Sign in to follow this  
brideck

April 2017

Lakeland finished the month of April with a 14-10 record, which is good for 2nd in the Florida State League.

I just finished listening to two members of the 2020 Detroit pitching staff (or just two kids that haven't found their ceiling yet) combine for a 4-hit shutout of the Florida Fire Frogs.  In all seriousness, some LFT pitchers had a pretty good first month of the year.  I listened to Dowdy and Labourt combine on the shutout tonight.  If the summer for the Tigers gets too tough to listen to, you could just follow the Flying Tigers instead.

April-LFT.jpg

Speaking of listening on the radio... how is it that Lakeland appears to be the only FSL team without a radio broadcast?  That means that it's really easy to listen to all of their road games, but the home ones are going to be hit or miss.

8 hours ago, brideck said:

Speaking of listening on the radio... how is it that Lakeland appears to be the only FSL team without a radio broadcast?  That means that it's really easy to listen to all of their road games, but the home ones are going to be hit or miss.

I asked staff a couple years ago why that was and was told they didn't want to give it to an intern to do but didn't want to hire someone "professional." 

They are the only team in affiliated organized ball (as far as I know)  that is too cheap to even provide photos of their players.  When you click on the player's name on the LFT roster, you only get a pic of the guy from some other team he has played for (in or out of the Tigers org).  If there is not one of those, then there is no photo.  Relief pitcher Malvin Martinez was there for parts of 2 seasons, with no picture.  This is disgusting, and should not be allowed by MLB, which came in like Nazi Storm Troopers a few years ago and dictated a million different things to MILB.  Providing photos of your players should have been one of them.

For three years, I called (on the phone) to try to get them to send me sets of their baseball cards.  Nobody ever answered the phone.  (But the Late Great Huey Taxi picked up the cards each year and sent them to me.  Wouldn't take my money.)

It is a situation as sad as it is disgusting.

On 5/1/2017 at 4:03 PM, saab93driver said:

I asked staff a couple years ago why that was and was told they didn't want to give it to an intern to do but didn't want to hire someone "professional." 

On 5/1/2017 at 5:19 PM, gzbach said:

They are the only team in affiliated organized ball (as far as I know)  that is too cheap to even provide photos of their players.

It is a situation as sad as it is disgusting.

Thanks, guys.  That's a sad story.

There have got to be some retirees in the area who could do play-by-play or take team photos on the cheap, don't there?  I hope that laser focus on the bottom line is paying dividends for the ownership down there at least.

4 hours ago, brideck said:

Thanks, guys.  That's a sad story.

There have got to be some retirees in the area who could do play-by-play or take team photos on the cheap, don't there?  I hope that laser focus on the bottom line is paying dividends for the ownership down there at least.

Detroit owns the team in Lakeland.  There's a lot of positive things going on in Lakeland but after being a regular attendee for 10+ years I think at the ownership level they aren't really that focused on the fan experience part of it as a high level priority.   I imagine they try not to lose money during the summer.  Spending money on marketing the minor league team in the community appears to be less than what some other teams in the FSL do (I still meet people who live here and don't even know Lakeland has a team in the summer).  I'd say at least at the park this year they have stepped up the experience during the game with the new stadium stuff - using the video board and such, but the attendance still seems about what it was before.  There were 600 people at the game in Lakeland last night and the weather was beautiful.  Meanwhile Clearwater had about 3700 people at their game on the same night.  They can't say that it's because the park in Clearwater is so much nicer than Lakeland anymore.  That excuse is gone.

GZBach - we now have a real gift shop so getting cards might be a possibility. As for the radio / internet broadbasts I was told the same thing that they wouldn't do it if they couldn't do it right. Wayne, where you at Mondays game ? The announced attendance was over 1,000. I wouldn't bet my life on it but there was a nice crowd. Things have definitely improved at the stadium this year. Another nice perk for the season tickets holders is an advanced sale of All Star tickets at 50 % off. 

Larry

Hi Larry,  I didn't go the this last Monday (I listened online while I was doing something else :-) ) I know with $1 tickets they get a few more people on Mondays - I think it's usually listed at about 1000  - but they (and I think every park) count season tickets as an attending ticket even if they are not used.  Honestly I don't need 3000 people but I do like it when there are more than a few hundred.  It's nice to have enough fans to get into it at least a little.  I sat at the berm bar last night, the view into the seating bowl looked liked about 300, maybe 400 people sitting.  I think just from a financial standpoint to pay the add'l ushers they have so the whole 360 park is open they need to draw better.  But then they do some weird things like they had the country music guy there - Michael Ray - they advertise on a flyer online he is going to sing the national anthem.... he throws out first pitch and then he's gone and someone else sings and no explanation as to why.  It didn't matter so much to me but I'm sure there were some people there who saw the advertisement on FB and wanted to see it.  Small but that's the kind of thing there's not much of an excuse for.      

LFT Cards have always been for sale in the gift shop, maybe it is after they are done with them on give away night, they may not even have 2017 cards yet.  But GZBach is right about the LFT pics online, they are sometimes last year's from WM or Connecticut or wherever.  Watkins is pitching tonight, his online photo is with a WM cap.  

I agree, season tickets are still a good deal. 

Figures that I tout the team, and then they immediately get swept in a 4-game series.  Such is life.

1 hour ago, brideck said:

Figures that I tout the team, and then they immediately get swept in a 4-game series.  Such is life.

Life as a .500 team.  They should have won last night.  At least we won't have to face the Stone Crabs again this season.