll be a while before you see a consistent shift in usage patterns.

15 hours ago, Microline133 said:

It's going to be this way for the foreseeable future. There will be experiments, but it'll be a while before you see a consistent shift in usage patterns.

Probably true.  I think it won't change much unless one of the experimenting teams wins the World Series and the bullpen is viewed as a major factor.  

2 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Probably true.  I think it won't change much unless one of the experimenting teams wins the World Series and the bullpen is viewed as a major factor.  

Cleveland didn't win, but was damn close.  And not every team has an Andrew Miller at their disposal.  But I would think it would add some credence to a possible paradigm shift.

I don't know. The multi inning guy seems like the next money ball type of advancement in the game,  Or I could just be way off base.

5 hours ago, Casimir said:

Cleveland didn't win, but was damn close.  And not every team has an Andrew Miller at their disposal.  But I would think it would add some credence to a possible paradigm shift.

I don't know. The multi inning guy seems like the next money ball type of advancement in the game,  Or I could just be way off base.

You could be right, but I think people overstate how common those guys are.

6 hours ago, Casimir said:

I think the only way this happens is if the second inning of the multi inning guy is expected to be better than the single inning of the next best guy in the bullpen. 

I think that's generally unlikely. But yeah, if you have miller or devenski, go for it. 

I have to say that last nights game sort of restored my faith that perhaps one day, the Tigers will have both a good team and an awesome- shut down- closer again too.  The type of closer that says to the league "You are down by a run to the Tigers after 8 innings so, yea, your going to lose this game too".  I realize it is only one game so far, but it was magical what Justin Wilson did. 

Tiger fans know the script, with a 1 run lead, Tiger closers like Jones, Valverde, Benoit, K-Rod, against the first batter MUST miss with the first two pitches so far out of the strikezone that no hitter would swing at it, then try and throw a batting practice get me over fastball for strike one, then follow up that up with some garbage pitch that would make the count 3-1.  And for me, after I changed the tv channels in frustration and came back to the Tiger game after a commercial break,  the Tiger closer would somehow now have two runners on and one out and falling behind the next hitter too.  I never got used to those kinds of games,....no matter how they ended.  To me it always felt like the Tigers ended up winning those kinds of games because the other teams hitters didn't deliver instead of the Tigers closer was that dominating.

Last night, Wilson threw just 13 pitches to end the 9th by striking out the side. And of those 13 pitches, only 3 of those 13 pitches were balls.  None of the hitters got a wiff of anything down the heart of the plate.  All of those hitters looked like turkeys counting the days until Thanksgiving dinner. 

I know it's way too soon to put Wilson in the hall of fame or give him and MVP trophy for the year.  I know anybody could have good game and Wilson will remind us that he is human again too someday.  But for one moment in one game, I got to see a glimpse of what the tiger's bullpen might be some day,....and I liked it.