1. 1. If not K-Rod, then who?

• Justin Wilson
    • Alex Wilson
    • Anibal Sanchez
    • Joe Jimenez
    • Bruce Rondon
    • Other on roster?
    • Other NOT on roster?

I had pretty much forgotten about joe Jimenez. He's a guy that is probably better than what we have seen. If wilson or Wilson is moved to the closer role, jimenez could maybe step up in a setup role. We don't really have much other choice. 

1 hour ago, rhino said:

I think this is very likely the way things will go and I think it's the most reasonable course of action.

I don't see them DFA'ing Rodriguez as many have called for. It isn't the right thing to do as far as a extremely successful veteran player and from all accounts a good guy and it isn't in the best interest of the club to eat that salary at this point. He may have something left in the tank and if he does, even if it isn't in the closer role, we need him to be a useful arm.

I think this is correct.  I also think his status as one of the best closers ever is why he was given so much rope.    

I think Justin is the front runner but but I am not ruling out Alex Wilson.  I could see Ausmus leaving J. in the 8th inning role in which he has been succeeding and making A. the closer.  That makes sense because J. could be used with men on base if necessary.  A. might be work better as the closer who comes in with the bases empty.  He has also been more consistent than J. which is appealing for the role.  The good thing is neither of these guys or Greene has veteran status like K-Rod so if they fail they won't last long.  

I have a theory that most pitchers in MLB can pitch to an opponents OPS of below 1.000, so I'll take one of those guys.

I vote for Alex Wilson, mostly because I prefer to have Justin available for more high-leverage situations. I certainly would be fine with someone from the outside, but that seems highly unlikely at this point. Jimenez and Rondon would be terrible choices, given their inability so far to consistently get outs at the major league level.

14 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I think Justin is the front runner but but I am not ruling out Alex Wilson.  I could see Ausmus leaving J. in the 8th inning role in which he has been succeeding and making A. the closer.  That makes sense because J. could be used with men on base if necessary.  A. might be work better as the closer who comes in with the bases empty.  He has also been more consistent than J. which is appealing for the role.  The good thing is neither of these guys or Greene has veteran status like K-Rod so if they fail they won't last long.  

It all depends on the term a lot of people hate...mental toughness.  You need to not give a damn as a closer.  Go in, get outs, blow it the night before?  Forget about it and go in and get outs.

If J Wil is tougher that A Wil then he gets it and vice versa IMO.

1 minute ago, John_Brian_K said:

It all depends on the term a lot of people hate...mental toughness.  You need to not give a damn as a closer.  Go in, get outs, blow it the night before?  Forget about it and go in and get outs.

What if they are both equally tough mentally?  

1 minute ago, tiger337 said:

What if they are both equally tough mentally?  

Whoever has the better K/9 rate.  or you could ask them both and maybe one would rather not do it and the other would...still can be mentally tough and prefer the 8th inning.

14 minutes ago, Tigertown Rats said:

I vote for Alex Wilson, mostly because I prefer to have Justin available for more high-leverage situations. I certainly would be fine with someone from the outside, but that seems highly unlikely at this point. Jimenez and Rondon would be terrible choices, given their inability so far to consistently get outs at the major league level.

If Jimenez co-operates with his coaches and gains some confidence in his off speed he could be back pretty soon. Fulmer is maybe to high a bar as example but look at how quickly he worked his change-up into his repertoire once he committed to it. Jimenez has K'd the side in his last three Toledo appearances (EDIT: off by one - he had one non-K out). It's not the like the kid isn't good. Still, I don't see them bringing him back right now so they need some other way to get over the immediate problem.

1 minute ago, Gehringer_2 said:

If Jimenez co-operates with his coaches and gains some confidence in his off speed he could be back pretty soon. Fulmer is maybe to high a bar as example but look at how quickly he worked his change-up into his repertoire once he committed to it. Jimenez has K'd the side in his last three Toledo appearances. It's not the like the kid isn't good. Still, I don't see them bringing him back right now so they need some other way to get over the immediate problem.

I didn't mean to imply that Jimenez has no place in the Tigers bullpen in the near future. I'm just not endorsing him for closer until he has a lot more (any?) success at the major league level.

7 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

Whoever has the better K/9 rate.  or you could ask them both and maybe one would rather not do it and the other would...still can be mentally tough and prefer the 8th inning.

What if one of them has a very slight edge in mental toughness, but a big edge in K rate?  What if one of them has off the charts mental toughness but he sucks?

27 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

This is my thinking. I think it will A. Wilson for the reason you pointed out. It's still nice to have J. Wilson come in durign the 7th or 8th with two men out and needing to get an out. 

9 minutes ago, Tigertown Rats said:

I didn't mean to imply that Jimenez has no place in the Tigers bullpen in the near future. I'm just not endorsing him for closer until he has a lot more (any?) success at the major league level.

I would agree he's not going to close - I was also speaking more more generally that putting a Wilson in as closer is the simple part - its backfilling another arm or two that is the bind. Of course if they are going to carry both KRod and Sanchez, that means the pen is full but only has 4 pitchers they trust even moderately in it. I don't see how that situation can continue either.

They may think about giving Leon another crack. This is a guy who for 10 yrs has never been able to find the plate but right now he has only 1BB in 13 appearances so he is doing something it looks like he never did before.

9 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

What if one of them has a very slight edge in mental toughness, but a big edge in K rate?  What if one of them has off the charts mental toughness but he sucks?

If he has both then he gets the job.  If he has a slight edge in mental toughness, but the other guy has a bigger k/9 margin I would give the k/9 player the chance and see what he does.

You do not joke around a ton (or at least do not make it known usually), pretty sure you are joking around about the mental toughness thing, but from my own experience I can assure you there is such a thing and IMO it is something a closer needs more of than a regular bullpen guy.

50 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

He would probably make a killer relief pitcher. It goes back to the old question of whether 70IP even at high leverage, can be as valuable overall to the team as 220 pitched.

For the sake of argument say Bell or Farmer could step into the rotation and the team win 1/2 of their starts as compared to 2/3 of JVs (or whatever the exact number is - I didn't look it up) there might be an argument that we need the help in the pen that much. I kind of doubt it but I could be persuaded.

I cannot imagine a situation where 70 IP could equal 220 if for no other reason because there will be enough leveraged situations inside of the 220 (as well as some less than leveraged situations in the 70 IP) to make it impossible to close the gap.

2 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

If he has both then he gets the job.  If he has a slight edge in mental toughness, but the other guy has a bigger k/9 margin I would give the k/9 player the chance and see what he does.

You do not joke around a ton (or at least do not make it known usually), pretty sure you are joking around about the mental toughness thing, but from my own experience I can assure you there is such a thing and IMO it is something a closer needs more of than a regular bullpen guy.

Of course it's a real thing, but I think most players who reach the majors have a lot of it.  Otherwise, they would not have made it so far.  There might be a guy here and there who is afraid of closing, but I believe most competent relievers can handle it.    

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Tigertown Rats said:

I vote for Alex Wilson, mostly because I prefer to have Justin available for more high-leverage situations.

This is the correct answer.

30 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

Is it OK to give a damn if you blow the game in the 8th inning? What about the 7th?

5 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Of course it's a real thing, but I think most players who reach the majors have a lot of it.  Otherwise, they would not have made it so far.  There might be a guy here and there who is afraid of closing, but I believe most competent relievers can handle it.    

I think the majority of guys playing that sport have it also, but I also think it is a very real thing that some have 'it' more than others.  

J Wil has been pretty darn dominant this year so far, if he is put in the closer role and immediately craps the bed, does it have anything to do with having the entire game on your shoulders at the end or is it just coincidence?

5 minutes ago, pyrotigers said:

Is it OK to give a damn if you blow the game in the 8th inning? What about the 7th?

Sometimes I think I am speaking another language the way you you guys try to be all funny.  In baseball it is probably a good idea for all the players to have short memories and not think about what just happened the game before in terms of performance.

If the 7th inning guy blows it the hitters still have a chance to come in and take the lead back right?  Same with the 8th inning guy.  The 9th inning guy blows it and the game is over.

4 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

I think the majority of guys playing that sport have it also, but I also think it is a very real thing that some have 'it' more than others.  

J Wil has been pretty darn dominant this year so far, if he is put in the closer role and immediately craps the bed, does it have anything to do with having the entire game on your shoulders at the end or is it just coincidence?

I think TV/media great exaggerate this because it sells. 

I voted for Alex Wilson. He's a strike thrower, he's durable, and he actually has some experience pitching the 9th inning.

He can also work multiple innings, so they could bump J Wilson to the 7th some times.

1 minute ago, John_Brian_K said:

He started pitching poorly around this time last year without switching to the closer role.  So, it would be hard to say that it's a mental toughness thing.  Like I said, there is probably group of pitchers who fear the closer role. but I would bet that most would have no problem with it.  I believe most closers get the role because of high k rates and then they are labelled mentally tough after the fact.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

This. Not to mention the 7th/8th innings can be as stressful, if not more. Yes, it's more glaring when you blow the lead in the 9th, but closers rarely enter the game with men on base. 7/8 inning guys do.